The Rising by Brian Keene

The Rising

by Brian Keene

Dead City by Joe McKinney (jseger9000)
    jseger9000: Another zombie apocalypse, on a smaller scale, with zombies that behave more like the ones from George Romero's zombie movies.
    Primitive by J. F. Gonzalez (Scottneumann)
    Ravage by Iain Rob Wright (Scottneumann)
    Savage by Iain Rob Wright (Scottneumann)
    Dead of Night by Jonathan Maberry (Scottneumann)
    Zombies and Shit by Carlton Mellick III (Scottneumann)
    Cell by Stephen King (crazybatcow)
    crazybatcow: The Cell has a very similar concept but is much better written, with a better ending and more believable characterizations.
    The Dead by Mark E. Rogers (yoyogod)
    yoyogod: Another great zombie novel.
    Dying to Live by Kim Paffenroth (MJ_Crow)

Well, I didn't hate it but I didn't love it. It wasn't what I was expecting at all. Not your typical zombies. I'm not happy about the cliffhanger at all. Gotta read the next one. I have to know if Danny is alive!!!! Probably not since nothing ends well in this book. ( )
  LenaR0307 | May 30, 2016 |
This was pretty horrific. The characters were very stock - the hooker, the preacher, the father, and so on but the action more than made up for that. This book taught me a valuable lesson: if the zombie apocalypse ever comes, stay the hell away from the military. ( )
  sweetzombieducky | Nov 28, 2015 |
I have to admit when it comes to zombies, I'm a bit of a Romero purest. I like them dumb and slow, and though I'm usually open to fresh new takes on old themes, I can't say I feel the same way about zombies specifically. Which is why I hesitate to even call this a zombie novel. I mean yes, they are walking corpses, but they can use tools, and drive cars...they can even talk! It's like calling a novel about a giant mutant killer bat a vampire novel because it's a blood-thirsty monster with fangs. Meh. Oh, and did I mention the zombie fish? And how it attempts to talk? Yes, really.

The story itself isn't bad, really. It follows various characters from different walks of life: A man on a journey to rescue his son, a preacher, a prostitute/drug addict overcoming her past, a scientist who fears he may be responsible for starting the "zombie" apocalypse, and a soldier fighting against the undead in a small militia. Most importantly, I actually enjoyed the stories of each of these characters, and it would be hard for me to pick a favorite, so the author had a lot of success in that department.

The ending is such a cliffhanger, however, that I can only wish the most horrid and unpleasant death imaginable upon the author and everyone he loves and cherishes. How can you do this to me!? Argh!

I guess I'll be reading book 2 now, won't I? Dammit. ( )
  Ape | Oct 24, 2014 |
This is Brian Keene's uncut typo corrected 2013 version from Deadite Press

I enjoyed the premise of this novel, “demons” that invade dead bodies and reanimate them due to and experiment that went awry. The story begins with a claustrophobic scene with Jim Thurmond struggling to escape from his bunker to go and save his son in a world that has his zombie ex-wife trying to dig in to get to him. Soon Thurmond is on his way cross-country to save his son and this is the driving force throughout the story. Jim meets many characters like the Preacher and the Whore, which adds an interesting flavor to the story. Many of the characters are fully developed while others are cardboard stereotypes (the insane colonel, the horny and abusive sergeant, the soldier with a conscience.)

Although there are some plot holes and some obvious contrived coincidences, it didn’t disrupt my reading; I still plowed on through eager to get to the ending eager to see what happens. Along the way Thurmond is involved in all sorts of interesting problems that delay his travels which did enhance the suspense. But…and I’ll get into that in a minute.

This ebook is bereft of errors and typos (I found maybe five). Some of the dialog was strained, but not as a whole. I rather enjoyed the “Here’s Johnny” type of humor that the demons used. It made it a bit creepier for me. Maybe it’s because every time I read a scene with that gallows humor I saw Jack Nicholson’s head stuck through the door in the Outlook Hotel. But that’s me. Your mileage may vary. The novel is obviously gory with zombies eating live humans but leaving them intact enough to re-animate and there are some clearly horrifying scenes that should thrill most zombie readers. “I’ll wear your intestines and feed them to you when you re-animate.”

But…and you already knew there was a but coming. Brian Keene blew the ending. The trick Mr. Keene pulls at the end is something that is not easy to do and do well and works best in a short story where a reader is not so invested in a resolving climax. He didn’t do it well and it didn’t work. I felt frustrated and rather…pissed. How could you build me up to a resolution to the plot and then just pull the chair out from under me?

Oddly, even though I was royally ticked off at the ending, I enjoyed the book. Had it ended properly (in my opinion) I would have given it 4 stars. As it stands, I’m giving it 3. I was tempted to give it 1 star just to show my displeasure, but the book really does deserve at least 3 stars.

I received an advance copy of this book in exchange for a fair review. The review is entirely my own and reflects only my opinion.
  DonCranford | Dec 3, 2013 |
The Rising was alright. The characters were very interesting and the plot was exciting. I really didn't like the end. Maybe it's because I don't read much horror, but I like an ending with a bit more hope. It doesn't have to be, "oh, all the zombies just died so we're going to be ok now, but I do like more characters to survive.

I'd recommend this book to anyone who enjoys zombie books. ( )
  ShannaRedwind | Mar 31, 2013 |

Keene, Brianprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Clark, Alan M.Cover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For David. Daddy loves you more than infinity...
The dead scrabbled for an entrance to his grave.

The dead have risen.
In a bunker, a phone rings.
Daddy's coming, son.
(yoyogod)

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0843952016, Mass Market Paperback)

The dead are returning to life as intelligent zombies. Trapped by the undead, escape seems impossible for Jim Thurmond. But Jim-s young son is alive and in dire peril hundreds of miles away. Despite overwhelming odds, Jim vows to find him- or die trying.Joined by an elderly preacher, a guilt-ridden scientist, and a determined ex-prostitute, Jim embarks on a cross-country rescue mission. They must battle both the living and the living dead. And for Jim and his companions, an even greater evil awaits them at the end of their journey. This is the time of...The Rising. --This text refers to an out of print or unavailable edition of this title.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:59 -0400)

Brian Keene is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,101,309 books! | Top bar: Always visible