One of Our Thursdays is Missing by Jasper…

One of Our Thursdays is Missing

by Jasper Fforde

Series: Thursday Next (6)

2,0061055,320 (3.97)2 / 208
It is a time of unrest in the BookWorld. Only the diplomatic skills of ace literary detective Thursday Next can avert a devastating genre war. But a week before the peace talks, Thursday vanishes. Has she simply returned home to the RealWorld or is this something more sinister?
    Shades of Grey by Jasper Fforde (Kerian)
    Kerian: Though Shades of Grey stands apart from Fforde's other works for not at all being about books, he's most proud of it, the book keeps with his humor, and it should likewise be very enjoyable for fans of Fforde.
    Libriomancer by Jim C. Hines (TomWaitsTables)

English (103)  Dutch (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (105)
3.5 stars

This one is told from the point of view of one of the written Thursday Nexts, not the real one. It turns out the real Thursday is missing, and this written Thursday is trying to help find her.

I liked this! I’d been putting this one off, as I don’t remember liking the past couple in the series as much as I started off liking it. I loved how Fforde described the written Thursday when she arrived in the real world, as it was all new to her. Now, I have to admit that sometimes it got a bit confusing trying to follow, but it is a very witty, creative series. ( )
  LibraryCin | Nov 30, 2018 |
Barely a 4. It took me awhile to get hooked into the change of voice. ( )
  CSDaley | Mar 28, 2018 |
Much of my reading is done by way of recorded books (I spend too much time in the car).. this book was one that I read. (It's been a long time since the last Thursday Next, and I didn't want to wait!) Parts of the book I liked, parts of the book I felt I had to work at getting through to the next likable bit. At times, I had to read things out loud, in order to get the joke (usually a malaprop), and sometimes I still didn't get it.

I liked this book, but I didn't love it. I don't think there's anyone else out there who writes quite like Fforde, and I will definitely read anything - and everything - else he chooses to put out there. But I was disappointed, because I didn't love this, and I'd expected to. ( )
  LaurieGienapp | Dec 8, 2017 |
One of Our Thursdays is Missing, by Jasper Fforde
6th in the Thursday Next series

In this, the 6th Thursday Next book, the real Thursday is missing. If any one of these things seemss remotely interesting, read this series: Deregulated Imagination (TM); discussions of unpredictable syntax, and poor grammar; a dodo named Pickwick; a character named Mrs Malaprop; Outland tourism of the Book World; "not having a coffee" in a trendy coffee shop because the price is too prohibitive; The Great Library, Jurisfiction, and The Council of Genres; reading between the lines, and Epizeuxis.

Seriously. I cannot convey the witty repartee and wordplay that runs rampant in Fforde's writing. What a delight. ( )
  BoundTogetherForGood | Aug 25, 2017 |
More enjoyable language- and literature-bashing from Jasper Fforde. BookWorld has been re-designed to be geographical, ebooks are having an impact on reading processes and the written Thursday is faced with the disappearance of her RealWorld counterpart and an imminent war between the Racy Novel and Women's Fiction parts of the world.

I don't think you could get the most out of this book without having read the earlier ones - which isn't a criticism at all. Quite the reverse, as it means that there's a lot less explanation than there was in earlier books, which is a good thing.

I love the way Fforde mucks about with language and with literary conventions. "Double negatives were a complete no-no" was one of my favourite lines. ( )
  AJBraithwaite | Aug 14, 2017 |
Even those new to the Nextian universe must admire the audacity of the world Fforde has created, with its Steampunk-influenced contraptions, double entendre literary landmarks and skewering of the publishing industry, even the popularity of "the ghostwriter's" books. Ironically, this abundance of material may also make this latest installment, remade world notwithstanding, a bit bewildering for those new to the series.

There is no denying Fforde’s supersized imagination, linguistic agility and love of books, Books, BOOKS. One of Our Thursdays is Missing is crowded with both classical references (he tweaks Russian literature for its of clusters of impossible to distinguish names) and bestseller citings (Shreve Plaza and Picoult Junction are suggestively close). Dickens and the great, deleted Samuel Pepys; Hemingway and FitzGerald; Ludlum and Grisham; Lord of the Rings and I, Robot — no era or genre or style of books gets left out.

Read the earlier books, then read One Of Our Thursdays Is Missing. It is pure, inspired lunacy and the funniest book you will see this year.

With places like Our Blessed Lady of the Lobster, a designated love interest and diabolical wordplays, puns and hilarious illustrations including one captioned “Don’t anyone move…I think we’ve driven into a mimefield” complete with a license plate reading ISBN, this madcap tale delivers great good fun.

Jasper Ffordeprimary authorall editionscalculated
For Tif Loehnis
To whom I owe my career
and my consequence
much else besides
Everyone remembers where they were when the BookWorld was remade.

But all is not yet lost. Living at the quiet end of speculative fiction is the written Thursday Next, who is attempting to keep her own small four-book series both respectful to her illustrious namesake and far from the from specter of being remaindered.

Despite her desire to stay out of the spotlight, written Thursday Next is asked by Jurisfiction to investigate a novel that has suffered an in-red breakup and deposited a narrative debris field halfway across the BookWorld. It's not quite so straightforward: Someone has ground the ISBN numbers from the wreckage, and all of a sudden the mysterious Men in Plaid want her dead.

As the hunt for answers takes her from the Council of Genres to Fan Fiction and from Comedy to Vanity publishing, written Thursday realizes that real Thursday had been investigating a plot fiendish enough to be killed for. But who is responsible? Only a trip up the mighty Metaphoric River and a visit to the hideously frightening RealWorld can provide the answers.

With her clockwork butler, Sprockett, and her Designated Love Interest, Whitby Jett, Thursday has come to grips with her inability to live up to her namesake's talent and prove herself to the one person she respects more than anyone else: the real her...

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 141,580,176 books! | Top bar: Always visible