44 Scotland Street by Alexander McCall Smith

44 Scotland Street

by Alexander McCall Smith

Other authors: Iain McIntosh (Illustrator)

Series: 44 Scotland Street (1)

Tales of the City by Armistead Maupin (cransell, Jannes)
    Jannes: Tales of the City was the main inspiration for McCall Smith when he decided to write Scotland Street. The two books have a lot in common, including the episodic format, the light-hearted tone, and the premise of a house and it's tenants.
    The Imperfectionists by Tom Rachman (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: These character-driven novels use vignettes and ensemble casts to explore multiple plots and the relationships between characters. 44 Scotland Street is both comical and upbeat, while The Imperfectionists is more nuanced, complex, and thoughtful.… (more)
    Notwithstanding by Louis De Bernières (jayne_charles)

English (93)  French (1)  All (94)
A relaxing and fun read. I enjoy looking up the artist, places, wines, and even streets in Edinburgh the author mentions as the story progresses. ( )
  jack2410 | Feb 2, 2017 |
I'm giving this 4 stars just because it's unique. This was a serial in the Scotsman in 2004 ; one chapter was published daily for 6 months. I just felt that some of the characters were too hokey (not real). Most of the characters in this book live in an apartment house on Scotland Street , thus the name. This book will not make my top 100 favorite books; however, I am glad I read it for our book club. It will be a great discussion book. ( )
  travelgal | Jan 3, 2017 |
I've tried reading other books by this author and didn't like them. Thought it was worth a try for a different series as well as it being a book for book club.
No better results - I didn't like the writing style - choppy and seemingly flying around with no direction or plot. The characters didn't interest me - they were whiny and self-centered. I gave it 68 pages and 8 days of my reading and finally said no more. ( )
  cyderry | Dec 15, 2016 |
The chapters were too short, it didn't go deep enough, and it was frankly boring. The only reason I finished this was because I hate quitting in the middle of something. ( )
  zombiehero | Mar 25, 2016 |
boring little book, so far. Gave up on finishing it. ( )
  Phyllis.Mann | Jul 13, 2015 |

Alexander McCall Smithprimary authorall editionscalculated
McIntosh, IainIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
This is for Lucinda Mackay
Pat stood before the door at the bottom of the stairs, reading the names underneath the buttons.

After her first gap year ends in disaster, Pat decides to start afresh. She finds employment at a local art gallery, and moves into a flat at 44 Scotland Street – an intriguing building full of intriguing people. There's Domenica Macdonald, the slightly eccentric anthropologist across the hall. There's Irene Pollock, whose five-year-old son Bertie is a victim of her fascination with psychoanalysis. Then there's Bruce, Pat's roommate – an intolerable, self-absorbed, arrogant narcissist who Pat most certainly does not have feelings for. Well . . . not really.

1st in a new series by the author of the No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency. This series is set in an apartment building in Edinburgh, Scotland and has its share of eccentrics and failures. Dry, funny, hugely entertaining stories based in the author's hometown.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:38 -0400)

Pat rents a room from the handsome and cocky Bruce, at 44 Scotland Street, and discovers that she has also acquired some colorful new neighbors, including Domenica, an eccentric widow.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,250,220 books! | Top bar: Always visible