dismiss

Carry On

by Rainbow Rowell

Series: Simon Snow (1), Fangirl (2)

Simon Snow is the worst Chosen One who's ever been chosen. That's what his roommate, Baz, says. And Baz might be evil and a vampire and a complete git, but he's probably right. Half the time, Simon can't even make his wand work, and the other half, he starts something on fire. His mentor's avoiding him, his girlfriend broke up with him, and there's a magic-eating monster running around, wearing Simon's face. Baz would be having a field day with all this, if he were here. It's their last year at the Watford School of Magicks, and Simon's infuriating nemesis didn't even bother to show up.… (more)
    The Gentleman's Guide to Vice and Virtue by Mackenzi Lee (tralliott)
    Red, White & Royal Blue by Casey McQuiston (Anonymous user)
    In Other Lands by Sarah Rees Brennan (nessreader)
    nessreader: Fanfic tropes, meta, swashbuckling ya fantasy, woobie heroes and a bucket of angst, not heteronormative.
    Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda by Becky Albertalli (Anphan)

English (160)  Spanish (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (162)
I feel 15 again, like I'm going to give in if he gets too close - kiss him or bite him. The only reason I got through that year was that I couldn't decide which of those options would finally put me out of my misery.

Probably Snow himself would put me out of my misery if I tried either one.

So...everyone was right. It was frankly criminal (and confusing) that I hadn't read this yet. I'm so glad I finally did. It was hilarious, and sweet, and fun, and so incredibly fulfilling.

The first time around I was exhausted by the constant references to Harry Potter, but this time it was just came off as self-aware and funny. It was a perfect idea to stick this story in 'Harry's last year' - we already know the context. We know all the drama. We know how they all grew up together. It's prepackaged with all the plot build-up I don't have to sit through...and all the emotional and character payoff. I loved it. I was completely wrapped up in all their friendships and relationships - and this truly is the model for an enemies-to-lovers that isn't totally hack and weird.

Some parts didn't seem to quite fit to me Baz behind a vampire and Simon's wings/tail but altogether I just had a fantastic time tearing through this in like 3 sittings. It's pretty rare for me to 'ship' book characters but MAN that first kiss almost had me bowled over with happiness.

And just in time for Wayward Son!! Maybe it's not so criminal that I took so long after all! ( )
  Chyvalrys | Aug 5, 2020 |
Eh.

I know CARRY ON is a generally beloved novel, but I couldn't get past the way everything we know about the characters and about the world itself is just telling, telling, telling. The magic system is cheesy at best and infuriating at worst. Simon Snow is flat as a pancake and I could not, could not, COULD NOT get into this.

I listened to this WHOLE BOOK trying to understand what everyone loves so much about it, and I've come to the conclusion people really enjoy Baz/Simon. Which, I get. What a fun relationship. They don't make any sense as a couple whatsoever, but if you can put all that aside and you can put aside how ridiculous this book is as a whole, then YES. The romance is fun. And Baz is okay, though I wish, AGAIN, there were more depth and less telling.

Thing is, if I want to read Harry/Draco fanfic, I will go find it? I've read some decent ones in the past and enjoy them very much... and one of the reasons for that is that we get to slowly know Harry and Draco and they are more nuanced and complicated as characters... and they are that way ORGANICALLY, not just because it was said in a line of dialogue.

The writing really frustrated me here. *sigh* Y'all can enjoy your boys, but I'm all set. Really. Enjoy, and I'm out. ( )
  Morteana | Jul 29, 2020 |
"Those were my fifth-year fantasies: kisses and blood and Snow ridding the world of me."

If I'm being completely honest, I went into this book not expecting to enjoy it very much. This isn't my first Rainbow Rowell book, but it is the first of her books I've finished. I first tried Eleanor & Park (which, to be honest, I found kind of racist), then Fangirl, which I also never finished, and I didn't really get the appeal (despite Baz & Simon originating there). So, understandably, I didn't go into Carry On with very high expectations. But there's been so much praise, and I do love a mlm fantasy, so I figured I would give it a go. Turns out, I was pretty pleasantly surprised.

So, the most obvious thing to address is the similarities with Harry Potter; the chosen one, the magic school, the trio of friends battling an ominous foe. When I first started Carry On all I could see were the similarities between the books, and it really really bothered me. Thankfully, it became a story of its own, and soon it didn't feel like I was reading anything like Harry Potter. This mostly happened once Baz, Simon's vampire roommate, turned up. He is instantly likeable, and once he arrives in the story, it picks up pace from a slow impatience inducing crawl to excitement and intrigue, and to romance. And to, at times, some really funny moments.

Once the story picks up, Carry On definitely becomes a page turner. There is so much mystery to the story, and to Simon's place in it the World of Mages, to his magic, to his past. Parts of this mystery were easily deducible, some things I figured out from about 150 pages in. Though I was kept questioning if my theories were right, it just felt like less of a shock or twist than perhaps it was supposed to be when everything came to light for the characters. It was fun to watch Simon, Penelope, and Baz figure it all out, if sometimes a little aggravating when it seemed so obvious to the reader.

Carry On was a strange mix of humour and darkness, a mix of funny moments and very tense and high stakes fantasy. It somehow worked really well. The small details (like spells being cast as nursery rhymes, or moments of genuine creepiness) blend well and make it so much more enjoyable to read.

And then, there's the romance between Simon and Baz, which is why I decided to read Carry On in the first place. I was not disappointed. At first, Simon was definitely a little frustrating with his animosity for Baz, especially after reading Baz's point of view and as their relationship progressed. But as it did progress, it was so lovely to see them grow and as Simon realised his feelings, their interactions were so perfect and I ended up loving these two so much. Their romance was my favourite part of this book. It definitely did frustrate me to see the bi erasure of Simon Snow though (bisexuality exists, Rainbow Rowell).

I also really liked Penelope, she's a fantastic character, and despite her similarities with Hermione Granger she is so much her own character and I loved her interactions with Simon and Baz, and their friendship. I'm, still not too sure what to think of Agatha, I'm not really sure whether or not we're supposed to like her, and most of the time she just really really annoyed me. I feel like this is partly because of how she is written, and under different circumstances I could have liked her.

Despite the slow beginning, the similarities with Harry Potter, and the bi erasure, I did love the relationship between Simon and Baz, they made Carry On for me - I adore them so much. I am still going to be very hesitant with any of Rainbow Rowell's books but, I'm glad I found one I genuinely enjoyed, and a relationship I fell in love with. ( )
  angelgay | Jul 1, 2020 |
This was incredible omg, I found it a bit slow at the beginning and found it hard to get into but once I did it was just amazing ( )
  seraynea | Jun 29, 2020 |
SQUEALING. LOTS OF SQUEALING. AT UNGODLY HOURS OF THE NIGHT.

ANY BOOK THAT MAKES ME SQUEAL THIS MUCH DESERVES NO LESS THAN 5 STARS

“And when I felt myself slipping too far, I held on to the one thing I’m always sure of-

Blue eyes.

Bronze curls."

I have but one question… WHAT THE FUCK DO I DO WITH MY LIFE NOW THAT I’M FINISHED WITH THIS BOOK?? I meAN OBVIOUSLY I’m gonna read Wayward Son next but what about after that? Huh? I don’t even remember how I lived my life before Simon and Baz. They’re all I think about now, I literally can’t get them out of my mind. Anytime I have a minute to myself, they pop into my head. I’m losing my sanity.

Every time I picked this up I had to calm myself down because I was so excited to read it. Rainbow Rowell did such a good job with writing the romance in this. They are such a cute power couple I love them. I would have finished this in one sitting if I didn’t have to pause and just allow myself breathe every couple chapters. I MEAN- THE SCENE OF THE FIRST KISS??? Magnificent.

And I absolutely adored seeing how different Baz and Simon’s perspectives were for the same moments. Besides Baz and Simon though, (who I love with all my heart, did I mention that yet? Because I do. I love them.), I loved Penny and couldn’t stand Agatha. Listen, I tried so hard to like her, I really did but damn, I literally dreaded her POV’s. Sorry not sorry.

I realize that this review is purely emotional but I simply can’t think objectively right now, because that’s how Simon and Baz make you feel. Emotional af. Also keep in mind I'm writing this at 2 am.

I was terrified of not liking this as much as everyone else but I was scared for nothing. This was adorable. If you still haven’t read this somehow, here’s your push. Go. Read it. Devour it. ( )
  Kat.Nova | Jun 27, 2020 |

Rowell, Rainbowprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Merani, FedericaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Morton, EuanNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Laddie and Rosey -
May you fight your own battles
and forge your own wings.
I walk to the bus station by myself.
Bunce stumbles. coughing. I take her arm and lean against her, propping her up. I'd be surprised if she could cast a cliché right now.
"On love's light wings!"

It's a hard spell and an old spell, and it works only if you understand the Great Vowel Shift of the Sixteenth Century - and if you're stupidly in love.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 148,952,642 books! | Top bar: Always visible