From Beirut to Jerusalem (1989)

by Thomas L. Friedman

"If you're only going to read one book on the Middle East, this is it."---Seymour M. Hersh One of the most thought-provoking books ever written about the Middle East,From Beirut to Jerusalem remains vital to our understanding of this complex and volatile region of the world. Three-time Pulitzer Prize winner Thomas L. Friedman drew upon his ten years of experience reporting from Lebanon and Israel to write this now-classic work of journalism. In a new afterword, he updates his journey with a fresh discussion of the Arab Awakenings and how they are transforming the area, and a new look at relations between Israelis and Palestinians, and Israelis and Israelis. Rich with anecdote,history, analysis, and autobiography,From Beirut to Jerusalemwill continue to shape how we see the Middle East for many years to come.… (more)

Quite insightful. Best part that Friedman offers practically implementable options for initiating a process that in the long run ensures never-ending peace in the Middle East. I wish such a solution makes way into Indo-Pakistan dispute as well. ( )
  Mutamurid | Aug 20, 2020 |
The section on Beirut I found fascinating. The section on Jerusalem less so. Perhaps just because we've heard so much about Jerusalem for so many years. ( )
  WilliamMcClain | Jun 9, 2020 |
gift from Jonathan, christmas 1990.
  AlanBudreau | Apr 4, 2018 |
Excellent! Very very informative if you are interested in understanding the intricacies of Middle Eastern politics and culture. ( )
  khinman7 | Feb 6, 2017 |
This book follows a chronology of the Middle East that begins in 1882 and ends in 1988. It could be seen as a love story, a biography about a region Friedman knows intimately and loves dearly despite its many contradictions. In spite of the ever-roiling Arab-Israeli conflict Friedman is right in the thick of it and writes as if he is at home. While he has a reporters flair for the detail there is a cavalier nonchalance when it comes to the dangers. He has grown used to the gunfire, the bombings and the kidnappings. His ambivalence in the face of such violence could almost be comical if it was not so conflicted. ( )
  SeriousGrace | May 19, 2015 |
For my parents, Harold and Margaret Friedman
In June 1979, my wife, Ann, and I boarded a red-and-white Middle East Airlines 707 in Geneva for the four-hour flight to Beirut.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 151,443,937 books! | Top bar: Always visible