HomeGroupsTalkZeitgeist
Hide this

Results from Google Books

Click on a thumbnail to go to Google Books.

The New York Trilogy by Paul Auster
Loading...

The New York Trilogy (1987)

by Paul Auster

Other authors: See the other authors section.

Series: The New York Trilogy (omnibus)

MembersReviewsPopularityAverage ratingMentions
7,342121480 (3.88)345
  1. 92
    The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle by Haruki Murakami (alzo)
  2. 21
    The Book of Illusions by Paul Auster (caflores)
  3. 32
    Invisible by Paul Auster (ccf)
  4. 10
    Enormous Changes at the Last Minute: Stories by Grace Paley (claudiamesc)
    claudiamesc: E' stato anche tradotto in italiano: freschi, diretti, energici racconti ambientati a New York... per chi non si è entusiasmato con Auster, ma vuole farsi altri due passi in città.
  5. 01
    The City & The City by China Miéville (Longshanks)
    Longshanks: Two books that expand the scope of detective fiction beyond the genre's traditional concerns and constraints, one existentially and one sociopolitically.
Loading...

Sign up for LibraryThing to find out whether you'll like this book.

No current Talk conversations about this book.

» See also 345 mentions

English (94)  Spanish (10)  Italian (5)  Dutch (4)  French (3)  Portuguese (1)  German (1)  Catalan (1)  Hebrew (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (121)
Showing 1-5 of 94 (next | show all)
Mah! ( )
  cloentrelibros | Aug 23, 2016 |
თითქოს მისტერიაა და არც არის მისტერია, კვანძების გ​ახსნას და გასაღებების აღმოჩენას ამაოდ ელი, მაგრამ ​ეს სულაც არაა მათავარი, მთავარი უფრო განწყობა და ი​ს გარემოა რასაც ავტორი ქმნის. მთავარი პერსონაჟების​ შინაგანი სამყაროა, მათი სევდა, მათი მცდელობა გაიგ​
სამივე ნოველა კარგია, ნიუ იორკის სურნელით, თითქოს ​ჩვეულებრივი მაგრამ უცნაური დაუმთავრებელი ამბებით. ​
საინტერესოა თავად ავტორის გამოჩენა პერსონაჟებში, ჰ​ენრი დარკის ამბავი და პიტერ სტილმენის საქმიანობა. ​დონ კიხოტის ოსტერისეული ინტერპრეტაცია, საინტერესოა​ ბლექის და ფენშოუს მიზნები. ​
საინტერესოა საერთოდ სად არის სინამდვილე და სად ფიქ​
ნიუ იორკული ტრილოგია, ცოტა განსხვავებული, ცოტა მის​ტერიული, ცოტა უცნაური და ბევრად სასიამოვნო წასაკით​ ( )
1 vote Misha.Kaulashvili | Aug 22, 2016 |
This was not like any other book I have ever read. I feel like I can appreciate the writing and how strangely incorporated the three stories were. But it ultimately gave me a headache with the cross-references and how there was almost a break in the fourth wall. All in all, a very interesting read, but not something I would have picked up without some motivation (a book club book). ( )
  Ahtoosa | Aug 3, 2016 |
um... clever but ultimately not that enjoyable... ( )
  jkdavies | Jun 14, 2016 |
Hmm - either I just didn't get this book or it's a good example of the Emperor's New Clothes.

I liked some of the themes of language and identity but I felt the characters' reactions to certain situations quite unbelievable.

How disfunctional does a person have to be to loose their sense of identity? Maybe it's a symptom of life in a metropolis - that I can never hope to understand.
At best I felt some vague concern for the characters, at worst I thought they were pathetic.
There were intriguing attempts to tie the 3 stories together but not enough to redeem the whole book.

An interesting book - thought provoking enough but I can't really say I enjoyed it.
It left me feeling somewhat dissatisfied. ( )
  Laurochka | Feb 6, 2016 |
Showing 1-5 of 94 (next | show all)
Una llamada telefónica equivocada introduce a un escritor de novelas policiacas en una extraña historia de complejas relaciones paternofiliales y locura; un detective sigue a un hombre por un claustrofóbico universo urbano; la misteriosa desaparición de un amigo de la infancia confronta a un hombre con sus recuerdos. Tres novelas que proponen una relectura posmoderna del género policiaco y que supusieron la revelación de uno de los más interesantes novelistas de nuestro tiempo.
added by Pakoniet | editLecturalia
 

» Add other authors (62 possible)

Author nameRoleType of authorWork?Status
Paul Austerprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Frank, Joachim A.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Jääskeläinen, JukkaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sante, LucIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sirola, JukkaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Spiegelman, ArtCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
You must log in to edit Common Knowledge data.
For more help see the Common Knowledge help page.
Series (with order)
Canonical title
Original title
Alternative titles
Original publication date
People/Characters
Important places
Important events
Related movies
Awards and honors
Epigraph
Dedication
Information from the Portuguese (Portugal) Common Knowledge. Edit to localize it to your language.
Da Alexandra
First words
It was a wrong number that started it, the telephone ringing three times in the dead of night, and the voice on the other end asking for someone he was not.
Quotations
"For our words no longer correspond to the world. When things were whole, we felt confident that our words could express them. But little by little these things have broken apart, shattered, collapsed into chaos. And yet our words have remained the same. They have not adapted themselves to the new reality. Hence, every time we try to speak of what we see, we speak falsely, distorting the very thing we are trying to represent."
Last words
Information from the Dutch Common Knowledge. Edit to localize it to your language.
(Click to show. Warning: May contain spoilers.)
Disambiguation notice
Publisher's editors
Blurbers
Publisher series
Original language
Information from the Spanish Common Knowledge. Edit to localize it to your language.

References to this work on external resources.

Wikipedia in English

None

Book description
Haiku summary

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0143039830, Paperback)

Paul Auster's signature work, The New York Trilogy, consists of three interlocking novels: City of Glass, Ghosts, and The Locked Room—haunting and mysterious tales that move at the breathless pace of a thriller.

City of Glass

As a result of a strange phone call in the middle of the night, Quinn, a writer of detective stories, becomes enmeshed in a case more puzzling than any he might hace written

Ghosts

Blue, a student of Brown, has been hired to spy on Black. From a window of a rented house on Orange street, Blue stalks his subject, who is staring out of his window

The Locked Room

Fanshawe has disappeared, leaving behind his wife and baby and a cache of novels, plays, and poems. What happened?

First time in Penguin Classics A Penguin Classics Deluxe Edition with French flaps, rough front, and luxurious packaging Features an introduction from Luc Sante and incredible cover illustrations by Pulitzer Prize-winning graphic artist Art Spiegelman, creator of Maus and In the Shadow of No Towers

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:07 -0400)

(see all 4 descriptions)

City of glass: A writer of a detective stories becomes embroiled in a complex and puzzling series of events, beginning with a call from a stranger in the middle of the night asking for the author. Ghosts: Introduces Blue, a private detective hired to watch a man named Black, who, as he becomes intermeshed into a haunting and claustrophobic game of hide-and-seek is lured into the very trap he created. The locked room: The nameless hero journeys into the unknown as he attempts to reconstruct the past which he has experienced almost as a dream.… (more)

» see all 3 descriptions

Quick Links

Swap Ebooks Audio
32 avail.
207 wanted
9 pay8 pay

Popular covers

Rating

Average: (3.88)
0.5 4
1 34
1.5 8
2 93
2.5 33
3 369
3.5 131
4 676
4.5 91
5 521

Audible.com

3 editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

See editions

Is this you?

Become a LibraryThing Author.

 

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,185,507 books! | Top bar: Always visible