Legend by Marie Lu
1,8692183,696 (3.94)1 / 65
    Divergent by Veronica Roth (Aleana)
    The Bridge by Jane Higgins (wegc)
    wegc: Both books feature a divided society with one side having military-trained students and the other struggling for survival, and secret plots.

English (220)  Swedish (1)  All languages (221)
Similar to hunger games. also has a mini love story of two totally different people. I look forward to the next book Prodigy ( )
  selinalynn69 | Aug 19, 2014 |
Legendary, Legend is not.

Cue indifference:

This review will be pretty un-legendary, too. Because flu.

Judging by reviews, a lot of people seemed to have been blown away by Legend. Personally, I found it to be quite forgettable. It wasn’t horrible, so it was easy enough to pick up, but it was also just as easy to put down. It was pretty typical fare, as dystopians go.

Here's a short and lazy bulleted list, because flu. Yes, it's definitely time for the mediocre effort of a bulleted list:

- Implausible and unexplained world-building. You say your society is whaaa? And it became that way how? And the world-wide ramifications are whaaa? Don't ask these questions while reading this book and you'll greatly improve your reading experience.

- MC's with near super "powers".

Oh, you and your bum knee are just going to jump out of a two-story window and Walk It Out?

Okay.

Oh, the other MC is going to scale a building Spiderman-style?

Okay.

- Near insta-love. Near. It wasn’t exactly love at first sight, but the romance definitely progressed rather quickly. I was neither convinced nor moved.

- Super-predictable. The pacing is decent for the most part, but that’s moot, because you will always know what happens next.

- So forgettable, that I’m running out of points to make.

I will say that there were a couple of heart-stopping moments that helped this book to not suck too much.

Bottom line: Marie Lu's Legend is at best mediocre, much like this lackluster review, but decent enough that I’ll try the sequel [b:Prodigy|13414446|Prodigy (Legend, #2)|Marie Lu|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1336254717s/13414446.jpg|18712554].

For better more reviews, visit my blog:

JennyJen | Aug 14, 2014 |
  aweinel | Jul 14, 2014 |
Another great read for the dystopic fantasy genre. This is a novel that would be great for 5th graders on up, the struggle that Day has within himself is enlightening, but Lu takes it one step further and compounds that with his relationship with June. Is it like Hunger Games? Yes, but it works. ( )
  beckylynn | Jul 13, 2014 |
This book made for great lightweight entertainment. Fifteen year-old Daniel "Day" Wing, who tells one half of the story, is an outcast and an outlaw in a future dystopian United States where the West has become a separate Republic at war with the rest of the nation. The other narrator is his nemesis, June Iparis, also 15 years old, a brilliant prodigy, and the youngest girl ever promoted to an important army rank following the murder of her older brother, who had been her sole caretaker since their parents died in an accident. June is informed her brother's murderer is Day, and she vows to track him down and take her revenge. The story was fairly predictable, within a genre that has been overdone, i.e. the YA dystopian novel, so that while the particulars were interesting enough, overall it felt like I'd been on a very similar path before. I should probably rate the book a little higher for sheer diversion value, but several details just didn't ring true to me and I felt I was being manipulated by a publisher who evidently wanted to hook in the reader to continue on yet another series. It was fun while it lasted, but this one while remain a one-book stand for me. ( )
  Smiler69 | Jul 4, 2014 |
"For My Mother"
My mother thinks I'm dead.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 039925675X, Hardcover)

Unabridged, 7 CDs, 9 hours

Read by Steven Kaplan & Mariel Stern

What was once the western United States is now home to the Republic, a nation perpetually at war with its neighbors. Born into an elite family in one of the Republic's wealthiest districts, fifteen-year-old June is a prodigy being groomed for success in the Republic's highest military circles. Born into the slums, fifteen-year-old Day is the country's most wanted criminal. But his motives may not be as malicious as they seem.

From very different worlds, June and Day have no reason to cross paths--until the day June's brother, Metias, is murdered and Day becomes the prime suspect. Caught in the ultimate game of cat and mouse, Day is in a race for his family's survival, while June seeks to avenge Metias's death. But in a shocking turn of events, the two uncover the truth of what has really brought them together, and the sinister lengths their country will go to keep its secrets.

Full of nonstop action, suspense, and romance, this novel is sure to move readers as much as it thrills.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:36:25 -0400)

In a dark future, when North America has split into two warring nations, fifteen-year-olds Day, a famous criminal, and prodigy June, the brilliant soldier hired to capture him, discover that they have a common enemy.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Legend by Marie Lu was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,293,374 books! | Top bar: Always visible