|13,413 (13,812)||274||1,121|| (4.01)||100||0|
- My Family and Other Animals 3,649 copies, 107 reviews
- Birds, Beasts, and Relatives 885 copies, 28 reviews
- A Zoo in My Luggage 634 copies, 8 reviews
- The Bafut Beagles 522 copies, 10 reviews
- The Whispering Land 473 copies, 8 reviews
- Fillets of Plaice 453 copies, 3 reviews
- The Drunken Forest 451 copies, 6 reviews
- The Amateur Naturalist 441 copies, 1 review
- Menagerie Manor 425 copies, 4 reviews
- Rosy Is My Relative 354 copies, 4 reviews
- The Overloaded Ark 353 copies, 8 reviews
- Two in the Bush 351 copies, 5 reviews
- Catch Me a Colobus 340 copies, 3 reviews
- Three Singles to Adventure 333 copies, 6 reviews
- The Garden of the Gods 330 copies, 10 reviews
- Encounters with Animals 324 copies, 3 reviews
- Beasts in My Belfry 306 copies, 5 reviews
- Golden Bats and Pink Pigeons: A Journey to the Flora and Fauna of a Unique… 273 copies, 3 reviews
- The Corfu Trilogy 258 copies, 3 reviews
- The Stationary Ark 225 copies, 3 reviews
- The Picnic and Suchlike Pandemonium 199 copies, 4 reviews
- The Aye-Aye and I: A Rescue Journey to Save One of the World's Most… 197 copies, 5 reviews
- Marrying Off Mother and Other Stories 195 copies, 7 reviews
- The New Noah 159 copies, 1 review
- The Battle for Castle Cockatrice, or The Talking Parcel 138 copies, 4 reviews
- The Mockery Bird 121 copies, 2 reviews
- How to Shoot an Amateur Naturalist 105 copies
- The Ark's Anniversary 100 copies, 2 reviews
- Fauna and Family: An Account of the Durrell Family of Corfu 94 copies, 2 reviews
- The Fantastic Flying Journey 92 copies, 1 review
- The Donkey Rustlers (Lions) 80 copies
Top members (works)
|Date of birth|
|Date of death|
|Country (for map)|
Information from the Japanese Common Knowledge. Edit to localize it to your language.
|Place of death|
|Places of residence|
|Awards and honors|
Gerald Durrell was born in India in 1925. His family settled on Corfu when Durrell was a boy and he spent his time studying its wildlife. He relates these experiences in the trilogy beginning with My Family and Other Animals, and continuing with Birds, Beasts and Relatives and The Garden of the Gods. In his books he writes with wry humour and great perception about both the humans and the animals he meets.
On leaving Corfu he returned to England to work on the staff of Whipsnade Park as a student keeper. His adventures there are told with characteristic energy in Beasts in My Belfry. A few years later, Durrell began organising his own animal-collecting expeditions. The first, to the Cameroons, was followed by expeditions to Paraguay, Argentina and Sierra Leone. He recounts these experiences in a number of books, including The Drunken Forest. Durrell also visited many countries while shooting various television series, including An Amateur Naturalist.
In 1958 Gerald Durrell realised a lifelong dream when he set up the Jersey Zoological Park, followed a few years later by the Jersey Wildlife Preservation Trust.
Rosy is My Relative, his first novel, was published in 1968. Whether in a factual account of an expedition or a work of non-fiction, Gerald Durrell's style is exuberant, passionate and acutely observed. Gerald Durrell died in 1995.
Improve this author
Gerald Durrell is currently considered a "single author." If one or more works are by a distinct, homonymous authors, go ahead and split the author.
Gerald Durrell is composed of 28 names. You can examine and separate out names.