The Five People You Meet in Heaven by Mitch…

The Five People You Meet in Heaven (2003)

by Mitch Albom

Recently added byLOLSCWAZ, haysx5, Goey182, NazarethLibrary, midkid88, rena75, NewAlbinLibrary, private library

English (352)  German (2)  Spanish (2)  French (2)  Hungarian (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (361)
Eddie was the top maintenance man at a seaside theme park at the Ruby Pier and on his 83rd birthday gave his life trying to save a little girl's life. Now, he's in heaven meeting the first of five people who will explain his life to him. The first person is The Blue Man, a sideshow freak at the Ruby Pier. He drank too much silver nitrate to cure his nerves and it turned his skin blue so he joined the show to make a living. Eddie's ball ran out into the road just as he was learning to drive a car and he slammed on the brakes to avoid hitting him, but the shock to his heart caused him to have a heart attack and die. Here he learns that life is short.

Then he meets with his old Army Captain from World War II when he was captured in the Philippines. They were starved and tortured, but one night they overtook their captors and decided to burn down the buildings and village they were being held in. Eddie could have sworn he saw someone in one of the buildings and ran into it to save whoever it was inside, but it was just a shadow. His fellow soldier tried to stop him but was unsuccessful and Eddie was getting burned so his Captain shot him in the knee to bring him down so they could get him out of there. Losing his knee meant losing his dreams on the life of becoming an engineer because for him the War had really become real for him at that moment.

Eddie will go on to meet the Ruby of Ruby Pier and learn about forgiveness and letting go and then meet his wife. The fifth person will be a complete surprise and someone you won't be expecting, which makes the book worth reading. Eddie is a man who does not think much of his life and while this book shows the good and the bad, Eddie is more than just a maintenance man for a theme park. This book shows how we are all special in our own way and that there are five people waiting in heaven to explain to us why. I was expecting this book to be a real saccharine read that overdid the waterworks, but I was wrong. It wasn't sugary at all but rather realistic in the parts that deal with life on earth and logical with the ones that deal with the afterlife. I can't promise, though, that it won't keep away the waterworks as my book club read this book and some of them cried during parts of it, but it doesn't manipulate you into crying. I have to admit this is a very good book and I give it four out of five stars.

That there are no random acts. That we are all connected. That you can no more separate one life from another than you can separate a breeze from the wind.

-Mitch Albom (The Five People You Meet in Heaven p 48)

Strangers are just family you have yet to come to know.

-Mitch Albom (The Five People You Meet in Heaven p 49)

No life is a waste. The only time we waste is the time we spend thinking we are alone.

-Mitch Albom (The Five People You Meet in Heaven p 50)

All parents damage their children. It cannot be helped. Youth, like pristine glass, absorbs the prints of its handlers. Some parents smudge, others, crack, a few shatter childhoods completely into jagged little pieces beyond repair.

-Mitch Albom (The Five People You Meet In Heaven p 104)

Parents rarely let go of their children, so children let go of them. They move on. They move away. The moments that used to define them—a mother’s approval, a father’s nod—are covered by moments of their own accomplishments. It is not until much later, as the skin sags and the heart weakens, that children understand; their stories, and mothers and fathers, stones upon stones, beneath the waters of their lives.

-Mitch Albom (The Five People You Meet In Heaven p 126)

People say they “find” love, as if it were an object hidden by a rock. But love takes many forms, and it is never the same for any man and woman. What people find is a certain love.

-Mitch Albom (The Five People You Meet In Heaven p 155)

Life has to end. Love doesn’t.

-Mitch Albom (The Five People You Meet In Heaven p173)

Holding anger is a poison. It eats you from the inside. We think that hating is a weapon that attacks the person who harmed us. But hatred is a curved blade. And the harm we do, we do to ourselves.

-Mitch Albom (The Five People You Meet in Heaven p 141) ( )
  nicolewbrown | Nov 28, 2018 |
Truly inspirational. Mitch Albom tells the story of a man's fruitless life, and reveals a hidden remarkable story. He sends out a message that we should never allow ourselves to belittle our lives. ( )
  nu-bibliophile | Oct 20, 2018 |
Sappy fairytale ( )
  tgamble54 | Sep 2, 2018 |
I picked this up at London City Airport when flying on business to Germany. I started reading it immediately. It was a there and back business trip and I finished it on the flight back to the UK later in the day. The book moved me so much, in part because I had lost my father some few weeks before, and whilst my dad was nothing like Eddie's the scenes involving his dad touched me, particularly the scene at the diner. I had to hide my face from the other passengers at times as I am not ashamed to say that tears did flow. ( )
  AlanTainty | Aug 27, 2018 |
The ending was great. Didn't expect it at all! ( )
  AdrianaGarcia | Jul 10, 2018 |
''The Five People You Meet in Heaven'' can be reduced to a string of.. reassuring verities and a list of who Eddie's five people turn out to be... But that would do an injustice to a book with the genuine power to stir and comfort its readers.

This book is dedicated to Edward Beitchman, my beloved uncle, who gave me my first concept of heaven. Every year, around the Thanksgiving table, he spoke of a night in the hospital when he awoke to see the souls of his departed loved ones sitting on the edge of the bed, waiting for him. I never forgot that story. And I never forgot him.
Everyone has an idea of heaven, as do most religions, and they should all be respected. The version represented here is only a guess, a wish, in some ways, that my uncle, and others like him--people who felt unimportant here on earth--realize, finally, how much they mattered and how they were loved.
This is a story about a man named Eddie and it begins at the end, with Eddie dying in the sun.

On his 83rd birthday a man dies trying to save a little girl. He wakes up in heaven, where a succession of five people are waiting to show him the true meaning and value of his life.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0786868716, Hardcover)

Part melodrama and part parable, Mitch Albom's The Five People You Meet in Heaven weaves together three stories, all told about the same man: 83-year-old Eddie, the head maintenance person at Ruby Point Amusement Park. As the novel opens, readers are told that Eddie, unsuspecting, is only minutes away from death as he goes about his typical business at the park. Albom then traces Eddie's world through his tragic final moments, his funeral, and the ensuing days as friends clean out his apartment and adjust to life without him. In alternating sections, Albom flashes back to Eddie's birthdays, telling his life story as a kind of progress report over candles and cake each year. And in the third and last thread of the novel, Albom follows Eddie into heaven where the maintenance man sequentially encounters five pivotal figures from his life (a la A Christmas Carol). Each person has been waiting for him in heaven, and, as Albom reveals, each life (and death) was woven into Eddie's own in ways he never suspected. Each soul has a story to tell, a secret to reveal, and a lesson to share. Through them Eddie understands the meaning of his own life even as his arrival brings closure to theirs.

Albom takes a big risk with the novel; such a story can easily veer into the saccharine and preachy, and this one does in moments. But, for the most part, Albom's telling remains poignant and is occasionally profound. Even with its flaws, The Five People You Meet in Heaven is a small, pure, and simple book that will find good company on a shelf next to It's A Wonderful Life. --Patrick O'Kelley

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:39 -0400)

Killed in a tragic accident, Eddie, an elderly man who believes that he had an uninspired life, awakens in the afterlife, where he discovers that heaven consists of having five people explain the meaning of one's life.

Poolbeg Press

An edition of this book was published by Poolbeg Press.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,803,285 books! | Top bar: Always visible