The Five People You Meet in Heaven by Mitch…

The Five People You Meet in Heaven (2003)

by Mitch Albom

English (305)  Spanish (2)  Hungarian (1)  French (1)  Dutch (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  German (1)  All languages (312)
I enjoyed reading The Five People You Meet in Heaven; that having been said, the ending felt, to me, a bit awkward and out-of-sync. The characters were well-developed, the storyline moved right along and the plot held my interest - until (close to) the end. I've read several other Albom books . . Tuesdays with Morrie and The Time Keeper; The Five People You Meet in Heaven was published in 2003 - I've added his most recent,The First Phone Call from Heaven (published in 2013) to my "Must Read" list. It'll be interesting to see how the author's style has developed. Four stars. ( )
  idajo2 | Nov 3, 2015 |
Touching and hopeful. Makes me appreciate life a little bit more. ( )
  trile1000 | Oct 23, 2015 |
Somewhat thought provoking and definitely interesting, although, and I can't say why, disappointing... ( )
  Denise.Jenne | Sep 29, 2015 |
I cannot think of a more perfect book, more well-drawn or significant. Drives home with clarity and forceful honesty the theme that everything happens for a reason, and "this is the greatest gift God can give you, to have your life explained." ( )
  Victor_A_Davis | Sep 18, 2015 |
Nice story but a bit "thin" and uninspiring. Wasn't one to make me think deeply - maybe it should have been? ( )
2 vote jvgravy | Jul 29, 2015 |
''The Five People You Meet in Heaven'' can be reduced to a string of.. reassuring verities and a list of who Eddie's five people turn out to be... But that would do an injustice to a book with the genuine power to stir and comfort its readers.
This book is dedicated to Edward Beitchman, my beloved uncle, who gave me my first concept of heaven. Every year, around the Thanksgiving table, he spoke of a night in the hospital when he awoke to see the souls of his departed loved ones sitting on the edge of the bed, waiting for him. I never forgot that story. And I never forgot him.
Everyone has an idea of heaven, as do most religions, and they should all be respected. The version represented here is only a guess, a wish, in some ways, that my uncle, and others like him--people who felt unimportant here on earth--realize, finally, how much they mattered and how they were loved.
This is a story about a man named Eddie and it begins at the end, with Eddie dying in the sun.
Holding anger is a poison. It eats you from the inside. We think that hating is a weapon that attacks the person who harmed us. But hatred is a curved blade. And the harm we do, we do to ourselves.

On his 83rd birthday a man dies trying to save a little girl. He wakes up in heaven, where a succession of five people are waiting to show him the true meaning and value of his life.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0786868716, Hardcover)

Part melodrama and part parable, Mitch Albom's The Five People You Meet in Heaven weaves together three stories, all told about the same man: 83-year-old Eddie, the head maintenance person at Ruby Point Amusement Park. As the novel opens, readers are told that Eddie, unsuspecting, is only minutes away from death as he goes about his typical business at the park. Albom then traces Eddie's world through his tragic final moments, his funeral, and the ensuing days as friends clean out his apartment and adjust to life without him. In alternating sections, Albom flashes back to Eddie's birthdays, telling his life story as a kind of progress report over candles and cake each year. And in the third and last thread of the novel, Albom follows Eddie into heaven where the maintenance man sequentially encounters five pivotal figures from his life (a la A Christmas Carol). Each person has been waiting for him in heaven, and, as Albom reveals, each life (and death) was woven into Eddie's own in ways he never suspected. Each soul has a story to tell, a secret to reveal, and a lesson to share. Through them Eddie understands the meaning of his own life even as his arrival brings closure to theirs.

Albom takes a big risk with the novel; such a story can easily veer into the saccharine and preachy, and this one does in moments. But, for the most part, Albom's telling remains poignant and is occasionally profound. Even with its flaws, The Five People You Meet in Heaven is a small, pure, and simple book that will find good company on a shelf next to It's A Wonderful Life. --Patrick O'Kelley

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:39 -0400)

Killed in a tragic accident, Eddie, an elderly man who believes that he had an uninspired life, awakens in the afterlife, where he discovers that heaven consists of having five people explain the meaning of one's life.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,904,807 books! | Top bar: Always visible