44 Scotland Street by Alexander McCall Smith

44 Scotland Street

by Alexander McCall Smith

Other authors: Iain McIntosh (Illustrator)

Series: 44 Scotland Street (1)

Tales of the City by Armistead Maupin (cransell, Jannes)
    Jannes: Tales of the City was the main inspiration for McCall Smith when he decided to write Scotland Street. The two books have a lot in common, including the episodic format, the light-hearted tone, and the premise of a house and it's tenants.
    Notwithstanding by Louis de Bernières (jayne_charles)

cute, easy to read, a good balance of nonsensical entertainment and words/phrases/references that I had to look up to negate my feelings of not be intelligent enough. ;-) ( )
  AAM_mommy | Jun 2, 2014 |
Slow going.....I like the #1 Detective series better. ( )
  Lissa28 | May 29, 2014 |
A delightful book! Smith writes short, quickly read chapters about the people who live in a building on Scotland St. in Edinburgh. The characters are varied and interesting, from self-absorbed Bruce to 5-year old Bertie and his parents. The book was originally published in daily installments in a news paper. There are 2 other books that follow this one. ( )
  hobbitprincess | May 14, 2014 |
This is the first book that I've read by this author so I don't know if all of his books have a similar writing style. It was a little different but I liked it. This was more like a book of entwined short stories (this could be due to the fact that it's origin was as a serialized story in a Scottish newspaper).

We follow four multi-generational people who live in the building at 44 Scotland Street in Edinburgh. There is a young boy, a young woman in her gap year, a narcisstic man, and an enigmatic elderly woman. I've read one review where the reviewer complained that the characters were not developed but I thought quite the opposite. The author slowly reviews the depths of each character through their interactions with the various characters they meet and interact with throughout the story.

It's a fun, light, quirky read and I'm glad I picked it up to read.
  jsamaha | Mar 14, 2014 |
inspired by Armisted Maupin but in Edinburgh. Different and very entertaining. I loved the characters. 3.5 stars ( )
  njcur | Feb 13, 2014 |

Alexander McCall Smithprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
McIntosh, IainIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
This is for Lucinda Mackay
Pat stood before the door at the bottom of the stairs, reading the names underneath the buttons.

After her first gap year ends in disaster, Pat decides to start afresh. She finds employment at a local art gallery, and moves into a flat at 44 Scotland Street – an intriguing building full of intriguing people. There's Domenica Macdonald, the slightly eccentric anthropologist across the hall. There's Irene Pollock, whose five-year-old son Bertie is a victim of her fascination with psychoanalysis. Then there's Bruce, Pat's roommate – an intolerable, self-absorbed, arrogant narcissist who Pat most certainly does not have feelings for. Well . . . not really.

1st in a new series by the author of the No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency. This series is set in an apartment building in Edinburgh, Scotland and has its share of eccentrics and failures. Dry, funny, hugely entertaining stories based in the author's hometown.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:56:16 -0400)

Pat rents a room from the handsome and cocky Bruce, at 44 Scotland Street, and discovers that she has also acquired some colorful new neighbors, including Domenica, an eccentric widow.

Four editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,609,241 books! | Top bar: Always visible