The Sandman: Brief Lives by Neil Gaiman

The Sandman: Brief Lives (1994)

by Neil Gaiman, Dick Giordano (Illustrator), Jill Thompson (Illustrator)

Other authors: Todd Klein (Letterer), Dave McKean (Cover artist), Peter Straub (Afterword), Danny Vozzo (Colorist)

Series: The Sandman TPBs (7), The Sandman (41-49)

English (45)  All (1)  Danish (1)  All (47)
As the introduction/afterwards states, Brief Lives is about morality and change. In this volume of the Sandman collection, Delirium and Dream search for their brother, Destruction, who has long since abandoned his role in the Endless. What we are treated to is a basic search story, interlaced with questions as to whether or not the Endless' responsibilities are truly correct; that, and how to deal with change.

Different people have different answers. The highlight of this comic, for me, was the conversation with Destruction near the end. Two sides to every coin, much to consider when it comes to what is right and what is wrong. It was interesting. The linear telling of the story didn't appeal to me as much as the one-shot stories have, but it still was pretty darn good. Makes you think. ( )
  Lepophagus | Jun 14, 2018 |
So this was a fantastic installment in the Sandman series. This was a return to the main storyline (after volume 6's little detours), and I was really glad for that. I enjoyed this volume a lot more. The Endless are such a messed up "family". Which makes them extra cool to read about. ( )
  UDT | May 1, 2018 |
This might be one of my favorite volumes so far in The Sandman overture. The straight linear storytelling I enjoy a bit more than some of the more hectic or random or jumping narratives in previous volumes. I also love to learn more about the mythologies of the Sandman universe, especially in regards to the Endless ones, so getting to see more Delirium, Dream, Despair, Desire, and Destruction is great. Especially with how little this leaned on Death - given that Death plays most prominently among the non-Dream endless ones.

I would love to see more of Destiny as well, but his character is a bit stagnant for storytelling purposes and limited.

The theme of 'change' and how no matter how LONG a life is, that its still a 'brief' life is very interesting and poignant in this volume, and Peter Straub's introduction (that is more an aftermath since it was moved to the back due to being too spoilerish) is very good (possibly the best introduction/ending to any volume, outside of Ellison's). ( )
  BenKline | Jan 11, 2018 |
I love when there are many endless in one volume. This was one of my favorites so far. ( )
  Ahtoosa | Aug 3, 2016 |
Why do I keep reading this series? Because I've invested too much time into it I guess and it's like reading a train wreck of pretension and bad writing. Delirium is one of the stupidest, shallowest characters ever created--if sad little tumblr girls were morphed into a character, it would be her. I think a comic book can be classified as actual literature/art, one day, maybe, possibly, but not today, and certainly not Gaiman's bilge. ( )
  Michael.Xolotl | Nov 11, 2015 |

Gaiman, NeilAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Giordano, DickIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Thompson, JillIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Klein, ToddLetterersecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
McKean, DaveCover artistsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Straub, PeterAfterwordsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Vozzo, DannyColoristsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
As he laye unravelling in the agonie of death, the Standers-by could hear him say softly, I have seen the Glories of the world.
john aubrey
the minutes of lives
For Bob and Allison on the occasion of their engagement. Pete and Dana on the occasion of their wedding. Beth and Chris, on the occasion of my dedicating a book to them. - Neil
for Basil - Jill T.
to Mom and Dad for their encouragement and support and to Khrysta for helping me through the rough times. - Vince
It is of course, a miracle.
The priests of Orpheus have had thousands of years to learn the art of misdirection.
I know how gods begin, Roger. We start as dreams. Then we walk out of dreams into the land. We are worshipped and loved, and take power to ourselves. And then one day there's no one left to worship us.
And in the end, each little god and goddess takes its last journey back into dreams...and what comes after, not even we knows.
Information from the All Common Knowledge. Edit to localize it to your language.

Collects "Brief Lives" parts 1-9, originally published in The Sandman #41-49.

A graphic novel in which Delirium, the youngest of the family known as the Endless, and her brother, Dream, journey through the world of the waking in an effort to locate their missing sibling, Destruction, and Dream struggles to resolve his troubled relationship with his son, Orpheus.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,198,995 books! | Top bar: Always visible