Attachments by Rainbow Rowell

Attachments

by Rainbow Rowell

Boy Meets Girl by Meg Cabot (kathleen.morrow)
    kathleen.morrow: Similar humor and writing. In both stories, 2 female friends exchange witty, funny emails.
    The Rosie Project by Graeme Simsion (foggidawn)
    Mister Romance (Masters of Love Book 1) by Leisa Rayven (fueledbycoffee)
    fueledbycoffee: Slow burn, good writing
    Jemima J: A Novel About Ugly Ducklings and Swans by Jane Green (StefanieGeeks)
    StefanieGeeks: cyber romance and falling in love over email, witty women.
    Love Virtually by Daniel Glattauer (Anonymous user)

English (142)  German (1)  Piratical (1)  All (144)
I have all the feels right now. *hugs book to chest* ( )
  Emma_Manolis | Jun 27, 2017 |
Don't judge me. I know the premise of how the main characters fell in love is creepy and weird but I loved the story. I am also well aware that the characters seem too perfect (I mean they had some weird quirks, especially Lincoln) but I don't care, sometimes it's nice to just read a cheesy romance novel. :) ( )
  jthao_02 | May 18, 2017 |
Rating: 4.5/5

I went into this book not knowing what to expect at all! After trying to read Fangirl and not being able to finish it..I wasn't sure about this one either, so I went in really not expecting to finish this one either...But it cause my attention almost immediately.

Yes, there were characters that got on my last nerve!

Chris & Justin were two of them!

Justin was arrogant & dropped the F-Bomb way too much for me! Now, don't get me wrong, I am not perfect & I do cuss but I can go without cussing and dropping the F-Bomb as much as he does!

Chris was a distant stupid little man who just, was, well, stupid!
Someone who just didn't know WTHeck he wanted & really and truly didn't know a good thing when he had it! But I feel he will regret his decision later!

But I did love, love, love Lincoln! His mom was annoying as all get out, but as a mom, I also understand where she is coming from as well & how hard it is to let go. That Empty Nest Syndrome is Real! lol...And mine aren't even old enough to leave the nest yet and I am feeling it already because they are growing up so fast!

I enjoyed how Beth & Jennifer could be pretty honest about who they are and their issues in their personal lives and their relationships! With themselves and each other.

Did I say I love Lincoln?!?! lol

Now, I won't say this is a Top Favorite, but it is really and truly worth the 5 stars I gave it!

(I also listened to the Audible book,, read by Laura Hamilton...I enjoyed her narration tremendously. If I happen to read any other books and listen to audios with her narration, she will be an automatic pick!) ( )
  obridget2 | May 14, 2017 |
[*personal rants coming through]

It might be romantic when a guy falls in love on who you are first before seeing your appearance. The privacy, however, is spared.

I got high expectations in this book because I really like "Eleanor & Park". When I started reading it, all my mind was saying b-o-r-i-n-g. It was hard for me to read the e-mail conversations, and I kept on floating at the first part.

Who would use company's e-mail to chat about private lives? More importantly, if you know that your e-mails are being filtered, why would you? And now that you found out who's the one in charge of reading it, you will get mad, huh?
And if you're the boss of the company, why would you prohibit bad words? What are they, high school students?

Shoving the common sense and reality aside, I think the story is cute. In the usual chick lits I've read, it's pretty much the side and perspective of a female. In here, it's the guy who is the pathetic one lol I mean the one who wants to be loved. It's really adorable when a guy actually likes you because of being you.

It's just that I can't seem relate to their work and stories. I also can't relate with the movies and series they were talking about =.= This is not a problem, but it somehow bugs me.

A thing that I observed is their culture. In Filipino culture, it is normal to stay with your family as long as you want to. Some people are still living with their parents even if they are already married. While in other cultures, like in this book, if you reach the legal age, it is normal to move out and be independent. In either way, choosing to stay or move out constitutes a very important decision in one's life. ( )
  phoibee | Apr 23, 2017 |
What a great book. I have recommended this to others. I was intrigued with the use of emails for the plot. Loved it. ( )
  travelgal | Apr 17, 2017 |
For Kai, who's better than fiction
From: Jennifer Scribner-Snyder
To: Beth Fremont
Sent: Wed, 08/18/1999 9:06AM
Subject: Where are you?

Would it kill you to get here before noon?

A strikingly clever and deeply moving story about falling in love with the person who makes you feel like the best version of yourself. Even if it's someone you've never met.

Beth Fremont and Jennifer Scribner-Snyder, coworkers at The Courier, know the newspaper monitors their office e-mail. But they still spend all day sending each other messages, gossiping about their coworkers, and baring their personal lives like an open book. Jennifer tells Beth everything she can't seem to tell her husband about her anxieties over starting a family. And Beth tells Jennifer everything, period.

Meanwhile, Lincoln O'Neill still can't believe that it's his job to monitor other people's e-mail. When he applied to be an Internet security officer, he pictured himself protecting the newspaper from dangerous hackers — not sending out memos every time somebody in Accounting forwarded an off-color joke to the person in the next cubicle.

Lincoln is supposed to turn people in for misusing company e-mail, but he can't quite bring himself to crack down on Beth and Jennifer. He can't help being entertained — and captivated — by their stories. But, by the time Lincoln realizes he's falling for Beth, it's way too late for him to ever introduce himself. What would he say to her? "Hi, I'm the guy who reads your e-mail, and also, I love you?"

With snapping dialogue and irresistible charm, Rainbow Rowell transforms an ordinary IT guy into a lovable and endearing romantic hero and proves that falling in love never happens the way you plan it. Written with whip-smart precision and charm, Attachments is a fresh and energetic debut that marks the arrival of an exciting new voice in fiction.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0525951989, Hardcover)

"Attachments is so perfectly engaging, so sly, and so funny I read it all in one sitting, then went back and read my favorite scenes a second time...I hope Rowell never stops writing."
-Haven Kimmel

Beth and Jennifer know their company monitors their office e-mail. But the women still spend all day sending each other messages, gossiping about their coworkers at the newspaper and baring their personal lives like an open book. Jennifer tells Beth everything she can't seem to tell her husband about her anxieties over starting a family. And Beth tells Jennifer everything, period.

When Lincoln applied to be an Internet security officer, he hardly imagined he'd be sifting through other people's inboxes like some sort of electronic Peeping Tom. Lincoln is supposed to turn people in for misusing company e-mail, but he can't quite bring himself to crack down on Beth and Jennifer. He can't help but be entertained-and captivated- by their stories.

But by the time Lincoln realizes he's falling for Beth, it's way too late for him to ever introduce himself. What would he say to her? "Hi, I'm the guy who reads your e-mail, and also, I love you." After a series of close encounters and missed connections, Lincoln decides it's time to muster the courage to follow his heart . . . even if he can't see exactly where it's leading him.

Written with whip-smart precision and charm, Attachments is a strikingly clever and deeply romantic debut about falling in love with the person who makes you feel like the best version of yourself. Even if it's someone you've never met.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:02:56 -0400)

"'Hi, I'm the guy who reads your e-mail, and also, I love you...' Beth Fremont and Jennifer Scribner-Snyder know that somebody is monitoring their work e-mail. (Everybody in the newsroom knows. It's company policy.) But they can't quite bring themselves to take it seriously. They go on sending each other endless and endlessly hilarious e-mails, discussing every aspect of their personal lives. Meanwhile, Lincoln O'Neill can't believe this is his job now--reading other people's e-mail. When he applied to be 'internet security officer,' he pictured himself building firewalls and crushing hackers--not writing up a report every time a sports reporter forwards a dirty joke. When Lincoln comes across Beth's and Jennifer's messages, he knows he should turn them in. But he can't help being entertained-and captivated-by their stories. By the time Lincoln realizes he's falling for Beth, it's way too late to introduce himself. What would he say . . . ?"… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,222,144 books! | Top bar: Always visible