The Salmon of Doubt: Hitchhiking the Galaxy…

The Salmon of Doubt: Hitchhiking the Galaxy One Last Time (2002)

by Douglas Adams

Other authors: Richard Dawkins (Afterword), Stephen Fry (Foreword), Peter Guzzardi (Editor), Nicholas Wroe (Preface)

Series: The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (6), Dirk Gently (Unfinished Novel)

American Gods by Neil Gaiman (PghDragonMan)
    PghDragonMan: If you like the idea of gods walking among us mortals, read what Gaiman has to say about this.

This contains his last (unfinished) Dirk Gently novel and some pieces done for interviews and other journalism. They were salvaged from his computer files, posthumously.
I found it hard to read, as I was so sad that this was the last Douglas Adams' stuff there would ever be. I reread it four years later. ( )
  DinadansFriend | Aug 6, 2014 |
Short stories on the following themes; frustration about computers, absurd humor, atheism, word games. ( )
  albertkep | Jan 21, 2014 |
A posthumous collection of Douglas Adams' essays, interviews, column, stories, and the beginning of an unfinished novel. The part of the novel that is here is really funny.

The rest of the writing tells a lot about Adams that you don't learn from his novels. ( )
  SebastianHagelstein | Jan 4, 2014 |
There were some parts of the Salmon of Doubt that I found interesting, funny, and enjoyable, but on the whole I found the book rather tedious to get through. I'd still recommend it though to any Douglas Adams fans. ( )
  Kythe42 | Jul 10, 2013 |
Please note: This rating is for all the material except the unfinished story which lends the collection its name. I decided not to read it after thinking a bit about an essay--in the first section--on the brilliance of P.G. Wodehouse: how each idea was put into words, the story assembled, the words and sentence structure refined by a mind that was so marvelously skilled at all of it and more. Yeah, he gets a bit hyperbolic, but it's understandable. The essay is less an introduction--to an unfinished book he couldn't really recommend for a Wodehouse newbie--than it's a lament for the decline and loss of a mind who played a massive role in shaping how DNA thought about language. It's a good essay. You should read it.

I've loved Douglas Adams' writing ever since 5th grade, when I was too young to get a lot of the jokes in The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy but old enough to laugh at the wordplay. I grew up with his writing, and now he's gone. Skipping past "The Salmon of Doubt" was quick but agonizing, and I began to reconsider...

Thank you, Richard Dawkins, for writing that lament. Many thanks to the editor who placed it at the end of the book. It was and is a perfect closing statement. Some day I'll read The Salmon, but not right now. To study how DNA wrote what he wrote? Yes. Right now, though, I just feel like celebrating the finished products of his craft.

A confession: I still haven't read any Wodehouse, and now feel (if possible)even more guilty about that sorry truth.

beth.t.goldstein | Apr 24, 2013 |

Serra, LauraTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tran, DavidCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Polly
Dear Editor,
The sweat was dripping down by face and into my lap, making my clothes very wet and sticky.
“The following morning the weather was so foul it hardly deserved the name, and Dirk decided to call it Stanley instead. Stanley wasn’t a good downpour. Nothing wrong with a good downpour for clearing the air. Stanley was the sort of thing you needed a good downpour to clear the air of. Stanley was muggy, close, and oppressive, like some one large and sweaty pressed up against you in a tube train. Stanley didn’t rain, but every so often he dribbled on you. Dirk stood outside in the Stanley.”

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0345455290, Mass Market Paperback)

On Friday, May 11, 2001, the world mourned the untimely passing of Douglas Adams, beloved creator of The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy, dead of a heart attack at age forty-nine. Thankfully, in addition to a magnificent literary legacy—which includes seven novels and three co-authored works of nonfiction—Douglas left us something more. The book you are about to enjoy was rescued from his four computers, culled from an archive of chapters from his long-awaited novel-in-progress, as well as his short stories, speeches, articles, interviews, and letters.

In a way that none of his previous books could, The Salmon of Doubt provides the full, dazzling, laugh-out-loud experience of a journey through the galaxy as perceived by Douglas Adams. From a boy’s first love letter (to his favorite science fiction magazine) to the distinction of possessing a nose of heroic proportions; from climbing Kilimanjaro in a rhino costume to explaining why Americans can’t make a decent cup of tea; from lyrical tributes to the sublime pleasures found in music by Procol Harum, the Beatles, and Bach to the follies of his hopeless infatuation with technology; from fantastic, fictional forays into the private life of Genghis Khan to extended visits with Dirk Gently and Zaphod Beeblebrox: this is the vista from the elevated perch of one of the tallest, funniest, most brilliant, and most penetrating social critics and thinkers of our time.

Welcome to the wonderful mind of Douglas Adams.

From the Hardcover edition.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:44:45 -0400)

From the unfathomable imagination of Douglas Adams, this is his internationally bestselling final book; a zany collection of essays, articles, anecdotes, and stories.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,343,778 books! | Top bar: Always visible