Fledgling by Sharon Lee
4561933,946 (4.03)157
    Dragonsinger by Anne McCaffrey (timepiece)
    timepiece: Another novel in which a teenager discovers that her problems lie in her stifling environment, not in herself - and that there are people elsewhere who appreciate her talents and contributions.
    Fault Lines by Kelly Jennings (reconditereader)
    reconditereader: The Pirians in Fault Lines remind me of the Liadens, and the universes seem similar. Both are fun reads with female protagonists and plenty of action!
    God Stalk by P. C. Hodgell (SunnySD)
    The City Who Fought by Anne McCaffrey (SunnySD)

Theo Waitley is the adolescent daughter of Kamele Waitley, a professor at Delgado University. All her life, they've lived in the home of the man she calls Father, Professor Jen Sar Kiladi, her mother's onagrata. Suddenly Kamele moves herself and Theo back to The Wall, where most of the university faculty and staff live, and Theo's life changes dramatically, and not in ways she likes. It gets worse when her mother announces that she's making a trip offworld to investigate an academic scandal--and she's taking Theo with her.

Theo would much prefer to return to Professor Kiladi's home for the duration.

On the same offworld trip, Theo and Kamele have very different adventures that push them both to grow in new directions. Meanwhile, Jen Sar Kiladi is not having a quiet interlude, but rather tackling another part of the same scandal Kamele is pursuing.

This book is fun. Theo's enormously engaging, and Kamele, who seems off-putting at first, grows more and more likable as more and more of her is revealed to the reader. This is a find coming of age space adventure.

Recommended. ( )
  LisCarey | Sep 19, 2018 |
May 2018 reread:
I enjoyed this entry in the Liaden series even more now that I have read Mouse and Dragon. Plotwise, the two stories are completely separate but I had come to know more about one important character and Liaden culture which made me appreciate Theo's blossoming abilities more. ( )
  leslie.98 | May 6, 2018 |
I loved this book. I am going to search out others in the series. Theo is a great character. I was worried that this might be the classic coming of age novel, but it didn't feel that way at all. ( )
  kbartosh | Mar 27, 2018 |
This review is written with a GPL 3.0 license and the rights contained therein shall supersede all TOS by any and all websites in regards to copying and sharing without proper authorization and permissions. Crossposted at Bookstooge.booklikes.blogspot. wordpress.leafmarks.com & Bookstooge's Reviews on the Road Facebook Group by Bookstooge's Exalted Permission.
Title: Fledgling
Series: Liaden
Author: Sharon Lee & Steve Miller
Rating: of 5 Battle Axes
Genre: SFF
Pages: 528
Format: Kindle

Synopsis: Daav yos'Phelium is on Delgado in his Jen Sar Kiladi persona. And he's "married" with a 14 year old daughter.
This book is not about him. It is about Theo, his daughter. And the politic'ing on a world full of eggheads who have no grasp on reality. This is about Theo growing up into her, unknown to her, Liaden heritage and piloting skills inherited from Daav. My Thoughts: I accidentally started Ghost Ship before this, which is 2 or 3 books ahead of this. And it wasn't until I was at the 50% mark that I realized my mistake. Hence, a lot of what happened in this book was slightly referenced in Ghost Ship and I had pretty good idea of what was going to happen.
And I still enjoyed it. Not as much as the other Liaden books, as it is dealing with a 14 year old girl and the politics of scholars but it was still enjoyable. It was also good writing. I know it was good writing because it got me extremely frustrated, in several instances, at several of the characters and how they reacted. I am learning to enjoy moments like that because it shows that the authors know how to present a society, a character and their interaction. And that interaction isn't always smooth, happy or rational. By the end I was glad I had read this and was ready for more Theo Waitely, soon to be Pilot. " ( )
  BookstoogeLT | Dec 10, 2016 |
I got this and another book in the series free as ebooks from the Baen Books site. If you google it, I think it's still available. I was unimpressed by Agent of Change. It was readable with likable characters but seemed to me rather generic space opera romance. Plus, it annoyed me by ending on somewhat of an unfinished note. I was left feeling happy I hadn't paid for the book and thinking I sure wouldn't pay for more. But I still had Fledgling on my iPhone so I gave it a shot.
I liked this book much more, It made me feel, yes, I would look for more of this author, of this series, and it would be worth paying for. This isn't high-concept science fiction with mind-blowing ideas, no. But I loved Theo Waitley--this works as YA in a lot of ways even if not completely from her point of view. And the authors play with interesting ideas about safety versus freedom and gender roles. I'm very glad I gave this a read. ( )
  LisaMaria_C | Dec 10, 2015 |

Lee, SharonAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Miller, SteveAuthormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Pollack, AlanCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Russo, CarolCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stevens, EileenNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"Why do I have to go with her?" Theo demanded, and winced at the quaver in her voice.

Theo Waitley finds her life disrupted by her professor mother's decision to relocate her to faculty housing, where she is embroiled in school politics.

Sharon Lee is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,547,954 books! | Top bar: Always visible