Have you checked out SantaThing, LibraryThing's gift-giving tradition?
dismiss

The New York Trilogy

by Paul Auster

Series: The New York Trilogy (omnibus)

The New York Trilogy is perhaps the most astonishing work by one of America's most consistently astonishing writers. The Trilogy is three cleverly interconnected novels that exploit the elements of standard detective fiction and achieve a new genre that is all the more gripping for its starkness. It is a riveting work of detective fiction worthy of Raymond Chandler, and at the same time a profound and unsettling existentialist enquiry in the tradition of Kafka or Borges. In each story the search for clues leads to remarkable coincidences in the universe as the simple act of trailing a man ultimately becomes a startling investigation of what it means to be human. The New York Trilogy is the modern novel at its finest: a truly bold and arresting work of fiction with something to transfix and astound every reader. 'Marks a new departure for the American novel.' Observer 'A shatteringly clever piece of work . . . Utterly gripping, written with an acid sharpness that leaves an indelible dent in the back of the mind.' Sunday Telegraph 'The New York Trilogy established him as the only author one could compare to Samuel Beckett.' Guardian… (more)
    The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle by Haruki Murakami (alzo)
    The Book of Illusions by Paul Auster (caflores)
    Invisible by Paul Auster (ccf)
    Enormous Changes at the Last Minute: Stories by Grace Paley (claudiamesc)
    claudiamesc: E' stato anche tradotto in italiano: freschi, diretti, energici racconti ambientati a New York... per chi non si è entusiasmato con Auster, ma vuole farsi altri due passi in città.
    The City & The City by China Miéville (Longshanks)
    Longshanks: Two books that expand the scope of detective fiction beyond the genre's traditional concerns and constraints, one existentially and one sociopolitically.

English (112)  Spanish (10)  Italian (7)  Dutch (4)  French (4)  Portuguese (1)  German (1)  Danish (1)  Hebrew (1)  Catalan (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (143)
Paul Auster’s signature work, The New York Trilogy, consists of three interlocking novels: City of Glass, Ghosts, and The Locked Room—haunting and mysterious tales that move at the breathless pace of a thriller.
  Centre_A | Nov 27, 2020 |
As one of the characters says: "'It is a good story, even if I do not understand it.'" ( )
  oatleyr | Aug 22, 2020 |
Absolutely fascinating. ( )
  melosomelo | Jul 28, 2020 |
Due to the comment of Joakim, below, I will, at the risk of boring those who already know, note yet again that I am removing my books from goodreads because it is Amazon now. This is the reason (and only reason)for the existence of my blog and nobody, incidentally, in the entire history of blog promoting could have done less to 'promote' theirs. I like writing. If somebody out there wants to read the end result, by all mean do.

I was standing in a bookshop today thinking I hate book reviews. I mean, really. Hate.

Let me give you an example.

'A dazzling achievement.' Time Out
'Marks as a new departure for the American novel.' Observer
Seductive metaphysical....' Literary Review
'Written with an acid sharpness' Sunday Telegraph

So, please let me give you an example of the dazzling metaphysical sharpness of this new departure for the American novel:

Find the review here now:

------------------------
  bringbackbooks | Jun 16, 2020 |

Let me give you an example.

'A dazzling achievement.' Time Out
'Marks as a new departure for the American novel.' Observer
Seductive metaphysical....' Literary Review
'Written with an acid sharpness' Sunday Telegraph

Find the review here now:

------------------------
  bringbackbooks | Jun 16, 2020 |
Una llamada telefónica equivocada introduce a un escritor de novelas policiacas en una extraña historia de complejas relaciones paternofiliales y locura; un detective sigue a un hombre por un claustrofóbico universo urbano; la misteriosa desaparición de un amigo de la infancia confronta a un hombre con sus recuerdos. Tres novelas que proponen una relectura posmoderna del género policiaco y que supusieron la revelación de uno de los más interesantes novelistas de nuestro tiempo.
added by Pakoniet | editLecturalia

Sante, LucIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sellent Arús, JoanTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sirola, JukkaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Spiegelman, ArtCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
It was a wrong number that started it, the telephone ringing three times in the dead of night, and the voice on the other end asking for someone he was not.
"For our words no longer correspond to the world. When things were whole, we felt confident that our words could express them. But little by little these things have broken apart, shattered, collapsed into chaos. And yet our words have remained the same. They have not adapted themselves to the new reality. Hence, every time we try to speak of what we see, we speak falsely, distorting the very thing we are trying to represent."

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 152,610,946 books! | Top bar: Always visible