Legend by Marie Lu
2,0232363,310 (3.94)1 / 71
    New World: Rising (Volume 1) by Jennifer Wilson (Anonymous user)
    Divergent by Veronica Roth (Aleana)
    The Bridge by Jane Higgins (wegc)
    wegc: Both books feature a divided society with one side having military-trained students and the other struggling for survival, and secret plots.

English (238)  Swedish (1)  All languages (239)
Today im covering Legend by Marie Lu. I just started this book last week and finished it

Day is 15 and a criminal. June is 15 and a prodigy being trained for a high rank military career. Day has a sick little brother. June has a dead older brother. Two people from two different worlds are thrown together in this dystopian young adult novel, one fighting for life and the other fighting to take life away, so what happens when they figure out who the other is?

This book makes you stop and think about the differences in people when they are born and/or raised in different settings. The areas the main characters remind me of the war between the north and the south. You see how things work in each place and how the government takes over the poor sector, by quarantine, forces them to live a very hard life. At the same time you see how they expect high ranking families to live, act and hold themselves.

* Pros: Great descriptions, seamlessly added back stories for the characters.
* Cons: Split stories, like one chapter is one characters and the next is the others... gets a little confusing lol.
  mccumber_1990 | Dec 20, 2014 |
I expected to like this one more than I did. But I found it a bit predictable. It was an OK read, but I'm not sure I will take the time to read the other two books in the trilogy. ( )
  AngelaCinVA | Dec 9, 2014 |
Oh .. crazy little series, what a surprise you turned out to be.

I saw such high rating for this book, and I knew I probably wouldn't like it - my tastes are completely opposite of other people, but I love this book and the whole series! The author is so talented with her writing, it's professionally written unlike the work I see these days. I find Dsytopia novels fascinating.

The romance between Day and June was amazing, I wish they were a little older though. They seem too young to be that fearless and strong. I remember, I was a complete sissy at the age of fifteen. Anyway, I love the whole forbidden romance - the golden girl of the country with the most wanted criminal. This novel/series is amazing. It was mysterious and adventurous, a page turner for sure.

The two P.O.V's were great too, I could read the thoughts of both. I loved Day, he isn't like the typical bad boy in novels these days, he's actually smart and caring. Day and June are very similar with their personalities. The ending of this series made me want to scream and die .. but afterwards, I realized there couldn't be a better ending for this series. It made perfect sense afterwards, you would understand too if you read it!

This book and the whole series is a total classic for me, perfection, a total 5 out of 5 for me ( )
  benishkhanx | Nov 4, 2014 |
First installment about the lives of 'Day' and June, one a legend and the other a prodigy, in futuristic America that has been divided into two states, The Republic and The Colonies. Lu has written the book with each chapter swapping from the view point of our two heroes, not sure if I like this back and forth storytelling. I loved the story line and felt equally engaged with both 'Day's' and June's stories. Very similar to the book 'Divergent' - two young people from different backgrounds coming together to save the world they live in. ( )
  RettaRyan | Nov 4, 2014 |
What would you do if your whole family was dying of disease and you couldn't effort to help? Would you turn to a life of crime or get a job to earn to the money? This is the challenge that Day is face with in the book, Legend. This science fiction book written by Marie Lu is a good book about what Day does when put in this situation.

Legend is all about Day and a girl named June. Day is the most wanted criminal of the Republic. June is the only person to score a perfect and is in the highest circle of the military. Day and june crossed paths when Day killed June’s brother, Marcus. June is then assigned to find Day and take him off the streets. One problem is that June and the republic have if that they don’t know what Day looks like. Day is wondering the streets , gambling and trying to earn money however possible. Day is trying to provide for his family and help them through the plague. June and Day are caught in a big game of manhunt and find that they have a lot in common.

The book was a very good and exciting read. There is a lot of action and conflict that take place in the book. I really liked to book because there wasn’t a dull moment in the story. Marie Lu does a great job with the writing of the book. Everything is so vividly described that you can see the story taking place. The book and really good and I would recommend it to anyone looking for a good story. ( )
  Riwa14 | Oct 23, 2014 |
"For My Mother"
My mother thinks I'm dead. Obviously I'm not dead, but it's safer for her to think so.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 039925675X, Hardcover)

Unabridged, 7 CDs, 9 hours

Read by Steven Kaplan & Mariel Stern

What was once the western United States is now home to the Republic, a nation perpetually at war with its neighbors. Born into an elite family in one of the Republic's wealthiest districts, fifteen-year-old June is a prodigy being groomed for success in the Republic's highest military circles. Born into the slums, fifteen-year-old Day is the country's most wanted criminal. But his motives may not be as malicious as they seem.

From very different worlds, June and Day have no reason to cross paths--until the day June's brother, Metias, is murdered and Day becomes the prime suspect. Caught in the ultimate game of cat and mouse, Day is in a race for his family's survival, while June seeks to avenge Metias's death. But in a shocking turn of events, the two uncover the truth of what has really brought them together, and the sinister lengths their country will go to keep its secrets.

Full of nonstop action, suspense, and romance, this novel is sure to move readers as much as it thrills.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:36:25 -0400)

In a dark future, when North America has split into two warring nations, fifteen-year-olds Day, a famous criminal, and prodigy June, the brilliant soldier hired to capture him, discover that they have a common enemy.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Legend by Marie Lu was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,478,048 books! | Top bar: Always visible