Legend by Marie Lu
2,2662592,825 (3.95)1 / 75
    New World: Rising (Volume 1) by Jennifer Wilson (Anonymous user)
    Divergent by Veronica Roth (Aleana)
    The Bridge by Jane Higgins (wegc)
    wegc: Both books feature a divided society with one side having military-trained students and the other struggling for survival, and secret plots.

English (261)  Swedish (1)  All languages (262)
This book was so incredible. My heart is still pounding! So many things! There were like, 7 climaxes in the damn book. everything was really good and very well placed together. It's just so damn amzing. I loved it so much. 5 fucking stars, cause I can't give 10. ( )
  mariannelee_0902 | Jul 1, 2015 |
This review, along with others, can be seen on my shared blog, Boricuan Bookworms

I actually re-read this book. I loved it so much the first time; I HAD to read it again. It’s incredible the way that this dystopian was crafted.

Since I’m at a loss for words, I HAD to make this a gif review. If you’re not sure what a GIF review is, click here.

Anyways, this book centers around June and Day. June is a 15 year old living legend. She’s the only girl to have ever scored perfectly on The Trial (kind of like the SAT’s). Day is the most wanted criminal. He’s a living legend… but in another way. Day is rumored to have climbed an entire building in under 10 seconds. He’s been hunted for a long time, but no one can ever catch him, that is… until June decides to avenge her brother’s death, that Day is the main suspect in.
I will hunt you down. I will scour the streets of Los Angeles for you. Search every street in the Republic if I have to. I will trick you and deceive you, lie, cheat, and steal to find you, tempt you out of your hiding place, and chase you until you have nowhere else to run. I make you this promise: your life is mine.

Just with this quote, you know it’s going to be amazing.

What I thought of the storyline:

That’s what it is: PURE AWESOME.
Reading about 15 year olds as badass as June and Day makes me feel ashamed of my normal life.

The plot twists

Day

June

The ending

Book in general:

5 stars ( )
  mariannelee_0902 | Jul 1, 2015 |
Packed full of action, this book kept me flipping page after page. When the USA gets divided into a futuristic civil war, a boy from the rebellion meets a girl from the capitol and they fall in love. ( )
  iamryancorcoran | May 25, 2015 |
Legend is about a new republic of America that tries to track down this kid. This kid is not dangerous. In fact, The republic does not know exactly what he looks like. He is the most wanted criminal in the Republic. His name is Day, and just like others, he is not able to see his family. The Trial is what keeps him from doing so. He failed the trial, and so he was barred from high school and has to live a low-level life like most people, but is no ordinary kid because of the journey he endeavors. This book Is not only fast moving but action - packed. This new republic is the perfect picture. This government wants the most genetically advanced humans to be part of it. The book itself has daring parts that give you goose bumps. The beginning of the action packed parts were almost shocking. This book overall was wonderful. I give it a 4.5/5 ( )
  JamesG.B1 | May 24, 2015 |
I wanted to read this one because I have been in a string of contemporaries, and wanted something different. It has been a bit since I read a dystopia, and I have heard great things about this series from a lot of my blogging buddies, so I picked it up from the library.

I was interested in the world building and the US that is no longer the US as we know it. There is a dual perspective from Day and June, two very different characters but ones that also share more similarities than one might think.

They are both motivated by family, and they are extraordinary in their own rights. June is a female and she is in the top percentage of the test they administer, she is put into the military after her brother dies, and her first mission is to catch her brother's killer, who all signs point to Day.

Day is a fugitive, he failed the tests they give, but he has also given the government the slip. He has staged protests, destroyed or delayed military operations, and he was caught in the hospital trying to get a cure for his parents, who believe him to be dead.

The action and pacing got going pretty quickly, and that is what sucked me in besides liking the main characters because they are flourishing despite tough backgrounds. I was a little confused at the military set up, the testing, the way they were dealing with the plague, and what the different factions were that the main military is trying to fight. But I knew that that world building would kick in and just went with it.

There are some major secrets being kept of course, and as June opens her eyes more to what is around her, and listens to her conscience that a lot of it isn't right. She starts to look more into the death of her brother, more into the mystery that is Day, and she uncovers a lot of things. Day is informed about the government and the war, he has a lot of street smarts, and he realizes that he may just have met his match with June.

I enjoyed the budding romance, but also their cognizance of the issues it presents when they realize the other's true identity and what they are affiliated with and what that means to them personally and seems that they are at odds.

I will def be continuing this series, and so glad that I gave it a try even though I had some doubts, I kept seeing good reviews for Marie Lu and this series by bloggers I trust. Fate put it on that library shelf and I am glad.

Bottom Line: Enjoyed the dystopia, characterization, themes of family and friendship and their growing connection. ( )
  brandileigh2003 | May 22, 2015 |
"For My Mother"
My mother thinks I'm dead. Obviously I'm not dead, but it's safer for her to think so.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 039925675X, Hardcover)

Unabridged, 7 CDs, 9 hours

Read by Steven Kaplan & Mariel Stern

What was once the western United States is now home to the Republic, a nation perpetually at war with its neighbors. Born into an elite family in one of the Republic's wealthiest districts, fifteen-year-old June is a prodigy being groomed for success in the Republic's highest military circles. Born into the slums, fifteen-year-old Day is the country's most wanted criminal. But his motives may not be as malicious as they seem.

From very different worlds, June and Day have no reason to cross paths--until the day June's brother, Metias, is murdered and Day becomes the prime suspect. Caught in the ultimate game of cat and mouse, Day is in a race for his family's survival, while June seeks to avenge Metias's death. But in a shocking turn of events, the two uncover the truth of what has really brought them together, and the sinister lengths their country will go to keep its secrets.

Full of nonstop action, suspense, and romance, this novel is sure to move readers as much as it thrills.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:26 -0400)

In a dark future, when North America has split into two warring nations, fifteen-year-olds Day, a famous criminal, and prodigy June, the brilliant soldier hired to capture him, discover that they have a common enemy.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Legend by Marie Lu was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,961,198 books! | Top bar: Always visible