4.50 from Paddington by Agatha Christie

4.50 from Paddington (1957)

by Agatha Christie

Series: Miss Marple (7), Miss Marple: Chronological (18)

Recently added byNemi_87, Lidbud, sh7980, amysan, naybob, Boffe, purplequeennl, NymStorm
Legacy LibrariesCarl Sandburg

English (64)  Danish (2)  Spanish (1)  Dutch (1)  Italian (1)  All (69)
It's not possible to not love Agatha Christie and a Ms. Marple mystery. Classic Chrisite, classic Ms. Marple. Loved it! ( )
  sh7980 | Jul 18, 2018 |
Another excellent Miss Marple story beautifully narrated :) ( )
  hopeevey | May 20, 2018 |
Ah Christie, you cunning minx you. I knew my earlier guess had low odds for being right, but I never saw that coming. I probably should have given the book a higher rating, but it started off slow and frankly, I don't feel confident yet that Christie didn't pull a rabbit out of her hat here. I need to let the story sit with me for awhile, and I may adjust the rating 1/2 star later.

I say it started off slow, but that's not really the case; it's much more about what happens when an original idea becomes over-used. Witnessing a murder taking place in a passing train was likely original - or at least fresh - when Christie used it, but 60 years later it feels trite. I'm also impatient with the idea of dismissing people because of their age.

Once Lucy Eyelesbarrow arrived on the scene though, things started to pick up. From that point I was pretty well glued to the pages, getting lost in the setting and the characters. And apparently allowing myself to become completely seduced by Christie's red herring. For the record, I think my ending would have been much more twisted. ( )
  murderbydeath | Apr 4, 2018 |
4:50 From Paddington- Christie -
Audio performance by Emilia Fox
3 stars

This Miss Marple mystery has been on my TBR for a very long time, probably because I bought a bargain kindle version of it at about the time that I bought my first kindle. It has been adapted several times in film and on television. It was an easy read, light entertainment on a blustery day. I started to remember the story from one or more of the adaptations, so the identity of the killer was no surprise. But, Christie still managed to surprise me with a few points of how the killer was discovered.

I switched to the audio version about halfway through the book. Emilia Fox voiced all of the characters just as I had imagined them. ( )
  msjudy | Feb 27, 2018 |
After seeing the film version of this story, I enjoyed finally reading the original story. The casting in the film version was great for Lucy, though I got a bit mixed up trying to keep the rich gentleman's sons straight in my head. They seemed different between the book and the TV show, thou I'd have to watch the show again to be sure what was so different as to throw me off. The solution in the book was a bit more complex than in the TV show, and I liked the book's resolution better. ( )
  JBarringer | Dec 30, 2017 |

Laine, Anna-LiisaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Orengo, NicoForewordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Simonsen, HelgeTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Is contained in

Five Complete Miss Marple Novels: The Body in the Library, A Caribbean Mystery, The Mirror Crack'd, Nemesis, What Mrs. McGillicuddy Saw! by Agatha Christie

Miss Marple Omnibus (Volume 1) by Agatha Christie

Agatha Christie Crime Collection: 4:50 from Paddington, Lord Edgware Dies, Murder In Mesopotamia by Agatha Christie

Murder on Board: Three Complete Mystery Novels: The Mystery of the Blue Train / What Mrs. McGillicuddy Saw / Death in the Air by Agatha Christie

Murder on the Orient Express [and] 4:50 From Paddington by Agatha Christie

4.50 From Paddington / After the Funeral / A Pocket Full of Rye by Agatha Christie

Has the adaptation

Is abridged in

Mrs. McGillicuddy panted along the platform in the wake of the porter carrying her suitcase.
Original title for the US publication was What Mrs McGillicuddy Saw!, and a 1963 paperback edition used the title Murder, She Said.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0451200519, Mass Market Paperback)

Sensible Elspeth McGillicuddy is not given to hallucinations. Or is she? After she boards the Paddington Station train and becomes a witness to an apparent murder, no one believes her but her friend-the indomitable sleuth Miss Jane Marple.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:15 -0400)

For an instant the two trains ran together, side by side. In that frozen moment, Elspeth witnessed a murder. Helplessly, she stared out of her carriage window as a man remorselessly tightened his grip around a woman's throat. The body crumpled. Then the other train drew away. But who, apart from Miss Marple, would take her story seriously? After all, there were no suspects, no other witnesses, and no corpse.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,239,451 books! | Top bar: Always visible