A Memory of Light by Robert Jordan

A Memory of Light

by Robert Jordan, Robert Jordan, Jordan Robert, Brandon Sanderson

Series: Wheel of Time (14)

I loved this. I want more. Wow. Just wow. ( )
  ReadandFindOut | Jul 14, 2017 |
tldr: Worth it. Worth all the re-reads. Worth the whole 14 volumes. Worth the long agonising waits through the years (Book 7-9) before I gave it up to wait for the last book.

Slightly longer: I may have spoiler-fied myself towards certain things in AMoL. But it did not detract from the experience. One heck of a ride, many tears and many heartbreaks. Even now I am still reeling from it. I feel a bit lost - lost for words. There should have been more deaths/there should have been no deaths/there were too many deaths/too little. At times I felt like the shreds of my being were also being battered and ripped apart. Oh, the tears.I thought only Fitz-Chivalry and Fool could do this to me. I have a feeling I will be having episodes of sitting and just staring at nothing throughout the next few weeks.

Gripes?: I will not start nit picking and pulling strands apart, even though in the day a goodly amount of my WoT experience was going through all the nit-picking forums & fansites that combed through each detail with a fine-toothed comb. If I started, I doubt I could stop, there are just too many things that I could pick on. And some of the character deaths? I think just the mere outrage over some of those deaths speaks for themselves. I love those characters. It speaks volumes when thinking about how they died makes me teary and want to rage. Because if they didn't matter, you wouldn't care. The rational part of me takes it all with a grain of salt & a "such is life" sigh.

A bit of rambly nostalgia: I first read The Eye of the World towards the end of 1995, at the time I was still in high school, browsing the shelves of the Times book store in a mall called "The Mall". It's funny how I can remember that. I can see the store, the way everything was arranged. I remember the shelf I pulled it off - I remember I thought it was a book that a friend had recommended (I checked afterwards and it wasn't because she did not know the book) and I remember staring at it and having an intense debate in my head whether this was the book that was recommended. I think, in the end, the cover sold me (lol - let's not have words about Mr. Darrell K. Sweet (may he RIP) and his WoT covers - that is a debate all its own and the WoT fandom would probably be the lesser for it). Well, I bought it that day and the rest - as they say - is history...

Oh, I will miss you Wheel of Time. But that was a great a send off as any could have wished.

He came like the wind,
like the wind touched everything,
and like the wind was gone...

Hats off to you Mssr's Jordan and Sanderson. ( )
1 vote kephradyx | Jun 20, 2017 |
It's not an ending, it's THE ending and thank the dark one for that.

Sanderson pulled it off moderately well, although some choices were rather silly and felt contrived (Gawyn went after Demandred why exactly?) ( )
  pan0ramix | May 26, 2017 |
Not bad at all, but I just can't dredge up the depth of feeling for this as I could have about 12 years ago. I definitely have quibbles with some details, but I'm not enough of an expert to know if they're really worth quibbling over. ( )
  sinceyouasked | Mar 17, 2017 |
If the year of books of 2013 needed a signature moment, then perhaps this is it. I started reading the Wheel of Time in the mid 90's, and though I stopped actually buying them after Book 9, I persevered at the library as Brandon Sanderson resurrected the series from Robert Jordan's notes after the original author's death. And 'A Memory of Light' wraps up the tale with considerable panache, the entire volume concerning itself with the 'Last Battle', in its myriad parts. Each main character plays their role, there are deaths aplenty, and not just of the supporting cast. Sanderson even tips his lid to Jordan by seeming to forget a major player for 300 pages before returning them to the fray in the nick of time. A very satisfying conclusion. ( )
  orkydd | Feb 2, 2017 |

Mitchell, EllisaIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Nielsen, Matthew C.Illustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Reading, KateNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Whelan, MichaelCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Harriet, the light of Mr. Jordan's life, and for Emily, the light of mine.
Bayrd pressed the coin between his thumb and forefinger. (Prologue)
The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend.

Since 1990, when Robert Jordan’s The Wheel of Time® burst on the world with its first book, The Eye of the World, readers have been anticipating the final scenes of this extraordinary saga, which has sold over forty million copies in over thirty languages.

When Robert Jordan died in 2007, all feared that these concluding scenes would never be written. But working from notes and partials left by Jordan, established fantasy writer Brandon Sanderson stepped in to complete the masterwork. With The Gathering Storm (Book 12) and Towers of Midnight (Book 13) behind him, both of which were # 1 New York Times hardcover bestsellers, Sanderson now re-creates the vision that Robert Jordan left behind.

Edited by Jordan’s widow, who edited all of Jordan’s books, A Memory of Light will delight, enthrall, and deeply satisfy all of Jordan’s legions of readers.

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass.

What was, what will be, and what is,

may yet fall under the Shadow.

Let the Dragon ride again on the winds of time.

The conclusion to the Wheel of Time series draws on notes left by the late Robert Jordan.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,077,001 books! | Top bar: Always visible