A Fractured Mind: My Life with Multiple…

A Fractured Mind: My Life with Multiple Personality Disorder

by Robert B. Oxnam

This book was utterly fascinating. I listened to the audiobook while commuting to grad school, and at first I didn't realize that it was narrated by the author---he's a fabulous reader! He could definitely be a professional audiobook voice actor ^_^ And why not? He's done about everything else!

One last thing: I'm amazed by Oxnam's courage in writing this book. Kudos to him and the other hims (and hers) within his psyche, especially since he is such a political and academic figure who had a lot to lose when his disorder came to the public.

I recommend this to anyone with an interest in psychiatric disorders, and, if possible, listen to the audiobook and hear the words in the author's own voices! ( )
  wispywillow | Aug 9, 2009 |
I have scored this book a bit low not beause of the content or the writing of this book, just that it was different from what I was hoping to read. I was looking for more of a take from another person with DID that had recovered and their stories and tips or things to do and consider, and it's not like that.

Instead of a guide it's just a tale of a person and his system dealing with Dissociative Identity Disorder (DID), or Multiple personality disorder (MPD) as it was formeraly labelled by psychological professionals. It was formatted as a biograophy of Robert and his alts in the system. It did raise questions and thoughts for myself and my system to consider that was eye opening. Not in a negative way or a positive one, just in a surprising way.

The book was an excellent and straight forward read. I was able to read this 300 page book in one day and makes notes of things to come back to, think on and process later.

I feel it's a must read for anyone with this disorder, living with someone with it or treating someone as the therapist. His psychiatrist's excerpts are mingled throughout the pages as he interacts with Robert's complete system through it's intergration and many changes. As well as writing a bit of a summary of Robert's case at the end of the book that was quite insightful and moving. ( )
  Pheonix | Jun 28, 2009 |
I picked up this book to add to my ever growing collection of first account stories of mental illness. The book is not difficult to read, but comes off as somewhat juvenile in content. Obviously, the author had to overcome great odds to even tell his complicated story so I would not hold it against him. Good story to add to the collection. ( )
  cbertz | May 7, 2009 |
One of the more interesting accounts of living with multiple personalities. The beginning of the book sounds a lot like a cure for insomnia -- the narrator takes a very non-emotional, clinical tone -- but it picks up and, as I said, is quite interesting and informative. ( )
  DianeS | May 24, 2008 |

The heartbreaking memoir of a prominent scholar's long journey to put the pieces of his fractured life together. In 1989, Oxnam, successful China scholar and president of the Asia Society, faced up to what he thought was his biggest personal challenge: alcoholism. But this dependency masked a problem far more serious: multiple personality disorder. At the peak of his professional career, Oxnam was haunted by periodic blackouts and episodic rages. After his family and friends intervened, Oxnam received help from a psychiatrist and entered a rehab center. It wasn't until six months later that the first of Oxnam's eleven alternate personalities--an angry young boy named Tommy--suddenly emerged. With the therapist's help, Oxnam began the exhausting and fascinating process of uncovering his many personalities and the childhood trauma that caused his condition.--From publisher description.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,338,432 books! | Top bar: Always visible