The Island of Lost Maps: A True Story of…

The Island of Lost Maps: A True Story of Cartographic Crime (2000)

by Miles Harvey (Author)

English (40)  Dutch (1)  German (1)  All languages (42)
The story might have been interesting if told by someone else. However, Miles Harvey managed to make what could have been an interesting study in thievery and antique maps really pretty dull with the occasional foray into the realm of interesting. It wasn't bad, just boring as hell. ( )
  AdorablyBookish | Aug 29, 2015 |
This book is about maps, antique map collectors, and most specifically an antique map thief.

I was really interested in the book towards the beginning, but since I read that part months ago, I can't remember now what was so interesting.

I didn't realize cartographic crime was such a widespread phenomenon. I guess it made sense in the age of exploration, when having a good map really made a big difference in getting your ships where they needed to go and discovering new territories, and claiming new lands. Now is just odd that they are so valuable.

How strange that there are all these old maps worth thousands of dollars in the stacks of old libraries, and someone can just go cut a map out and sell it and make tens of thousands of dollars by doing so. ( )
  klburnside | Aug 11, 2015 |
Reading this book currently. So far I am finding it very interesting but scattered. I love maps and cartographic history, when I picked this book up I was thinking it would be more along those lines, but so far I am fairly entertained. Will update when I am done reading. UPDATE: Lost interest quickly. Was not really about maps at all. Actually, it's hard to know what this book is about. It is kind of about book dealers, which I am, (not on these guys' level!) so that is mildly interesting, but overall the author's inability to pick a thread and stick with it was too distracting to really glean any useful info or even a storyline to follow. Wasn't terrible, but wasn't good enough to finish. Read half of it and decided to spend my time more wisely and pick another book. Meh. ( )
  jspringbrinkley | Mar 15, 2014 |
An entertaining and cautionary book about a very vicious criminal. As a devotee of old maps this kind of crime should have very serious consequences. I have to deal with the aftermath of Gilbert Bland's (the subject of this this book) visit to one of my favourite libraries. Never cut the maps out of old atlases or books of travel!!!. ( )
  DinadansFriend | Feb 16, 2014 |
Ridiculously tedious. Basic rule of journalism: reporters should not insert themselves into stories. In case you needed it, here's proof of that. ( )
  Eliz12 | Dec 29, 2013 |

Harvey, MilesAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Chueca, FabiánTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Made, Aafke van derTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
It is not down in any map; true places never are.
To Bob, Tinker, and Matthew/ The Maps / To Rengia and Azize/ The Destinations
Explorers pin maps to their walls; journalists tape stories to theirs.
Of what use is eternity without the past?

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0767908260, Paperback)

In 1995, a watchful patron alerted a librarian at Johns Hopkins University that another patron, a middle-aged and well-dressed man, was behaving suspiciously. The librarian called the police, who discovered that the man, a Floridian named Gilbert Bland, had cut four maps from a set of rare books. On investigation, the police were able to attribute dozens of similar thefts to Bland, thefts that had taken place at a score of the country's best-regarded--and, presumably, best-protected--scholarly institutions.

Like countless other readers, Miles Harvey, a writer for Outside magazine, encountered the news of Bland's arrest as a brief item in the back pages of the morning newspaper. The story stayed with Harvey, who wondered why otherwise law-abiding people behave so badly around antiquities. In The Island of Lost Maps, a wonderfully rich excursion into the demimonde of what might be called cartographomania, Harvey follows Bland's tracks from library to library, reconstructing the crimes of the man he deems the Al Capone of map theft, following the contours of Bland's complex, sinister character. Along the way, Harvey examines the history of cartography generally, and the ravenous market for old maps--once the quiet province of a few knowing collectors, now invaded by speculators. These maps are just another corner of the overpriced status-symbol commodity market--and one that richly rewarded Bland's nefarious work.

Harvey's winding narrative, full of learned detours, adds up to a superbly rendered tale of true crime (and, many readers might object, of insufficient punishment), one that will appeal to book lovers and mystery buffs in equal measure. --Gregory McNamee

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:28 -0400)

"The Island of Lost Maps" tells the story of a curious crime spree: the theft of scores of valuable, centuries-old maps from some of the most prominent research libraries in the United States and Canada. When all was said and done, Gilbert Joseph Bland, Jr., had become the Al Capone of cartography, the most prolific American map thief in history.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,784,927 books! | Top bar: Always visible