A Mind to Murder by P. D. James

A Mind to Murder (1963)

by P. D. James

Series: Adam Dalgliesh (2)

English (33)  Danish (1)  All (34)
I love P.D. James. While Agatha Christie will always be my favorite mystery writer, P.D. James is definitely up there. She is an expert at using vivid settings and complex characters to create her mystery stories.

In A Mind to Murder, James chooses a psychiatric clinic to set her murder and mayhem in. There are plenty of suspects, plenty of motives, and lots of red herrings. The ending is especially amazing--I don't want to give anything away, but trust me, James is masterful with the plot twists. ( )
  seasonsoflove | Aug 28, 2016 |
good murder at Physch Clinic

On the surface, the Steen Psychiatric Clinic is one of the most reputable institutions in London. But when the administrative head is found dead with a chisel in her heart, that distinguished facade begins to crumble as the truth emerges. Superintendent Adam Dalgliesh of Scotland Yard is called in to investigate and quickly finds himself caught in a whirlwind of psychiatry, drugs, and deceit. Now he must analyze the deep-seated anxieties and thwarted desires of patients and staff alike to determine which of their unresolved conflicts has resulted in murder and stop a cunning killer before the next blow.
  christinejoseph | Feb 24, 2016 |
An early PD James mystery set in a psychiatric clinic. Seemed very dated from the perspective of today. ( )
  Cricket856 | Jan 25, 2016 |
From the Book Jacket - When the administrative head of the Steen Psychiatric Clinic is found dead with a chisel in her heart, Superintendent Adam Dalgliesh of Scotland Yard is called in to investigate. Dalgliesh must analyze the deep-seated anxieties and thwarted desires of patients and staff alike to determine which of their unresolved conflicts resulted in murder.

My Reactions
This is an engaging, interesting and complex murder mystery. I love Dalgliesh and his quiet, deliberate manner. I also really appreciate how James gives us background detail on the characters, revealing a little at a time, much as we’d learn about someone in real life.

James crafts a plot that seems straightforward, but which includes numerous red herrings to keep the reader off balance. She certainly had me guessing, and even when Dalgliesh was closing in on the suspect, the author had another surprise in store. Well done!
  BookConcierge | Jan 14, 2016 |
A private clinic, psychiatrists and their patients: potent territory for a crime novelist. The clinic administrator is found murdered in the basement archive, a chisel through her heart. The potential murderer must be within the clinic’s staff and as they set about analysing each other’s alibis and motives, Commander Adam Dalgliesh arrives from a literary party.
A classic PD James, although for me a trifle slow-moving at times as the layout and routines of the clinic are necessarily explored. The culprit? An early suspect I had barely considered. Dalgliesh’s task is complicated by office politics, blackmail, love affairs and ambition.
This is the second of the Adam Dalgiesh books.
Read more of my book reviews at http://www.sandradanby.com/book-reviews-a-z/ ( )
  Sandradan1 | Oct 31, 2015 |

P. D. Jamesprimary authorall editionscalculated
Berdagué, RoserTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lax, LidiaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Edward Gordon James
Dr. Paul Steiner, consulting psychiatrist at the Steen Clinic, sat in the front ground floor consulting-room and listened to his patient's highly rationalized explanation of the failure of his third marriage.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0743219589, Paperback)

With "discernment, depth, and craftsmanship," wrote the Chicago Daily News, A Mind to Murder "is a superbly satisfying mystery."

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:16 -0400)

Adam Dalgluish was called to the elegant Steen Psychiatric Clinic to investigate why the body of Enid Bolan was found with a chisel through her heart.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,038,814 books! | Top bar: Always visible