The End of the World Running Club by Adrian…

The End of the World Running Club

by Adrian J. Walker

2021982,899 (3.71)9

English (15)  German (3)  All languages (18)
Interesting and honest. One tissue snot bomb. ( )
  Firehair_Wildling | Sep 12, 2018 |
A good but perhaps sterotypical dystopian novel where after a series of cosmic calamities, a man is separated from his family and has to literally run (500+ miles) to catch the boat that will take him to freedom and his family. A good read, definitely a library borrow, maybe a purchase on sale. 7/10

"Clear your mind and things start working out for you," he said. "You can't run five hundred miles just by clearing your mind," I spat. Harvey shrugged. "You can't do it without it either." ( )
  mahsdad | Jun 23, 2018 |
Jot Davies handles the Scottish and British accents within this story excellently. After numerous meteor strikes create an apocalyptic landscape, Edgar Hill -- former couch-potato, computer programmer -- must prioritize his life. On a 500 mile cross-country run to Cornwell, Edgar and his companions must all face their own priorities as well as chaos, fear, and despair. ( )
  ktoonen | Dec 26, 2017 |
Several thousand asteroids hit the UK and Britain is decimated. In the fallout, Ed Hill is separation from him wife and two children and he knows that his only chance of survival is to span the 550 miles that divides them. But with cities in ruins and no transport, he will have to run the distance. Together with a small group of survivors, Ed sets out on his long journey, with no idea of whether or not they will be successful…

On paper this book ticked all the right boxes for me – it’s post apocalyptic, it’s a dystopian novel (one of my favourite genres) and it’s set in the UK. And in many ways, it is a good read. Certainly it’s pacey and exciting – the story has twists and turns and it ket me interested,,,but for all that, I never really felt able to lose myself in it. I think the main reason is that I was not able to connect to the characters. It’s narrated by Ed himself, a lazy husband, giving the minimum amount of effort to his marriage and the raising of his children. He loves his family but he can’t be bothered to put himself out in any way for them. Only when he is faced with losing them forever does he realise how much they really mean to him. The other characters on his journey are basically a bunch of stereotypes, who we never really get to know beyond surface level and for that reason I didn’t really care what happened to any of them.

I did enjoy reading about the people they met on their journey – some good, some bad, some helpful, others with evil intentions, and the resourcefulness that Ed and his companions had to summon up in order to get out of certain situations. Overall though, while I can’t say that I actively dislike the book, I can’t say that it ever really struck much of a chord with me. ( )
  Ruth72 | Dec 24, 2017 |
Another dystopian book this week for me!! Yay!!

This one takes place in England which was very different in that most that I've read were set in the United States. This end of the world scenario involves an asteroid strike that severely debilitates a lot of the planet with hundreds of them striking England.

Edgar Hill, hungover from the night before wakes up one morning to find that the Earth was informed that asteroids are hurling to the planet and there will be devastation of the extreme kind four hours before. He starts out behind the eight ball and basically strikes out, a lot!

At first I thought Edgar Hill a total loser, by the end of the book, I was cheering him on ecstatically.

I sped through this enjoyable read cheering Edgar on to the finish line.

Thanks to Sourcebooks Landmark and Net Galley for providing me with a free e-galley in exchange for an honest, unbiased review. ( )
  debkrenzer | Oct 29, 2017 |

Adrian J. Walkerprimary authorall editionscalculated
Püschel, NadineTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schröder, GesineTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Debbie, Bailey, and Joseph
Beliefs are strange.

Follows the experiences of a man stranded on the wrong side of the country who pushes his limits to traverse more than five hundred miles of devastated wasteland to return to his family.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,982,668 books! | Top bar: Always visible