Promise Not to Tell by Jennifer McMahon

Promise Not to Tell

by Jennifer McMahon

English (59)  German (1)  All (60)
Told in past and present narratives. A murder of a young girl takes place in each era. There are some great characters in this story. I thought the character of Del was quite interesting. There is a ghost story aspect to this novel which I really liked, it brought more suspense to an otherwise somewhat ordinary story. This is a quick read for sure. I you are looking for a murder thriller, there are better ones out there. ( )
  bnbookgirl | Mar 14, 2017 |
Really fun paranormal thriller. This is the author's first book and not as good as the others I've read of hers but a great first novel. I usually don't like paranormal events in my murder thrillers but this worked for me as it was a side element and the killer was very much indeed a real person. I always enjoy the device of having a past crime and current one meshed together like this and it really kept me on my toes. I was able to figure out who the killer was but not until close to the reveal. ( )
  ElizaJane | Nov 18, 2016 |
Ohhhh what a good who-done-it / ghost story. I'd like to give it 4.5 stars, not sure why I won't give it 5...? Maybe bc it's yet another ghost story and I'm getting my fill of those lately. I'd recommend for sure if you like these sort of stories. ( )
  Sharn | Aug 1, 2016 |
Closer to a 3.5--I keep wishing a half star were an option! This book is basically a story from the past and a story from the present with alternating chapters. Using that device pulls the reader through the book. I wasn't surprised by who the "bad guy" was in the ending, but I was surprised by the ending. A nice, quick mystery read with a touch of the supernatural and interesting characters and setting. ( )
  mamashepp | Mar 29, 2016 |
  mamashepp | Mar 29, 2016 |

Jennifer McMahonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Ostrop, BarbaraTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
One potato, two potato, three potato, four she used to live here long ago, she doesn't anymore

One potato, two potato, three potato, four she's coming after you now, better lock the door.
For my mother, who taught me to believe in ghosts, And my father, ever skeptical
PROLOGUE: When the Potato Girl was murdered, the killer cut out her heart.
CHAPTER ONE: "Touch it." she said.

Forty-one-year-old school nurse Kate Cypher has returned home to rural Vermont to care for her mother who's afflicted with Alzheimer's. On the night she arrives, a young girl is murdered — a horrific crime that eerily mirrors another from Kate's childhood. Three decades earlier, her dirt-poor friend Del — shunned and derided by classmates as "Potato Girl" — was brutally slain. Del's killer was never found, while the victim has since achieved immortality in local legends and ghost stories. Now, as this new murder investigation draws Kate irresistibly in, her past and present collide in terrifying, unexpected ways. Because nothing is quite what it seems... and the grim specters of her youth are far from forgotten.

More than just a murder mystery, Jennifer McMahon's extraordinary debut novel, Promise Not to Tell, is a story of friendship and family, devotion and betrayal — tautly written, deeply insightful, beautifully evocative, and utterly unforgettable.

Forty-one-year-old school nurse Kate Cypher has returned home to rural Vermont to care for her mother who's afflicted with Alzheimer's. On the night she arrives, a young girl is murdered—a horrific crime that eerily mirrors another from Kate's childhood. Three decades earlier, her dirt-poor friend Del—shunned and derided by classmates as "Potato Girl"—was brutally slain. Del's killer was never found, while the victim has since achieved immortality in local legends and ghost stories. Now, as this new murder investigation draws Kate irresistibly in, her past and present collide in terrifying, unexpected ways. Because nothing is quite what it seems . . . and the grim specters of her youth are far from forgotten.

More than just a murder mystery, Jennifer McMahon's extraordinary debut novel, Promise Not to Tell, is a story of friendship and family, devotion and betrayal—tautly written, deeply insightful, beautifully evocative, and utterly unforgettable.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:20 -0400)

Returning to her small home town in Vermont to care for her Alzheimer's patient mother, reserved forty-one-year-old nurse Kate finds herself inadvertently drawn into the murder investigation of a young girl, a case that reminds her of the death of an impoverished childhood friend years earlier.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,520,828 books! | Top bar: Always visible