Deadline by Chris Crutcher

Deadline (2007)

by Chris Crutcher

Wenny Has Wings by Janet Lee Carey (keeneam)
    keeneam: A bit harder concepts for younger readers, but has a similar theme. It deals with the after effects of death.
    10 Things to Do Before I Die by Daniel Ehrenhaft (HollyMS)
    Going Bovine by Libba Bray (foggidawn)
    Whale Talk by Chris Crutcher (meggyweg)
    Chinese Handcuffs by Chris Crutcher (meggyweg)
    Before I Die by Jenny Downham (meggyweg)

I love Chris Crutcher. And this new offering is very good. Ben Wolf is likeable but flawed and he discovers in his one glorious year that truth is the most valuable commodity in life and that he can't fix everything that's broken in his life. All the characters are complex and well-rounded and there are some shocking back stories. On the negative side, I found the long descriptions of American football games rather tedious, but that might be because I'm Australian and female! Equally, I'm not sure who the audience for this book is. It's kind of a chick book wrapped in a guy story - a bit like Markus Zusak's Reuben Wolfe (no relation!) novels - but it's a good companion novel to "Before I die" by Jenny Downham. ( )
  mmacd3814 | May 30, 2016 |
  thukpa | Feb 6, 2016 |
  thukpa | Feb 6, 2016 |
  thukpa | Feb 5, 2016 |
This was an interesting book about Ben Wolf, an eighteen year-old boy who only has 12 months to live. When Ben finds out about his terminal illness he decides to keep the truth from everyone, refuse treatment and live life to the fullest on his terms. However, the truth is hard to hide.

Ben is a worthy narrator, although I found his dreams irritating and contrived, but while I like Ben, my favourite character is his younger, taller brother, Cody. This book raises some heavy issues including death, mental illness, sexual abuse, teenage pregnancy, family dynamics, suicide, racism, freedom of speech and homelessness - far too many for a book with only 316 pages. ( )
  HeatherLINC | Jan 23, 2016 |

Chris Crutcherprimary authorall editionscalculated
Boyer, StevenNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
My plan was to focus my senior year on information I could use after graduation when I set out for Planet Earth from the Pluto that is Trout, Idaho, population 943.
Plus, I'm blessed with the one thing no one on our team or any other team has. I'm blessed with nothing to lose. --pg. 20

Ben Wolf, after finding out that he has an aggressive blood disease over the summer, decides he must make the most of the year that he is given to live. He makes his doctor swear not to tell anyone about the disease, as he wants as normal of a high school senior's year as he can get. Ben decides that he has to fit the rest of his life into a year. He goes out for the football team, asks out the girl he had always been afraid of, and grows closer to the town drunk without fear, because he believes he has nothing to lose. However, it is never that easy, and Ben has to face some difficult decisions about the truth and trust during the one year he has.

Ben Wolf has big things planned for his senior year. Had big things planned. Now what he has is some very bad news and only one year left to make his mark on the world.

How can a pint-sized, smart-ass seventeen-year-old do anything significant in the nowheresville of Trout, Idaho?

First, Ben makes sure that no one else knows what is going on—not his superstar quarterback brother, Cody, not his parents, not his coach, no one. Next, he decides to become the best 127-pound football player Trout High has ever seen; to give his close-minded civics teacher a daily migraine; and to help the local drunk clean up his act.

And then there's Dallas Suzuki. Amazingly perfect, fascinating Dallas Suzuki, who may or may not give Ben the time of day. Really, she's first on the list.

Living with a secret isn't easy, though, and Ben's resolve begins to crumble . . . especially when he realizes that he isn't the only person in Trout with secrets.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:05 -0400)

Given the medical diagnosis of one year to live, high school senior Ben Wolf decides to fulfill his greatest fantasies, ponders his life's purpose and legacy, and converses through dreams with a spiritual guide known as "Hey-Soos."

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,056,983 books! | Top bar: Always visible