Strong Poison by Dorothy L. Sayers

Strong Poison (1930)

by Dorothy L. Sayers

Series: Lord Peter Wimsey (6)

Recently added byjillianforman, Erina39, private library, JenniferMorocco, Gillian-D, stephlibr
Legacy LibrariesHarry S Truman, Sterling E. Lanier
    Maisie Dobbs by Jacqueline Winspear (sandykaypax)
    Cocaine Blues by Kerry Greenwood (aulsmith)
    Among the Bohemians: Experiments in Living 1900-1939 by Virginia Nicholson (aulsmith)
    aulsmith: This explains much about Harriet's predicament that I didn't previously understand.

English (74)  Danish (2)  Spanish (1)  Swedish (1)  German (1)  All languages (79)
This is the book that introduces Harriet Vane as Peter Wimsey's love interest. Vane is a mystery novelist, not conventionally pretty but very smart, who at the start of the book is on trial for the murder of her ex-lover by poison, exactly as described in one of her novels. Wimsey improbably falls in love with her just watching her in the courtroom and proposes marriage almost immediately, despite Vane's scandalous behavior of having lived with her lover before marriage.

The case against Vane appears air-tight, yet Wimsey is determined to free her, and he enlists the help of Miss Clemson, a courage and savvy spinster and part of Wimsey's "cattery," a sort of secretarial pool that serves as his amateur detective agency. It's all fun stuff, with tea and bake shops and mediums and rich old ladies with hidden wills. I enjoyed it immensely, although I figured out the murder method easily, and you will, too. ( )
  CasualFriday | Aug 24, 2018 |
This is the book where Peter meets Harriet. As a mystery, it's more of a "how did he do it?" than "who did it?" because there is only one possible suspect. But getting there is lots of fun. Sayers is a talented writer, and there are scenes that are laugh out loud funny, as well as nerve-wrackingly tense. The characters are wonderful. Peter Wimsey is always a delight, and Miss Murcheson, Bunter, and his other assistants are well-drawn and real. Harriet herself is wonderful. She is prickly, angry, and not at all soft-spoken. She is not in the least interested in Peter, and says so. Fun all around. ( )
  teckelvik | Mar 29, 2018 |
There was really only one suspect, one person it could possibly be, and those kinds of mysteries are a total bore. Probably shouldn't give it three stars, but I liked Harriet Vane. She's worth one star, but I'm not sure I liked her enough to read another Wimsey novel. This is the second one I've tried, and at least I finished this one. ( )
  MelissaLenhardt | Mar 11, 2018 |
My first Sayers. What fun! The language is a delight. Really thrust me into the time and place of the novel. Lord Peter is such a character, and the ladies of his Cattery are no slouches either. They had me cheering for them as they went about their missions. And Bunter! I fell into like at first sight for most of the cast. I look forward to seeing more of Harriet Vane. If she's turned him goopy, she must really be something else. ( )
  mrsrobin | Jun 24, 2017 |

George, ElizabethIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Griffini, Grazia MariaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lehtonen, PaavoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Michal,MarieCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
There were crimson roses on the bench; they looked like splashes of blood.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0061043508, Mass Market Paperback)

Mystery novelist Harriet Vane knew all about poisons, and when her fiancÉ died in the manner prescribed in one of her books, a jury of her peers had a hangman's noose in mind. But Lord Peter Wimsey was determined to find her innocent--as determined as he was to make her his wife.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:31 -0400)

Dashing detective Lord Peter Wimsey is caught up in the murder trial of mystery writer Harriet Vane. Her fiance has died of poisoning exactly as described in one of Harriet's novels -- so naturally she is the prime suspect. As Peter looks on, he not only falls in love with the accused but eagerly helps with Harriet's defense when the first trial ends in a hung jury. Will she be convicted and executed for the crime, or can he save her life and win her hand in marriage?… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,843,237 books! | Top bar: Always visible