Rancid Pansies by James Hamilton-Paterson
0650 (1) 21st century (2) 823.914 (1) anagrams (1) British (3) British fiction (1) cooking (1) England (1) Europa Editions (2) fiction (17) finished (1) food (2) gay (3) H (2) humor (9) infuriating (1) Italy (6) literature (2) mooched (1) music (1) novel (4) operas (1) own (1) paperback (1) Princess Diana (2) read (1) Saints (1) to-read (3) Tuscany (1) unread (1)

Brilliant Gerald Samper Novel #3.

This effete over the top "writer" of boring sports celebrities and "master chef" of Mice Krispies returns again when his Tuscan roof-top villa is destroyed in an earthquake, he tells his neighbors that the angel Princess Diana saved him! Hilarious!! ( )
  coolmama | Oct 27, 2010 |
Having not read its predecessor it took me a while to get into this book, but once I did, what a delight! One of the most wonderfully farcical novels I have read in ages, which sparkled with wit. Re-reading the beginning I should have been alerted to the role of anagrams, but being anagram blind myself, the dual role of 'Rancid Pansies' came as a wonderful surprise. I immediately ordered 'Cooking with Fernet-Branca' and look forward to more of Gerald's elegant and bitchy capers. ( )
  ChrisSterry | May 28, 2010 |
Being friends with gay ghost writer and tin-eared aesthete Gerald Samper is not easy since it requires a willingness to sample his nauseating gastronomic innovations – like Badger Wellington farcé with gun-dog pate.

When his beloved Tuscan villa collapses, then a dinner guest dies after having partaken of his mouse vol-au-vent and haddock marmalade, washed down with a liver smoothie, Gerald feels hard done by.

After being forced to corroborate an imaginary account of a visitation by the spirit of the late Princess Diana, Samper is inspired to write an opera about the Queen of Hearts, which is when things get really interesting. Irreverent, witty, beautifully written, and hilarious. ( )
1 vote adpaton | Aug 14, 2009 |
This book is hilarious and delightful. The title may be an anagram. The author is silly and fun and clever and erudite and possibly a good cook and is very fashion conscious. The characters are wonderfully drawn. I have laughed out loud quite a few times while reading it, and at one particular dinner party scene I literally laughed until I cried and had to put the book down for several minutes. I expect I shall have to find and read all of the author's other books now. Highly recommended. ( )
  abirdman | Feb 9, 2009 |

"When we last saw our hero he had taken to his bed in England, his beloved home in Tuscany having inexplicably capsized into a ravin. As Rancid Pansies opens, Samper is recuperating in Sussex...when he learns that film rights to his book on Millie Cleat--the one-armed yachtswoman whose inadvertent death, televised on Christmas Day, gave his book an enormous boost--have been sold. This windfall is sufficient to finance a return to Italy and provide the time to indulge a long suppressed aspiration: to write the librettto for an opera."--P.2 of cover.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,996,302 books! | Top bar: Always visible