A Walk Across America by Peter Jenkins

Cooper! ( )
  wolfeyluvr | Jun 22, 2016 |
1973 Educ. Ct Boy College grad — to Miss. — okay

christinejoseph | Mar 23, 2016 |
I can't recall when my budding obsession with taking long walks first took hold, but I'm sure Peter Jenkins' A Walk Across America had something to do with it.

In addition to normal recreational hikes, I used to plan odd outings like 20+ mile hikes around my town, and once, while living away for a while, I took a bus 13 miles to the end of its route just to walk back. My apartment while I was at college was two miles away and I would walk every day. For my first job I lived 10 miles away and I walked the first 4 miles and took the bus for the rest. My sister and I once planned to walk the entire Appalachian Trail, and while my own life got busy as life tends to, she actually went and did it. Yes, she hiked the 2,000+ mile trail and it took her 5 months.

Anyway, this is Peter Jenkins debut account of his many adventures across America and throughout the world. I haven't read his other books with the exception of The Walk West, which completes his literal walk across America. Forget that one though. This one is much better. It's a journey of a man, accompanied by his forever companion Cooper, seeking something more in this life, to expand his horizons and open his eyes. The people he meets and the lessons learned have undeniably defined him. ( )
  Daniel.Estes | Oct 2, 2015 |
The name of this book is a misnomer. It covers Jensen's walk from Connecticut to New Orleans. The two walks he made thereafter (from New Orleans to Colorado and Colorado to Washington) are not part of the book. Also, this book is somewhat dated in that it occurred in 1973-75, but that was part of the charm for me. I well remember that time, since I'm nearly the same age as Jensen, and remember how America was at that time, and the feelings towards those who were "walking a different path" in life. I picked the book up to find out how his walk differed from John Muir's walk of nearly the same area, but their focus was so totally different that it's hard to make any comparison. It felt it was an interesting read, but I believe most people would find it dated. ( )
  whymaggiemay | Oct 14, 2012 |
Peter Jenkins sets out to walk across America as a freshly graduated college student. This book takes him to New Orleans, where he meets his future wife. You will want to read his other books ... I did! ( )
  Georgia.Bets | Jun 23, 2012 |
"Stop right there, son. You ain't goin' nowhere in this blizzard. Now sit down!"

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 006095955X, Paperback)

Twenty-five years ago, a disillusioned young man set out on a walk across America. This is the book he wrote about that journey -- a classic account of the reawakening of his faith in himself and his country.

"I started out searching for myself and my country," Peter Jenkins writes, "and found both." In this timeless classic, Jenkins describes how disillusionment with society in the 1970s drove him out onto the road on a walk across America. His experiences remain as sharp and telling today as they were twenty-five years ago -- from the timeless secrets of life, learned from a mountain-dwelling hermit, to the stir he caused by staying with a black family in North Carolina, to his hours of intense labor in Southern mills. Many, many miles later, he learned lessons about his country and himself that resonate to this day -- and will inspire a new generation to get out, hit the road and explore.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:14 -0400)

A young New Englander celebrates a rarely seen and almost forgotten America as he recalls the people he met and the situations he experienced during a journey in search of his country and himself.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,168,841 books! | Top bar: Always visible