The Five People You Meet in Heaven by Mitch…

The Five People You Meet in Heaven (2003)

by Mitch Albom

Recently added bykristenalexandraa, INorris, LaBla, mcwilson, LHope, Laurochka, thukpa, private library

English (317)  Spanish (2)  Hungarian (1)  French (1)  Dutch (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  German (1)  All languages (324)
It's a bit maudlin in places, but a very touching story. I kept thinking of who MY five people would be, and/or for which people I would be one of their five. But as Eddie's story unfolded, I kep revising who might be waiting for me to help me explain my life. Of course, it has to be someone who dies before I do. It has to be someone with a lesson to teach. It makes me want to keep my eyes and ears open for lessoins as I go through life. ( )
  BookConcierge | Feb 9, 2016 |
A quick and heartwarming read, perhaps bigged up a little too much so my expectations were pretty high. It didn't disappoint Too much however but this book probably doesn't need me to recommend it any further. ( )
  Laurochka | Feb 6, 2016 |
From the author of Tuesdays with Morrie. Another personal story woven through an a people story with lives impacted. ok. ( )
  deldevries | Jan 31, 2016 |
The story is an intriguing one. Eddie, a park maintenance man in his 80s, dies while attemtping to rescue a small girl from a nasty fairground accident. The book opens by mentioning that he's about to die, then gives a countdown of his last hour. So it's no shock when it happens. The focus of the book is what happens after he dies - where, as the title explains, he meets five specific people. These aren't necessarily five people he would have expected to meet, indeed he barely knows one of them and had never met another. However each of them had some involvement in his life, and is there to teach him something he needs to learn before he can have a peaceful eternity.

It might sound trite, but I didn't find it that way at all. It could have been confusing - the book is a complex tapestry with snapshots of Eddie's life interspersed with his heavenly meetings. But it's very cleverly written, building up a vivid picture of this thoroughly likeable old man.

All in all, a highly recommended 'different' type of book. ( )
  SueinCyprus | Jan 26, 2016 |
Disappointing ( )
  Gingermama | Jan 24, 2016 |
''The Five People You Meet in Heaven'' can be reduced to a string of.. reassuring verities and a list of who Eddie's five people turn out to be... But that would do an injustice to a book with the genuine power to stir and comfort its readers.

This book is dedicated to Edward Beitchman, my beloved uncle, who gave me my first concept of heaven. Every year, around the Thanksgiving table, he spoke of a night in the hospital when he awoke to see the souls of his departed loved ones sitting on the edge of the bed, waiting for him. I never forgot that story. And I never forgot him.
Everyone has an idea of heaven, as do most religions, and they should all be respected. The version represented here is only a guess, a wish, in some ways, that my uncle, and others like him--people who felt unimportant here on earth--realize, finally, how much they mattered and how they were loved.
This is a story about a man named Eddie and it begins at the end, with Eddie dying in the sun.
Holding anger is a poison. It eats you from the inside. We think that hating is a weapon that attacks the person who harmed us. But hatred is a curved blade. And the harm we do, we do to ourselves.

On his 83rd birthday a man dies trying to save a little girl. He wakes up in heaven, where a succession of five people are waiting to show him the true meaning and value of his life.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0786868716, Hardcover)

Part melodrama and part parable, Mitch Albom's The Five People You Meet in Heaven weaves together three stories, all told about the same man: 83-year-old Eddie, the head maintenance person at Ruby Point Amusement Park. As the novel opens, readers are told that Eddie, unsuspecting, is only minutes away from death as he goes about his typical business at the park. Albom then traces Eddie's world through his tragic final moments, his funeral, and the ensuing days as friends clean out his apartment and adjust to life without him. In alternating sections, Albom flashes back to Eddie's birthdays, telling his life story as a kind of progress report over candles and cake each year. And in the third and last thread of the novel, Albom follows Eddie into heaven where the maintenance man sequentially encounters five pivotal figures from his life (a la A Christmas Carol). Each person has been waiting for him in heaven, and, as Albom reveals, each life (and death) was woven into Eddie's own in ways he never suspected. Each soul has a story to tell, a secret to reveal, and a lesson to share. Through them Eddie understands the meaning of his own life even as his arrival brings closure to theirs.

Albom takes a big risk with the novel; such a story can easily veer into the saccharine and preachy, and this one does in moments. But, for the most part, Albom's telling remains poignant and is occasionally profound. Even with its flaws, The Five People You Meet in Heaven is a small, pure, and simple book that will find good company on a shelf next to It's A Wonderful Life. --Patrick O'Kelley

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:39 -0400)

Killed in a tragic accident, Eddie, an elderly man who believes that he had an uninspired life, awakens in the afterlife, where he discovers that heaven consists of having five people explain the meaning of one's life.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,186,704 books! | Top bar: Always visible