Check out the Pride Celebration Treasure Hunt!

In the Skin of a Lion by Michael Ondaatje

In the Skin of a Lion (1987)

by Michael Ondaatje

I gave it 4 stars and then thought I should give it 3, and, at times while reading it, I wanted to give it 1...I loved it, liked it and just tolerated it...It is an experience I am glad I gave myself. Not a book I would "recommend" but definitely a book I would encourage others to experience... ( )
  jslantz1948 | Sep 15, 2018 |
  jslantz1948 | Sep 15, 2018 |
I didn't really engage with this book. The historical research seems solid enough, and I enjoyed the Caravaggio escape story, but I never cared very much about the main character. And the technical details about the bridge-building, the tannery and the waterworks were just not all that interesting to me. It feels like a very masculine book - not something I'd normally think about, but that's just the impression I'm left with. ( )
  AJBraithwaite | Aug 14, 2017 |
My English teacher loved Ondaatje and loved the students who shared that love. Three or four years ago I attended a talk, [a:Joseph Boyden|88550|Joseph Boyden|https://d.gr-assets.com/authors/1253557607p2/88550.jpg] interviewing Ondaatje, neither of whom I'd read. I just liked hearing two writers talking to each other about craft and habits and everything like that. Ondaatje read a bit from his latest book, [b:The Cat's Table|11076177|The Cat's Table|Michael Ondaatje|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1327934764s/11076177.jpg|15238056], and that seems exemplary of my acquaintance with Ondaatje. I've heard him quoted. I've read a stray poem. I can talk about him but always feel like a bit of a sham because I hadn't read one of his novels till now.

This book wasn't a perfect novel for me (though it's undoubtedly a good book). I didn't like the present tense. I thought this was because I don't like present tense generally, but now I think it's because it gave such a transience to much of the novel that, apart from a few very sharp and memorable images, the pages bleed into one another and the text begins to fade because the present moment never lasts. I think that might be intentional. Even though there's a firmly established time period and this is all 'the past,' which we would like to perceive as concrete, the lives recorded fall out of history. They're impossible to fully grasp. A photo from the archive, the blueprint of a building, or a posthumous child might be all the remains of a person, all we have from which to reconstruct some narrative. But it's elusive and unpolished and incomplete.

What I'm saying is that obviously I thought a lot about this novel as I went through it and after and if that's what you want in a book then go for it and you might have an even richer experience. Reading Ondaatje finally justifies the respect I always held for him, but I'm not yet an adorer. ( )
  likecymbeline | Apr 1, 2017 |
Read it for the writing, even if you don't care for the story. The writing reminds me of the way one can blur their vision in order to take in the essence of a too bright day - when you take away your focus you can hear the birds and smell the pavement or fields or sea, you can feel the slight breeze or the oppressive air, you can see the palette of colors without the detail of the picture.

As another reviewer said, "Many of the passages are understandable on a level beyond the words. The ideas almost seep into a stream of consciousness which are not directly linked with the actual sentence." This is exactly it. It is magical. It is messy. It is utterly transfixing. ( )
  libbromus | Oct 20, 2015 |
"In the Skin of a Lion stands alone, lovely and strange ... the book's special strength and delight is the exuberant but wonderfully controlled poetry of Ondaatje's workers."
added by GYKM | editLost Angeles Times

"It's an exotic blend of fact and fiction, bringing together real people and events and a cast of colourful fictional characters.... There is romance, lust and mystery."
added by GYKM | editProvince (Vancouver)

"Nearly every page reveals another example of Ondaatje's precise, beautiful and startlingly original language."
added by GYKM | editAtlanta Journal-Constitution

"In the Skin of a Lion has the scope and wealth of incident of a popular novel and the destiny and texture of a prose poem."
added by GYKM | editWashington Post Book World

"Intoxicatingly immediate."
added by GYKM | editSunday Times

Michael Ondaatjeprimary authorall editionscalculated
BascoveCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The joyful will stoop with sorrow, and when
you have gone to the earth I will let my hair
grow long for your sake, I will wander through
the wilderness in the skin of a lion.

THE EPIC OF GILGAMESH

Never again will a single story be told as though it were only one.

JOHN BERGER
This book is in memory of Michel Lambeth,
Sharon Stevenson, and Bill and Michael Acres

And for Linda, and Sarah Sheard and David Young
IF HE IS AWAKE early enough the boy sees the men walk
past the farmhouse down First Lake Road.

Bristling with intelligence and shimmering with romance, this novel tests the boundary between history and myth. Patrick Lewis arrives in Toronto in the 1920s and earns his living searching for a vanished millionaire and tunneling beneath Lake Ontario. In the course of his adventures, Patrick's life intersects with those of characters who reappear in Ondaatje's Booker Prize-winning The English Patient. 256 pp.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:38 -0400)

Bristling with intelligence and shimmering with romance, this novel tests the boundary between history and myth. Patrick Lewis arrives in Toronto in the 1920s and earns his living searching for a vanished millionaire and tunneling beneath Lake Ontario. In the course of his adventures, Patrick's life intersects with those of characters who reappear in Ondaatje's Booker Prize-winning The English Patient.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,494,317 books! | Top bar: Always visible