The Magician's Nephew by C. S. Lewis
When Digory and Polly try to return the wicked witch Jadis to her own world, the magic gets mixed up and they all land in Narnia where they witness Aslan blessing the animals with human speech.

English (263)  German (3)  Spanish (2)  Dutch (2)  Danish (2)  Polish (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Italian (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (276)
Not my favorite of the series, but plays an important role in the Orgin of Narnia. ( )
  Linyarai | Feb 16, 2020 |
Solidly in the middle of the Narnia chronicles for me in terms of enjoyment. While there's some debate about whether this should really be the first Narnia book, there are a couple instances in it that make it obvious it's right where it's supposed to be when it's in the 6th position of the 7 books. (But I forgot to note the passages...so take my word for it).

Also though, if this were the introduction book, I think it would steal a lot of the wonder and magic from LW&W and likewise, I don't think it would add that wonder and magic to this book. It just wasn't positioned the same. The introduction of certain wondrous elements were too far into the book and if kids were expected to read that far before meeting Aslan or talking beasts or even getting to Narnia, then they might never have made it. Also, as the "Chronicles of Narnia" half the book isn't in Narnia, so for that to be the first foray wouldn't make sense.

Getting to the story though, plenty of action and adventure and better fleshed-out characters than in the Silver Chair. ( )
  Sean191 | Jan 1, 2020 |
Julia-4 stars
Christian - 5 stars (He didn’t hear most of it as on our way to pick him up from school. But yes read it in his own many times. )

I don’t think little boys listened in the car after I asked a couple questions.

Sparrowgirl | Dec 21, 2019 |
I'm on record (and not alone!) as having a lot of problems with the Narnia series and its blatant religious allegory, resulting in sexism, ignorance and a rather horrifically black-and-white mentality, even for a children's book! In spite of this, every one of the seven books in the series has something to offer, and "The Magician's Nephew" may just be my favourite. Telling the rather simple tale of children discovering magic rings that take them to another world, the story actually suggests many dimensions of Narnia that we never get to visit in the series, and which could hold a whole series of their own just in the number of possible worlds!

The book also gels quite well with explaining what is to come, although for new readers, I'd probably advocate reading "The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe" first (As it was published first) since many of the fun surprises therein will be ruined, or at least lessened. (Having said that, I'm sure few Westerners can be entirely unfamiliar with this series...!)

However, for seasoned readers, "The Magician's Nephew" is a wonderful opening to the series. It has a beautiful air of mystery, a terrifying sense of the unknown, and provides - in fact - more possibilities than Lewis' series ever lived up to, given it went in a very different direction. (I wonder, though, if there are fans who consider this the equivalent of George Lucas ruining the mythology of Star Wars by introducing things like "midichlorians"?) ( )
  therebelprince | Dec 14, 2019 |
This story was the first story of the narnia series and it gives a whole background on how narnia was created. It's really cool how magic rings take them to narnia but it mixes your emotions throughout the book. I would recommend it to 8-10 year olds because it's really fun to read and I rate it a 8/10 4/5. HAPPY READING!

(on behalf of firelion, aged 10) ( )
  firelion | Nov 25, 2019 |

Nielsen, CliffCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rochère, Cécile Dutheil de laTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Van Allsburg, ChrisCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To the Kilmer family
This is a story about something that happened long ago when your grandfather was a child.
A terrible thirst and hunger came over him and a longing to taste that fruit. He put it hastily into his pocket; but there were plenty of others. Could it be wrong to taste one? After all, he thought, the notice on the gate might not have been exactly an order; it might have been only a piece of advice - and who cares about advice?
Now the trouble about trying to make yourself stupider than you really are is that you very often succeed.
For what you see and hear depends a good deal on where you are standing: it also depends on what sort of person you are.
Please do NOT combine "The Magician's Nephew" with "The Chronicles of Narnia".
Unabridged - please do NOT combine with any abridged edition.

If you ever did

want to know where the White Witch

came from, read this book.

(CathWhitney)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 142,638,307 books! | Top bar: Always visible