The Murder of Roger Ackroyd by Agatha…

The Murder of Roger Ackroyd (1926)

by Agatha Christie

Series: Hercule Poirot Mystery (4)

6,136202667 (4.03)502

English (193)  Spanish (3)  Swedish (1)  Dutch (1)  Finnish (1)  Danish (1)  Portuguese (1)  Piratical (1)  All (202)
Agatha Christie got me on this one. I was puzzling which of these characters committed this murder right to the reveal and the culprit was completely off my radar. The device for how she pulled this off was ingenious who would ever suspect Dr. Watson in a Sherlock Holmes tale? He would be the one character above suspicion

A fun read that encourages me to work a Christie novel in now and again. There are many I have never read.
  phantomswife | Jul 6, 2018 |
Excerpt from my original GR review (Jun 2010):
- Poirot is so clearly the model, or a model, for Peter Seller's Inspector Clouseau. I'm sorry I've only now gotten to this. Monsieur Poirot would never be called modest, would he? Christie's story surprisingly reads fresh, no trippy British dialect. Good pace. The "out" presented to the murderer at the end isn't very satisfying though. ( )
  ThoughtPolice | May 21, 2018 |
Mientras leía el libro pensaba en darle tres estrellas porque, en comparación con otros libros de la misma autora, la chispa y el interés eran muy bajos. Pero, cuando devoraba las últimas 50 páginas del libro, ese interés e incertidumbre crecieron considerablemente y la resolución del caso fue como una estocada al corazón (en el buen sentido).

Debo decir que esa resolución, ese final, han dado un empujón al libro y es que seamos honestos, todo aquel que lee un libro de Christie espera un final sorprendente… y nuevamente la señora ha dado en el clavo. ( )
  JorgeLC | Apr 28, 2018 |
Roger Ackroyd is found murdered in his study and Hercule Poirot gets to exercise all his grey cells to find the killer. This one has a truly original murderer-reveal (or did at its publication - it's possible others have attempted the same now) and I am impressed with how Christie pulls off the subterfuge. I already knew who the killer would turn out to be, so I wasn't on tenterhooks, but I did pick it up to see the mechanics of how she did it. ( )
  -Eva- | Apr 17, 2018 |
I can't lie, this month I've been in such a reading slump. Everything I picked out to read all of a sudden seemed uninteresting. As I plowed my way through another Poirot adventure I released that I was enjoying this mystery more and more. The book kept me guessing until the very end when the murderer was finally revealed. Oh that Ms. Christie, she really did have such a way with murder mystery stories. I look forward to my next Poirot mystery, although who knows when I'll read the next one! ( )
1 vote IntrovertedBooks | Mar 26, 2018 |

Vance, BruceNotes and Questionssecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vuerhard, L.M.A.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Zakrzewski, JanTł.secondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Is contained in

Masterpieces of Murder: The Murder of Roger Ackroyd, And Then There Were None, Witness for the Prosecution, Death on the Nile by Agatha Christie

Five Classic Murder Mysteries: The Secret Adversary, The Murder of Roger Ackroyd, The Boomerang Clue, The Moving Finger, Death Comes as the End by Agatha Christie

Four great detective novels by Agatha Christie

Poirot: The Perfect Murders: The Murder of Roger Ackroyd, Murder on the Orient Express, Murder in the News, Hercule Poirot's Christmas by Agatha Christie

More Stories to Remember [Volume IV] by Thomas B. Costain

Agatha Christie Crime Collection: Murder of Roger Ackroyd, They Do It With Mirrors, Mrs. McGinty's Dead by Agatha Christie

Christie Classics: And Then There Were None, The Murder of Roger Ackroyd, Philomel Cottage, The Witness for the Prosecution by Agatha Christie

The Murder of Roger Ackroyd / The Mysterious Affair at Styles / A Murder Is Announced by Agatha Christie

1920s Agatha Christie, Vol. 3: The Murder of Roger Ackroyd, The Big Four, The Mystery of the Blue Train by Agatha Christie

A Poirot Quintet: The Murder of Roger Ackroyd / The Mystery of the Blue Train / Dumb Witness / After the Funeral / Death on the Nile by Agatha Christie

The Murder of Roger Ackroyd [and] Sparkling Cyanide by Agatha Christie

The Murder of Roger Ackroyd [and] Death in the Clouds by Agatha Christie

Murders to Die For by Agatha Christie

The Secret of Chimneys [and] The Murder of Roger Ackroyd by Agatha Christie

The Murder of Roger Ackroyd [and] Murder on the Orient Express by Agatha Christie

The Murder of Roger Ackroyd / Murder on the Orient Express / Thirteen at Dinner by Agatha Christie

The Murder of Roger Ackroyd / One, Two, Buckle My Shoe / Postern of Fate by Agatha Christie

The Murder of Roger Ackroyd [and] The Faceless Enemy by Agatha Christie

The Fourth Man / The Murder of Roger Ackroyd / SOS / Crooked House / Strange Jest by Agatha Christie

The Murder of Roger Ackroyd [and] Lord Edgware Dies by Agatha Christie

Murder by the Box: "The Murder of Roger Ackroyd", "Murder in the Mews", "Sleeping Murder", "A Murder is Announced" No. 2: Four Classic Murder Mysteries by Agatha Christie

Murder on the Orient Express / Death on the Nile / The Mirror Cracked / The Murder of Roger Ackroyd (Agatha Christie Boxed Set) by Agatha Christie

The Murder of Roger Ackroyd. Murder on the Orient Express [In Russian Language] Ten Little Niggers. At Bertram's Hotel. Pieces by Agatha Christie

The Murder of Roger Ackroyd / Appointment With Death / The Moving Finger by Agatha Christie

The World's Favourite by Agatha Christie

Murder on the Orient Express and Other Hercule Poirot Mysteries (Barnes & Noble Collectible Editions) by Agatha Christie

The Murder of Roger Ackroyd [and] A Murder Is Announced by Agatha Christie

Has the adaptation

Has as a commentary on the text

Alibi ( [1931]IMDb)
To Punkie, who likes an orthodox detective story, murder, inquest, and suspicion falling on everyone in turn!
Mrs Ferrars died on the night of the 16th-17th September—a Thursday.
Never worry about what you say to a man. They're so conceited that they never believe you mean it if it's unflattering.
This is the main work for The Murder of Roger Ackroyd by Agatha Christie. Please note that the German title is Alibi.
PLEASE DO NOT Combine this entry as it belongs to neither "The Murder of Roger Ackroyd" nor "The Man in the Brown Suit".
This entry's title reflects the entry belongs to "The Murder of Roger Ackroyd" ; whereas, member's uploaded cover and ISBN 0014730022 actually belongs to "The Man in the Brown Suit".
The actual book or the comic/graphic adaption???

AR level 6.3, 11 pts.
Murder most cunning
All matter of perspective
Little gray cells win
(hardboiled)
Retirement doesn't
have to be dull, Poirot finds.
Exercise the mind!
(passion4reading)
Suicide, blackmail,
murder – Hercule Poirot solves
a puzzling case.
(passion4reading)

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0425200477, Mass Market Paperback)

In the quiet village of King's Abbot a widow's suicide has stirred suspicion - and dreadful gossip. There are rumors she murdered her first husband, rumors she was being blackmailed, and rumors that her secret lover was Roger Ackroyd. Then Ackroyd is found murdered - and all the members of the household stand to gain from his death. Hercule Poirot, who has retired to King's Abbot, is reluctantly drawn into finding a clever and devious killer.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:12 -0400)

A widow's sudden suicide sparks rumors that she murdered her first husband, was being blackmailed, and was carrying on a secrey affair with the wealthy Roger Ackroyd. The following evening, Ackroyd is murdered in his locked study, but not before receiving a letter identifying the widow's blackmailer. Kings Abbot is crawling with suspects and it's up to famous detective, Hercule Poirot, to solve the case.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,233,605 books! | Top bar: Always visible