The Five People You Meet in Heaven by Mitch…

The Five People You Meet in Heaven (2003)

by Mitch Albom

English (298)  Spanish (2)  Hungarian (1)  French (1)  Dutch (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  German (1)  All languages (305)
It looks like Mitch Albom and I do not really match. This book is not really my cup of tea. I just can't get into it and while reading I kept thinking that I did not understand the purpose of the meetings and the conversations.

I am not patient enough to keep reading till the end to see if things get clearer. I'm putting this one aside now.
1 vote BoekenTrol71 | Jan 24, 2015 |
I watched the movie on TV when I was younger and was quite happy when I found the book. It was a great movie and a good book. ( )
  lululovebaby | Jan 21, 2015 |
I tried to read this book during my senior year of high school and was not able to muddle through it. I don't know why the book was so difficult. I had very little ability to stay interested in the material. One day, I hope to get through this book as it has been very recommended. ( )
  cbrwn92 | Jan 13, 2015 |
READ IN ENGLISH

When I was 13 I watched the movie-adaptation with my parents and was heavenly shocked by the story. I had always heard that heaven was a wonderful place, and this version seemed to be really confrontational. Showing you everything you lost and everyone's trouble you caused.

But it made me want to read the book as well. And though I already knew the story I really liked the book. The way it was written was just fitted the story and the context. I was a little bit older when I read the book, and everything seemed to be more in place now. It's a wonderful book I would love to recommend to everyone! ( )
  Floratina | Jan 4, 2015 |
This was such a lovely, hopeful and thought provoking work of fiction. But here's the thing - a bit of me believes/hopes that it's bordering on fact.

Mitch Albom's 'The Five People You Meet In Heaven' tells the tale of Eddie, the fairground maintainance man and his story begins on his 83rd birthday.......his last day on earth.

To help him put his lifetime into perspective he is met in heaven by 5 people from his past, some he knows - some he doesn't, but they all hold information that will help Eddie make sense of his life and understand what led him to arrive in heaven on the day he did.

The message seems to be that whether we are aware of it or not, everything happens for a reason but more importantly, even trivial things can shape a person and that every encounter, occurance or event is tightly woven into the fabric of our lives.

It is a very quick read, at just over 100 pages, but Mr Albom's writing style seems to pack a lot into those 100 pages. It's not 'gripping' or 'fast paced' but it is a page turner. I read it in one sitting as I couldn't wait to find out who Eddie's 5 people were and what his personal heaven would be.

I don't think I've ever sobbed as much over a book as I did at the bittersweet ending of this one. I didn't see the 5th person coming and was literally moved to tears at their fragment of Eddie's life.

It gets 5 out of 5 from me and I'm so glad I've read it. ( )
  SilverThistle | Dec 31, 2014 |
''The Five People You Meet in Heaven'' can be reduced to a string of.. reassuring verities and a list of who Eddie's five people turn out to be... But that would do an injustice to a book with the genuine power to stir and comfort its readers.

This book is dedicated to Edward Beitchman, my beloved uncle, who gave me my first concept of heaven. Every year, around the Thanksgiving table, he spoke of a night in the hospital when he awoke to see the souls of his departed loved ones sitting on the edge of the bed, waiting for him. I never forgot that story. And I never forgot him.
Everyone has an idea of heaven, as do most religions, and they should all be respected. The version represented here is only a guess, a wish, in some ways, that my uncle, and others like him--people who felt unimportant here on earth--realize, finally, how much they mattered and how they were loved.
This is a story about a man named Eddie and it begins at the end, with Eddie dying in the sun.
Holding anger is a poison. It eats you from the inside. We think that hating is a weapon that attacks the person who harmed us. But hatred is a curved blade. And the harm we do, we do to ourselves.

On his 83rd birthday a man dies trying to save a little girl. He wakes up in heaven, where a succession of five people are waiting to show him the true meaning and value of his life.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0786868716, Hardcover)

Part melodrama and part parable, Mitch Albom's The Five People You Meet in Heaven weaves together three stories, all told about the same man: 83-year-old Eddie, the head maintenance person at Ruby Point Amusement Park. As the novel opens, readers are told that Eddie, unsuspecting, is only minutes away from death as he goes about his typical business at the park. Albom then traces Eddie's world through his tragic final moments, his funeral, and the ensuing days as friends clean out his apartment and adjust to life without him. In alternating sections, Albom flashes back to Eddie's birthdays, telling his life story as a kind of progress report over candles and cake each year. And in the third and last thread of the novel, Albom follows Eddie into heaven where the maintenance man sequentially encounters five pivotal figures from his life (a la A Christmas Carol). Each person has been waiting for him in heaven, and, as Albom reveals, each life (and death) was woven into Eddie's own in ways he never suspected. Each soul has a story to tell, a secret to reveal, and a lesson to share. Through them Eddie understands the meaning of his own life even as his arrival brings closure to theirs.

Albom takes a big risk with the novel; such a story can easily veer into the saccharine and preachy, and this one does in moments. But, for the most part, Albom's telling remains poignant and is occasionally profound. Even with its flaws, The Five People You Meet in Heaven is a small, pure, and simple book that will find good company on a shelf next to It's A Wonderful Life. --Patrick O'Kelley

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:29:46 -0400)

Killed in a tragic accident, Eddie, an elderly man who believes that he had an uninspired life, awakens in the afterlife, where he discovers that heaven consists of having five people explain the meaning of one's life.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 95,139,596 books! | Top bar: Always visible