A Memory of Light by Robert Jordan

A Memory of Light

by Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson

Series: Wheel of Time (14)

2,020924,829 (4.31)89

I FINISHED IT.
Y'all, I finished it. This series had been so important to me for so long, and I've finished reading it, and now I don't know what to do with myself. ( )
  Ubiquitine | Nov 24, 2018 |
...and so it ends. I wish more character arcs had been wrapped up, but I guess Robert Jordan just created simply too many to find out what would happen to all in the end. ( )
  TravbudJ | Sep 15, 2018 |
Wow. That was a seriously epic conclusion. I feel like it's hard to review this book by itself, as it is the final chapter in what is really one L-O-N-G 14 volume epic (or 15 volume, if you count the prequel novel). I first began the series over a decade ago & have read it on & off over the years. The first 10 volumes I actually read twice. It feels surreal, not having another Wheel of Time book to begin. I will miss these characters.

There are a lot of polarized reviews of this series - most folks either really love it or hate it. There are a lot of common praises and critiques I see in the reviews of Jordan's series, and the truth of it is that most of the commonly repeated praises/gripes are all correct. This is a massive series with a ton of characters, side plots, details, etc. The author does have his idiosyncrasies, but I'm able to overlook those & enjoy the story just the same.

Is this book the perfect conclusion? It's hard to say. There are some things that I wish were handled differently. Some plot elements were dragged out, while others that I thought deserved more time were rushed & not as satisfying as I would have hoped. I could nitpick this detail or that detail, but realistically speaking, I think anyone who tries to write a 12,000 page story is going to have some difficulty in satisfyingly tying up all lose ends to the satisfaction of all readers.

Adam_Z | Mar 19, 2018 |
This was it, the very last book in The Wheel of Time. Aside from a few short breaks, I’ve spent a little over four months reading this series. Without spoiling anything, I can say this last book was 1000 pages of nearly non-stop action. There were some great moments, some bittersweet moments, some moments that could have been fleshed out a little better, and some missing moments. Overall, though, I was pretty satisfied with the conclusion.

I’m going to give my spoiler-free opinion on the series as a whole, and then I’ll have a few more spoiler-filled comments hidden behind spoiler tags. I thought this was a great series, although I wouldn’t recommend it to anybody who dislikes epic fantasy with its tendency to meander. I love epic fantasy, meandering included, so this series was right up my alley. Book one starts off with a deceptively straight-forward adventure story, focusing on a handful of characters with minimal point-of-view shifts. Each book slowly gets more complex as more and more threads are woven into the overall story. By the middle of the series there’s a very large number of minor but influential characters to keep track of and we experience a lot of different POVs, some for only a few pages. There are ambiguous characters, disguised characters, and characters who disappear for long periods of time.

I think I can understand why WoT has a reputation for being a slog in the middle, even though I never once experienced that. A few people have suggested that my faster pace through the series helped me, and I agree. With so many characters and storylines to follow, main events start to progress very slowly in the middle. With the details fresh in my mind, I was able to remain invested in all the storylines, both minor and major. I especially had fun trying to following everything and catch the hints and connections between the books, and I loved seeing how all the little details wove together to create the big picture. If I’d read the books over a longer period of time, I would have had trouble remembering enough details to help me appreciate all the storylines, so I would have been more frustrated about the slow pace of the main characters’ stories.

And now for the spoilery comments…
I was pretty satisfied with how things ended up for Rand, although I think the Rand/Moridin/Alivia thing could have been fleshed out better. We’ve known for several books that Alivia would “help him die”. The very fact that Alivia was supposed to help him die made me confident throughout the last few books that he wouldn’t actually die and that there would be some twist to it. Without that, I would have had more doubts about his fate. But, as far as what actually happened, I wanted more details about how and when they realized what that meant, how and when they planned to accomplish it, how it was carried out, etc.

I also have mixed feelings about the story essentially ending with Rand walking off into the sunset. It keeps the ending from feeling too pat, I guess, by leaving future events to the imagination of the reader instead of trying to give closure to everything, but I would have liked a little more closure myself. I’m rarely completely satisfied with endings to stories, though. I would happily read another 1000+ page book covering the beginning of the Fourth Age. :)

I think Mat had some of the best moments in this book, and a lot of great moments in the series overall. He started out as an exasperating character, but he grew more and more interesting. I also thought Sanderson added extra life to his character that made him especially fun in the last three books. I’m not sure if I could pick a favorite character, but Mat would be a top contender for sure. I also really liked Perrin, except for when he was obsessing over Faile or fretting over Berelain. His storyline would have been so much better without Faile, I think, although the Shaido storyline would have had to be reworked. Perrin had some great action in this last book, though. I would have liked more interaction between Rand, Mat, and Perrin throughout the books, or at least at the end. There were a couple good moments, like the scene when Rand went to meet with Tuon and he and Mat argued about who was “winning”. I liked that and I wanted more.

I liked Elayne in the early books, but she got more annoying to me as the series progressed. Her storyline held my interest, but it wasn’t a favorite. I did like Birgitte though, and I was happy that her death brought her back to her previous state, tied to the horn with her memories in-tact and periodically being spun out into a new life. I also enjoyed seeing Noal come back as one of the heroes tied to the horn.

Throughout the series, the Aes Sedai storyline was the one that most consistently held my interest, starting from when the girls first went to the white tower and became involved in hunting the Black Ajah, up through when Egwene was accepted by the White Tower as the Amyrlin Seat. I especially loved Egwene’s storyline from the point when she arrived in Salidar where the rebel faction was hiding. She did get less interesting to me in the previous book, mostly because her storyline focused more on Gawyn and I thought Gawyn was as annoying as Faile in his way.

I was sorry that Egwene died, although she did have a great heroic death. I figured at least one of the main characters was bound to die by the end for the “emotional impact”. I was also sorry when Siuan and Bryne died. And poor, faithful Bela! I also think, if Bashere had to die, he should have had a more drawn-out, heroic death instead of practically just being a side note.

I was relieved that Lan didn’t die, though. I always really liked his character, even though he didn’t get much page time until this last book. I especially liked Lan’s defeat of Demandred, using the advice he’d given Rand so long ago. I would have liked at least a couple pages of interaction between Lan and Moiraine after Moiraine was rescued; we got almost nothing. Same with Moiraine and Siuan. I really wanted to see more of Moiraine in general throughout this last book, and Thom too, but at least they did have their brief moments to shine. I had expected Luc and Lan to encounter each other at some point. Luc’s character also could have been fleshed out more.

Sometimes I latch onto some really, really minor thing in a book and then wonder why it never gets followed up on. In this series, I kept waiting for the characters to figure out that opposite-sex healings restored stilled/gentled people to full power whereas same-sex healings only restored them to partial power. Oh well, maybe they’ll finally figure it out during the Fourth Age. :)

Despite not seeing everything I would have liked to see by the end, I really, really enjoyed this series. If I ever reach a point in my life when I’m willing to spend more time on re-reading, this series would be a top candidate. It would be especially fun to re-read the early books with the knowledge from the later books. Although I’m looking forward to moving on and trying the many other books on my to-read list, I’m also going to miss this series and the characters in it. I hope WoT does get made into a TV series as rumored, and that they do a good job with it. I rarely watch TV, but this is one thing I would make an effort to see. ( )
1 vote YouKneeK | Mar 18, 2018 |
I have been reading this series for most of my life. I barely remember a time that I wasn't looking forward to the next book. That being said, the possibility of this book having a satisfactory ending for me is near zero, but Sanderson did okay. I enjoyed every word.

The worst thing about this is the fact that I will never have another Wheel of Time novel to look forward to. It breaks my heart but it is time to move on to other things, so hurry up with the next Dresden novel, Butcher! ( )
  Jamie.Kessinger | Dec 14, 2017 |

Robert Jordanprimary authorall editionscalculated
Sanderson, Brandonmain authorall editionsconfirmed
Kramer, MichaelNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mitchell, EllisaIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Nielsen, Matthew C.Illustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Reading, KateNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Whelan, MichaelCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Harriet, the light of Mr. Jordan's life, and for Emily, the light of mine.
Bayrd pressed the coin between his thumb and forefinger. (Prologue)
The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend.

Since 1990, when Robert Jordan’s The Wheel of Time® burst on the world with its first book, The Eye of the World, readers have been anticipating the final scenes of this extraordinary saga, which has sold over forty million copies in over thirty languages.

When Robert Jordan died in 2007, all feared that these concluding scenes would never be written. But working from notes and partials left by Jordan, established fantasy writer Brandon Sanderson stepped in to complete the masterwork. With The Gathering Storm (Book 12) and Towers of Midnight (Book 13) behind him, both of which were # 1 New York Times hardcover bestsellers, Sanderson now re-creates the vision that Robert Jordan left behind.

Edited by Jordan’s widow, who edited all of Jordan’s books, A Memory of Light will delight, enthrall, and deeply satisfy all of Jordan’s legions of readers.

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass.

What was, what will be, and what is,

may yet fall under the Shadow.

Let the Dragon ride again on the winds of time.

The conclusion to the Wheel of Time series draws on notes left by the late Robert Jordan.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,709,271 books! | Top bar: Always visible