The Doll: The Lost Short Stories by Daphne…

The Doll: The Lost Short Stories (2011)

by Daphne du Maurier, Polly Samson (Introduction)

English (23)  Spanish (1)  All languages (24)
The cover of his book is done by a graphic design house? I guess computer generated? I'm not sure. Someone had to be behind the art of this, I would give kudos if I knew the name because I really like the cover.

These stories are all so quietly brilliant. The language used is simple and poetic. Nothing forced, just back-to-basics story telling. Enjoyed this a lot. ( )
  DanaJean | Jun 18, 2018 |
Simultaneously naive and cynical. Clever, graceful, emotional, but not worth reading (imo) unless you're either a completist or (like me) wanting to sample her writing before looking at the big novels. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |
"The Doll" is the title story of a collection of early stories published in a volume as The doll. Most stories were written in the 1920s - 1930s, some while she was still living at home with her parents. The title story, "The Doll" was written in 1927, when Daphne du Maurier was only 20 years old. Some of these stories were published in magazines, but were long lost or uncollected. They were rediscovered and published, some for the first time, in 2011.

As one might expect of neglected youth work, The doll is a mixed bag. The collection is probably very valuable to scholars and lovers of the work of Daphne du Maurier, but to other readers the quality of the stories varies a lot. The title story, "The Doll" is an outstanding piece of fiction, particularly psychologically very interesting, verging on the pathological. One could read it as a mix between horror and erotica. It is definitely haunting, and will stay with you for a long time.

Most stories in the collection could be described as 'atmospheric'. Blending the atmospheric, rich description with a sense of alienation creates a typical adolescent fiction haunted by sexual repression and death, however, Daphne du Maurier's prose style is clearly very good, and developing. Weird, but interesting. ( )
  edwinbcn | Oct 21, 2015 |
I have never read a book that reflects so much human insight. The stories are made hilarious by exaggeration. The only reason why I don't value the book with five stars is because I prefer novels to short stories. ( )
  Johanna11 | Feb 14, 2014 |
The Doll is a collection of du Maurier's early short stories. The introduction (by someone I'm not otherwise aware of) seems to suggest that the main interest here is in the beginnings of themes that later haunted her work, and the glimpses of the things that haunted her personally. I'm not that interested in that, though, but I still found the stories well-crafted and interesting. Daphne du Maurier certainly had a way with her narration; 'The Limpet' made me smile in recognition...

Not as fine as her later work, but worth a look if you're interested in du Maurier and the kind of stories she wrote. ( )
  shanaqui | Apr 9, 2013 |

Maurier, Daphne duprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Samson, PollyIntroductionmain authorall editionsconfirmed
You reach the end of 'The Doll'. (Introduction)

In 'The Doll' a waterlogged notebook is washed ashore. Its pages tell a dark story of obsession and jealousy. But the fate of its narrator is a mystery.

Many of the stories in this haunting collection have only recently been discovered. Most were written early in Daphne du Maurier's career, yet they display her mastery of atmosphere, tension and intrigue and reveal a cynicism far beyond her years.
A selection of
early, psychologically
mature short stories.
(passion4reading)

Thirteen stories, some of which have only appeared in magazine form, that Du Maurier wrote when she was just beginning her career. Taken together, the collection demonstrates the growth of her storytelling skills.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Daphne du Maurier's book The Doll was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,816,200 books! | Top bar: Always visible