I Will Chomp You! by Jory John

I Will Chomp You!

by Jory John, Bob Shea (Illustrator)

Not my favorite
  gretchensanders | Mar 11, 2016 |
Reminded me of The Monster at the End of This Book and The Book With No Pictures in the way that it talks directly to the reader/audience. I liked the bit with the cakes at the end, and my infant liked the bright colors and high-contrast illustrations. Fun read-aloud book. ( )
  JennyArch | Jan 8, 2016 |
Read on December 18, 2015

I love cake -- as does the monster in this book (that's a spoiler!) who threatens to chomp the reader if they keep turning the pages. This is a fun read aloud because you can yell "I WILL CHOMP YOU" and because kids like it when they get to do things they're told NOT to do.

Funny words by Jory John, colorful pictures by Bob Shea, and cake. How can you go wrong? ( )
  melissarochelle | Jan 3, 2016 |
This book uses meta-fiction to help increase the interaction with readers, The blue dinosaur looking guy is completely aware of the audience, in fact, his struggle is trying to keep them from continuing on, and threatening to "chomp!" Of course, as the reader we continue the book, and the dinosaur is losing his gumption, finally we find out why he doesn't want the story to continue...he has a huge smorgasbord of cakes at the end! He offers half to never have the book read again, but that will happen, so he eats them all up instead. ( )
  candyceutter | Sep 29, 2015 |
Funny book for preschoolers! ( )
  melodyreads | Sep 3, 2015 |

Jory Johnprimary authorall editionscalculated
Shea, BobIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed

STOP RIGHT THERE. Don’t move a muscle, buster. Stay out of this book or I WILL CHOMP YOU!

So says the not-so-fierce inhabitant of I Will Chomp You!, a tale of deception, greed . . . and cake!

Jory John and Bob Shea bring a fresh, hilarious twist to a time-tested blueprint as their little monster threatens, reasons, and pleads with readers to go no further in the book because he will NOT share his beautiful, delicious cakes. Children will identify with the monster’s high valuation of his possessions, and (importantly) will laugh at the silly measures he takes to protect them.
I WILL CHOMP YOU!

A monster’s reign of terror begins even before the title page: “HEY. GO AWAY.” Turn to the title page and there the monster waits, blue-skinned and angry-eyed: “I WILL CHOMP YOU!” As the reader turns the pages, the monster’s direct-address threats increase: “If you turn any more pages…I WILL CHOMP YOU, BUSTER!” Another page turn and the monster is even angrier: “NOW QUIT IT!” Until finally, “HEY! I’m warning you! You’ve been officially WARNED! CHOMP!” Unfortunately for the monster, the reader is just too fast, and its chomp misses the mark. The monster proceeds to bite, yell, and barrel its way through the pages, repeatedly trying to halt-by-chomping the reader from reaching its secret hidden in the back pages of the book (psst, it’s cake). This book, written entirely as monster monologue, is all bright colors and sharp edges, creating a feeling of temper-tantrum immediacy that matches the silly-angry words. Shea’s illustrations are bold but not too busy, giving the impression of fast movement and strong emotions, and the striped shirt–wearing monster is lovable in an ankle-biting kind of way. The fast pace, funny faces, and silly secret make this a great read-aloud. siân gaetano THE HORN BOOK

(retrieved from Amazon Wed, 22 Jul 2015 03:12:48 -0400)

A monster tries to chomp any reader who wants to go past the first page of the book in order to keep his cakes safe.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,422,579 books! | Top bar: Always visible