The Ghost Brigades by John Scalzi

The Ghost Brigades

by John Scalzi

Series: Old Man's War (2)

Recently added byJaynee, Erzengel, private library, cptbutton, duanes7

English (114)  Swedish (1)  French (1)  Hungarian (1)  Italian (1)  All (118)
Not bad. What I call neoliberal science fiction ( )
  clarkland | Oct 28, 2017 |
Better than I thought it would be. Damn you Scalzi for making me question morality and the idea of consciousness. Good job, Sir. ( )
  LongTrang117 | Oct 6, 2017 |
Book 2 of Old Man's War is pretty enjoyable. Their were a couple of monologues that I thought were unnecessarily long, but brearable. What I really had a hard time with and almost stopped listenening several times in the first hour, was the reader. They didn't use the same guy as the other two books and man, that was our loss. A couple of the voices he did I found annoying to the extreme. There were characters that I could develop no sympathy for until late in the book because he made them sound so ridiculous. I felt like he wasn't even trying to do characters, but charicatures.
  Eric.Cone | Sep 28, 2017 |
Better than the first. There is hope in this series. ( )
  Berardo.Ioannoni | Jun 23, 2017 |
Book 2 of the Old Man's War triology, The Ghost Brigades serves up a similar dish of the better executed book 1 - Old Man's War. For some reason I didn't enjoy it quite as much, although I really don't understand why. ( )
  bhuesers | Mar 29, 2017 |

John Scalziprimary authorall editionscalculated
Chong, VincentCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Harris,JohnCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Shara Zoll, for friendship and everything else. To Kristine and Athena, for their patience and love.
No one noticed the rock.
Fear isn't the desire to avoid death or pain. Fear is rooted in the knowledge that what you recognize as yourself can cease to exist. Fear is existential.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0765354063, Mass Market Paperback)

The Ghost Brigades are the Special Forces of the Colonial Defense Forces, elite troops created from the DNA of the dead and turned into the perfect soldiers for the CDF's toughest operations. They're young, they're fast and strong, and they're totally without normal human qualms.

The universe is a dangerous place for humanity--and it's about to become far more dangerous. Three races that humans have clashed with before have allied to halt our expansion into space. Their linchpin: the turncoat military scientist Charles Boutin, who knows the CDF's biggest military secrets. To prevail, the CDF must find out why Boutin did what he did.

Jared Dirac is the only human who can provide answers -- a superhuman hybrid, created from Boutin's DNA, Jared's brain should be able to access Boutin's electronic memories. But when the memory transplant appears to fail, Jared is given to the Ghost Brigades.

At first, Jared is a perfect soldier, but as Boutin's memories slowly surface, Jared begins to intuit the reason's for Boutin's betrayal. As Jared desperately hunts for his "father," he must also come to grips with his own choices. Time is running out: The alliance is preparing its offensive, and some of them plan worse things than humanity's mere military defeat…

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:58:13 -0400)

When humanity is threatened by three adversarial races who would halt the world's expansion into space, Jared Dirac, a super-power clone, tries to discover why the scientist who gave him his DNA has revealed key military secrets.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,743,826 books! | Top bar: Always visible