Childhood's End by Arthur C. Clarke

Childhood's End (1953)

by Arthur C. Clarke

Nightfall by Isaac Asimov (weener)
    Lilith's brood by Octavia E. Butler (Medellia)
    The Sentinel by Arthur C. Clarke (Cecrow)
    Cecrow: Contains the short story upon which Childhood's End is based.
    Cosmic Consciousness: A Study in the Evolution of the Human Mind by Richard Maurice Bucke (bertilak)
    More Than Human by Theodore Sturgeon (rickyrickyricky)
    rickyrickyricky: Similar philosophy, stronger writing, & less dated by mid-century sci-fi cliches and ignorance.

English (103)  Spanish (2)  Danish (1)  French (1)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (108)
Childhood's End is a story about super-advanced aliens showing up in the skies of modern day earth (well, 1950's earth, when the book was written), and using coercive but non-violent methods to impose what are mostly humanity's own morals upon the population. Clarke keeps the reader in suspense, as little is revealed about the nature or ultimate aims of these aliens until the very end. It's quite a surprise that, when finally allowed to see the larger picture, these aliens turn out to be the only mundane species in the universe. I didn't really find this story or its characters to be particularly realistic or compelling, and I'm not sure if the ending is supposed to be inspiring, but it kind of fell flat. ( )
  Phrim | Nov 6, 2014 |
An enjoyable story of humanity's colonisation from space, full of philosophical ideas but grounded in the Cold War paranoia of the 1950s. Like all historical visions of the near future it has largely been overtaken by events, but is still an impressively realised feat of imagination. ( )
  bodachliath | Nov 4, 2014 |
This was a really awe-inspiring book. I'm so glad I read it. ( )
  PaulDW | Oct 14, 2014 |
I found this book amazing, especially considering it was written in 1953. Science fiction at its' finest. ( )
  Dianekeenoy | Sep 24, 2014 |
As many others have already said, I think this may very well be Clarke's best novel. I recently read 2001 and it's a neck-and-neck tie, for sure. I'll have to revisit his others to get some perspective. I think Rendezvous with Rama needs to come back through my queue soon.

Anyway, there's a hell of a lot to think about from this book and perhaps one of the best parts is how well it stands up after being published nearly 60 years ago. Very little sci-fi can hold up to that sort of age, unfortunately, but I found that Clarke carefully avoided so many of the common trappings of technology and future visions of civilization that often give older sci-fi such an aged feeling. ( )
  tlockney | Sep 7, 2014 |
I'm not sure Childhood's End is the first book my dad gave me, but it was one of the first, and it's certainly the one I remember most vividly. And it's probably a book that changed my life.
added by paradoxosalpha | editDaily Kos, DOM9000 (Jul 8, 2011)

Arthur C. Clarkeprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Sawyer, Robert J.Narratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schjelderup, DaisyTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stevenson, DavidCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Summerer, Eric MichaelNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Information from the Norwegian Common Knowledge. Edit to localize it to the English one.
The opinions expressed in this book are not those of the author.
The volcano that had reared Taratua up from the Pacific depths had been sleeping now for half a million years. (Original)
Before she flew to the launch site, Helena Lyakhov always went through the same ritual.  (1989 Updated Version)
This was the moment when history held its breath, and the present sheared asunder from the past as an iceberg splits from its parent cliffs, and goes sailing out to sea in lonely pride. All that the past ages had achieved was as nothing now; only one thought echoed and re-echoed through Mohan's brain: The human race was no longer alone.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0345347951, Mass Market Paperback)

Without warning, giant silver ships from deep space appear in the skies above every major city on Earth. Manned by the Overlords, in fifty years, they eliminate ignorance, disease, and poverty. Then this golden age ends--and then the age of Mankind begins....

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:46:01 -0400)

The author questions the survival of mankind in this science fiction tale about Overlords from outer space who dominate the world.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,939,920 books! | Top bar: Always visible