My Family and Other Animals by Gerald…

My Family and Other Animals (1956)

by Gerald Durrell

Series: Corfu Trilogy (Book 1)

English (96)  Spanish (5)  Catalan (3)  Italian (2)  Finnish (1)  All languages (107)
This book, along with the other two in the trilogy, is the basis for the TV serious "The Durrells of Corfu." The book is more focused on the animals and Gerald, but many of the incidents in the TV version are described in the book. An enjoyable read. ( )
1 vote addunn3 | Nov 26, 2018 |
Can't tell if I didn't like the book or just didn't like the family. Larry is a total dick who treats his mother (and everyone else around him) with utter disdain. Gerry is a completely undisciplined little twat who - with total disregard for his family's comfort or safety - treats his home like a zoo (yes . . I know who/what he later becomes). I didn't find this story hilarious or heartwarming like other reviewers, just noticed that the mother let her kids run roughshod all over her. ( )
  knp4597 | Mar 19, 2018 |
The account of the author's sojourn on Corfu pre-WWII with his mother and elder siblings. Do not read this one in bed when your partner is trying to sleep - I managed to wake him up when I got to 'Perseus' rescue of Andromeda'.

A classic; family reminiscence (which is extremely funny) interleaved with naturalism. Recommended.
  Maddz | Feb 9, 2018 |
Este libro nos enseña a mirar la naturaleza con otra perspectiva. Veremos como los animales en realidad se ponen de morros, te castigan, se revelan y te miran con sarcasmo. Una forma de fijarse en detalles que nos rodean que solemos pasar por alto. Y luego esta la rocambolesca familia de Gerald Durrell. No es un liro para todo el mundo ya que puede resultar algo lento. Pero a mí me ha gustado. ( )
  andresmma | Jan 28, 2018 |
Really enjoyed this. An easy, relaxed read. Also, he mentioned lacewing flies! Didn't know they were a real thing! I remember them from Harry Potter. ( )
  lydiasbooks | Jan 17, 2018 |

Gerald Durrellprimary authorall editionscalculated
Barrett, PeterIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Davenport, NigelNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Harper, GeraldNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Morpurgo, MichaelIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pacey, StevenNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ullberg, MargaretaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"It is a melancholy of mine own, compounded of many simples, extracted from many objects, and indeed the sundry contemplation of my travels, which, by often rumination, wraps me in a most humorous sadness."--As You Like It
To My Mother
This is the story of a five-year sojourn that I and my family made on the Greek island of Corfu.
From that moment I guarded the nest jealously. I erected a protecting wall of rocks round it, and as an additional precaution I wrote out a notice in red ink and stuck it on a pole nearby as a warning to the family. The notice read: "BEWAR - EARWIG NEST - QUIAT PLESE." It was only remarkable in that the two correctly spelt words were biological ones.
Gradually the magic of the island settled over us as gently and clingingly as pollen. Each day had a tranquility, a timelessness, about it, so that you wished it would never end. But then the dark skin of night would peel off and there would be a fresh day waiting for us, glossy and colorful as a child's transfer and with the same tinge of unreality.
'But how did the scorpions get on the table, dear?’
'That bloody boy. . . . Every matchbox in the house is a deathtrap. . . . '
Mother, looking like a tiny, harassed missionary in an uprising, was dragged unwillingly to the nearest lamp-post by an exuberant Roger, and was forced to stand there, staring into space, while he relieved the pent-up feelings that had accumulated in his kennel.
My family and other animals is by Gerald (Malcolm) Durrell

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0142004413, Paperback)

As a self-described "champion of small uglies," English writer Gerald Durrell (1925-1995) devoted his life to writing and the preservation of wildlife, from the Mauritius pink pigeon to the Rodriques fruit bat. My Family and Other Animals was intended to embrace the natural history of the Greek island of Corfu, but ended up as a delightful account of his family's experiences that were, according to him, "rather like living in one of the more flamboyant and slapstick comic operas."

As a 10-year-old boy, Gerry left England for Corfu with "all those items that I thought necessary to relieve the tedium of a long journey: four books on natural history, a butterfly net, a dog, and a jam-jar full of caterpillars all in imminent danger of turning into chrysalids." Durrell's descriptions of his family and its many eccentric hangers-on (he stresses that "all the anecdotes about the island and the islanders are absolutely true") are highly entertaining, as is the procession of toads, scorpions, geckos, ladybugs, glowworms, octopuses, the puppies Widdle and Puke, and the Magenpies. This is a lovely book.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:12:22 -0400)

A memoir of an English boy growing up on the Greek island of Corfu recounts the author's humorous adventures as he collects all kinds of animals and insects and brings them back to the house, much to his family's dismay.

3 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141321873, 0141037474, 0241951461

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,804,737 books! | Top bar: Always visible