The Magician's Nephew by C. S. Lewis

English (252)  German (3)  Dutch (2)  Spanish (2)  Danish (2)  Polish (1)  All (1)  Italian (1)  All (1)  All (265)
Chronologically the first book in the story. ( )
  ajlewis2 | Jul 11, 2018 |
Rating: I’m not going to give it a rating— you know, I liked it; I didn’t like it;/ it was a magical kingdom; it was the 50s;/ things happened; things didn’t happen.

Those are just opinions.

Reaction: If I were in the Wood Between the Worlds, I don’t think I would leave.

Oh to be a tree— how happy I would be.
  smallself | Jun 29, 2018 |
This is where it *all* started! When two kids try to return a witch to her own world, the magic gets mixed up & they all land in the magical Narnia! If you like this one, there are 7 more in the series!
  mcmlsbookbutler | Jun 7, 2018 |
The Chronicles of Narnia really define my childhood in so many ways. I remember being read to at night before bed as my parents made their way through each of these books and my imagination went running rampant. I absolutely adored each one of these stories, the children and their tumbles into Narnia, the lessons that they learned from Aslan and his people, and the greater implications it had on me as a reader and human being. I adore British literature, and especially children's British literature from the master, C.S. Lewis! ( )
  justagirlwithabook | Jun 2, 2018 |
It reads as a children's tale. The narrator makes asides to the reader, it is short, it's not overly complex, there are no major plot twists, just a continuing story. But it is fun. Digory and Polly go on magic journeys which include a Witch, a horse and a lion. There's even a cupboard. ( )
  devilish2 | May 3, 2018 |

Nielsen, CliffCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rochère, Cécile Dutheil de laTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Van Allsburg, ChrisCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To The Kilmer Family
This is a story about something that happened long ago when your grandfather was a child.
A terrible thirst and hunger came over him and a longing to taste that fruit. He put it hastily into his pocket; but there were plenty of others. Could it be wrong to taste one? After all, he thought, the notice on the gate might not have been exactly an order; it might have been only a piece of advice - and who cares about advice?
Now the trouble about trying to make yourself stupider than you really are is that you very often succeed.
For what you see and hear depends a good deal on where you are standing: it also depends on what sort of person you are.
Please do NOT combine "The Magician's Nephew" with "The Chronicles of Narnia".
Unabridged - please do NOT combine with any abridged edition.

If you ever did

want to know where the White Witch

came from, read this book.

(CathWhitney)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0064471101, Mass Market Paperback)

This large, deluxe hardcover edition of the first title in the classic Chronicles of Narnia series, The Magician's Nephew, is a gorgeous introduction to the magical land of Narnia. The many readers who discovered C.S. Lewis's Chronicles through The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe will be delighted to find that the next volume in the series is actually the first in the sequence--and a step back in time. In this unforgettable story, British schoolchildren Polly and Digory inadvertently tumble into the Wood Between the Worlds, where they meet the evil Queen Jadis and, ultimately, the great, mysterious King Aslan. We witness the birth of Narnia and discover the legendary source of all the adventures that are to follow in the seven books that comprise the series.

Rich, heavy pages, a gold-embossed cover, and Pauline Baynes's original illustrations (hand-colored by the illustrator herself 40 years later) make this special edition of a classic a bona fide treasure. (Ages 9 and older) --Emilie Coulter

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:23 -0400)

When Digory and Polly try to return the wicked witch Jadis to her own world, the magic gets mixed up and they all land in Narnia where they witness Aslan blessing the animals with human speech.

Legacy Library: C. S. Lewis

C. S. Lewis has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See C. S. Lewis's legacy profile.

See C. S. Lewis's author page.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,219,455 books! | Top bar: Always visible