dismiss

The Five People You Meet in Heaven by Mitch…

The Five People You Meet in Heaven (2003)

by Mitch Albom

Eddie awakes in the afterlife, where he learns that heaven is not a destination. It's a place where your life is explained to you by five people, some of whom you knew, others who may have been strangers. One by one, from childhood to soldier to old age, Eddie's five people revisit their connections to him on earth, illuminating the mysteries of his "meaningless" life, and revealing the haunting secret behind the eternal question: "Why was I here?"… (more)

English (355)  Spanish (3)  German (3)  French (2)  Hungarian (1)  Dutch (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  All languages (366)
"Learn this from me. Holding anger is a poison. It eats you from inside. We think that hating is a weapon that attacks the person who harmed us. But hatred is a curved blade. And the harm we do, we do to ourselves."

I love this book. One of the rare ones I can honestly give 5 stars to.This book changed my life. ( )
  VavaViolet | Apr 24, 2020 |
Eddie dies and goes to Heaven, where 5 people reveal to him the reason things happened in his life. ( )
  LindaLeeJacobs | Feb 15, 2020 |
This is a story about a man named Eddie who did maintenance at an amusement park. After he dies he meets 5 people from his life, some he did not even meet but they touched his life or he touched their lives. The thoughts of value that I took from this book are: 1)We are all connected; 2)Sometimes when you sacrifice something precious, you're not really loosing it, you are just passing it on to someone else; 3)People and things that happen before you are born still affect you; 4)Is a life unexplained or a death unexplained worse?.
  WaterMillChurch | Jan 13, 2020 |
READ IN ENGLISH

When I was 13 I watched the movie-adaptation with my parents and was heavenly shocked by the story. I had always heard that heaven was a wonderful place, and this version seemed to be really confrontational. Showing you everything you lost and everyone's trouble you caused.

But it made me want to read the book as well. And though I already knew the story I really liked the book. The way it was written was just fitted the story and the context. I was a little bit older when I read the book, and everything seemed to be more in place now. It's a wonderful book I would love to recommend to everyone! ( )
  Floratina | Dec 7, 2019 |
I seldom if ever reread books but something compelled me to read this again and I am so glad I did. This is a book that I would dare to recommend for everyone to read. Such a sweet viewpoint about life. I believe this could very well be a true depiction of the way it is. I hope so. ( )
  joyfulmimi | Aug 20, 2019 |
''The Five People You Meet in Heaven'' can be reduced to a string of.. reassuring verities and a list of who Eddie's five people turn out to be... But that would do an injustice to a book with the genuine power to stir and comfort its readers.

This book is dedicated to Edward Beitchman, my beloved uncle, who gave me my first concept of heaven. Every year, around the Thanksgiving table, he spoke of a night in the hospital when he awoke to see the souls of his departed loved ones sitting on the edge of the bed, waiting for him. I never forgot that story. And I never forgot him.
Everyone has an idea of heaven, as do most religions, and they should all be respected. The version represented here is only a guess, a wish, in some ways, that my uncle, and others like him--people who felt unimportant here on earth--realize, finally, how much they mattered and how they were loved.
This is a story about a man named Eddie and it begins at the end, with Eddie dying in the sun.
Holding anger is a poison. It eats you from the inside. We think that hating is a weapon that attacks the person who harmed us. But hatred is a curved blade. And the harm we do, we do to ourselves.
All parents damage their children. It cannot be helped. Youth, like pristine glass, absorbs the prints of its handlers. Some parents smudge, others crack, a few shatter childhoods completely into jagged little pieces, beyond repair.
There are no random acts...We are all connected...You can no more separate one life from another than you can separate a breeze from the wind...
Love like rain, can nourish from above, drenching couples with soaking joy. But sometimes, under the angry heat of life, love dries on the surface and must nourish from below, tending to its roots, keeping itself alive.
This is the greatest gift God can give you: to understand what happened in your life. To have it explained. It is the peace you have been searching for.

On his 83rd birthday a man dies trying to save a little girl. He wakes up in heaven, where a succession of five people are waiting to show him the true meaning and value of his life.

Poolbeg Press

An edition of this book was published by Poolbeg Press.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 146,384,607 books! | Top bar: Always visible