The Rising by Brian Keene

The Rising

by Brian Keene

Dead City by Joe McKinney (jseger9000)
    jseger9000: Another zombie apocalypse, on a smaller scale, with zombies that behave more like the ones from George Romero's zombie movies.
    Primitive by J. F. Gonzalez (Scottneumann)
    Ravage by Iain Rob Wright (Scottneumann)
    Savage by Iain Rob Wright (Scottneumann)
    Dead of Night by Jonathan Maberry (Scottneumann)
    Zombies and Shit by Carlton Mellick III (Scottneumann)
    Cell by Stephen King (crazybatcow)
    crazybatcow: The Cell has a very similar concept but is much better written, with a better ending and more believable characterizations.
    The Dead by Mark E. Rogers (yoyogod)
    yoyogod: Another great zombie novel.
    Dying to Live by Kim Paffenroth (MJ_Crow)

Though I feel the writing could be better, this is a revised, edited edition and not only did Keene bring a devastating and frightening twist to the Zombie mythos, he wrote the worst-case, bleakest spin. The ending…though I don’t entirely agree with it, in many ways it’s perfect. Not a read if you’re looking to be cheerful. ( )
  SharonMariaBidwell | Jan 14, 2019 |
REVIEWED: The Rising (author’s preferred edition/ uncut)
WRITTEN BY: Brian Keene
PUBLISHED: September, 2013 (first published March, 2003)

Simply put, this is a zombie book. More than that though, it’s an adventure thriller and a classic in the resurgence of undead in popular culture. To underscore this point, as I read ‘The Rising’ I thought, “Gee, yet another linear zombie story. Main character searches for his son, meets motley survivors, and crosses lots with paramilitary groups, all the while blowing away killer zombies.” But as I thought this it also dawned on me that Brian Keene was one of the first authors to write this type of action zombie story, and the reason it seems so formulaic and familiar is because there have been a horde (pun!) of writers who have copied this idea and wrote their own zombie apocalypse tales, inspired by the likes of Keene. Besides books, Keene’s influence is also found in video games, comics, movies, and other media.

The edition of this review is the ‘extended cut,’ i.e. the author’s preferred edition, published ten years after the original, in which Keene returns about 35,000 words cut from the debut. The story is a page-turner and follows the paths of several different characters as their lives intersect in the quest for survival. Some of the main characters seemed rather flat (Jim and Frankie), while I found myself relating and rooting for more of the lesser/ secondary characters (Baker and Skip).

The one unique element in this book which is not usually seen is that these zombies (Potential PLOT SPOILER) are actually host bodies for demons, and so retain consciousness and can perform normal human activity such as driving cars, opening doors, and fire rocket launchers. In addition to human zombies, the survivors must contend with animal zombies, which adds a whole new layer of fear, fighting off zombie rats, birds, and lions.

The Rising promises on zombie battle and delivers on that promise wholeheartedly. Overall, it’s an exciting read, filled with violence, gore, and many, many surprises.

Four out of Five stars
  Eric_J._Guignard | Jul 26, 2018 |
My original The Rising audiobook review and many others can be found at Audiobook Reviewer.

The Rising by Brian Keene is a horrifying, nightmare inducing listen! (When I read it in book form I thought that was scary enough but now, listening to it as an audiobook I know better!)

Jim Thurmond was a prepper who prepared an underground bunker for when the end of the world came along. Little did he know he’d need it but not for the reasons he believed. There are just some things a father and a husband should never have to do, ... except, unfortunately, Jim. Contemplating suicide after having removed his pregnant and now dead wife from his bunker, Jim receives a call from his son – his son who needs him. Jim must now traverse through hundreds of miles of zombies of all kinds, maniac men who believe they are in charge and try to rescue his son. With the aid a few good people he encounters along the way he sets out to rescue his son. Will he be in time?

Brian Keene is the master of horror. His books are terrifying as they demonstrate time and again how no one is in control, chaos truly does rule. Keene is detailed and his imagery is perfect instilling complete and total fear.

Joe Hempel, the narrator did an excellent job of performing the book. His talent shines through as he voices the wide range of emotions each person experiences from fear to desperation to psychotic. Hempel excelled at providing this already terrifying book with more horror as he captured the emotions perfectly. Well done!

If you love horror – these two – Keene and Hempel are an excellent pair!

There were no issues with the audiobook or the quality of the production.

Audiobook was purchased for review by ABR. ( )
  audiobibliophile | Sep 7, 2017 |
Well, I didn't hate it but I didn't love it. It wasn't what I was expecting at all. Not your typical zombies. I'm not happy about the cliffhanger at all. Gotta read the next one. I have to know if Danny is alive!!!! Probably not since nothing ends well in this book. ( )
  LenaR0307 | May 30, 2016 |
This was pretty horrific. The characters were very stock - the hooker, the preacher, the father, and so on but the action more than made up for that. This book taught me a valuable lesson: if the zombie apocalypse ever comes, stay the hell away from the military. ( )
  sweetzombieducky | Nov 28, 2015 |

Keene, Brianprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Clark, Alan M.Cover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For David. Daddy loves you more than infinity...
The dead scrabbled for an entrance to his grave.

The dead have risen.
In a bunker, a phone rings.
Daddy's coming, son.
(yoyogod)

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0843952016, Mass Market Paperback)

The dead are returning to life as intelligent zombies. Trapped by the undead, escape seems impossible for Jim Thurmond. But Jim-s young son is alive and in dire peril hundreds of miles away. Despite overwhelming odds, Jim vows to find him- or die trying.Joined by an elderly preacher, a guilt-ridden scientist, and a determined ex-prostitute, Jim embarks on a cross-country rescue mission. They must battle both the living and the living dead. And for Jim and his companions, an even greater evil awaits them at the end of their journey. This is the time of...The Rising. --This text refers to an out of print or unavailable edition of this title.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:59 -0400)

The dead are returning to life as intelligent zombies. Trapped by the undead, escape seems impossible for Jim Thurmond. But Jim's young son is alive and in dire peril hundreds of miles away. Despite overwhelming odds, Jim vows to find him -- or die trying. Joined by an elderly preacher, a guilt-ridden scientist, and a determined ex-prostitute, Jim embarks on a cross-country rescue mission. They must battle both the living and the living dead. And for Jim and his companions, an even greater evil awaits them at the end of their journey. This is the time of...The Rising.… (more)

Brian Keene is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,201,980 books! | Top bar: Always visible