Jennie by Paul Gallico

Jennie (1950)

by Paul Gallico

Delightful story about a lonely boy who loves cats and finds himself turned into one. He rushes into the street after a tabby kitten and is hit by a car when the transformation happens. Unceremoniously thrown out of the house, Peter-now-the-cat must find his way in a terrifying new world where everything once familiar is now strange. Luckily he meets a very kind and street-wise female named Jennie who is quite skeptical of his story until she realizes he does not at all behave like a cat, and moreover can read and understand human speech. Jennie takes it upon herself to teach Peter how to survive as a stray and moreover, how to act and think like a cat- all the little skills and rules of conduct for his new life. They have quite a number of adventures, including time spent as ship's cats, and become very fond of each other, even though Peter longs for the comforts of his past life while Jennie cannot bring herself to trust human beings. This is a wonderful book I wish I'd encountered as a child but am very glad it stands up to my first reading it as an adult. I don't know which I liked more, the deep story of friendship and trust, or the wonderful details of being feline. The ending feels like a bit of a cop-out, but I dismissed that easily enough. I'd read it again.

It has also been published with the title Jennie.

from the Dogear Diary ( )
  jeane | Oct 24, 2017 |
One of the best books I have ever read. You feel that you are the boy and you feel his love for j
Jennie. Paul Gallico was an incredible author ( )
  Somerville66 | May 29, 2017 |
Started reading this book, which I'd liked as a child, to my daughter Rumer during pregnancy (after Watership Down). After a long hiatus, read the last few chapters to her in person during the last few hours of her life (aged three months). A fittingly heart-rending story, really sad; somewhat racist in places. ( )
  tinncan | Jan 10, 2016 |
Очень грустная история о мальчике, превратившемся в кота. Он подружился с кошкой Дженни, которая в конце умирает. ( )
  Olga_Alexey | Dec 16, 2013 |
The title of my copy is "The Abandoned"
  smorancie | Aug 30, 2013 |

Is contained in

Peter guessed that he must have been hurt in the accident though he could not remember very much from the time he had left the safety of Scotch nanny's side and run out across the street to get to the garden in the square, where the tabby striped kitten was warming herself by the railing and washing in the early spring sunshine.
Has been published under two different titles: "Jennie" and "The Abandoned"

When Peter, an eight-year-old London boy with neglectful parents and a distant nanny, is transformed into a cat after rescuing a stray, Jennie, from being hit by a car, Jennie takes care of him despite her contempt for humans.

NYRB Classics

An edition of this book was published by NYRB Classics.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,009,957 books! | Top bar: Always visible