Rubicon Harvest by C. W. Kesting

Rubicon Harvest

by C. W. Kesting

141683,257 (4)None
    A Scanner Darkly by Philip K. Dick (Aeryion)
    Aeryion: The world of Rubicon Harvest seems to be a mixed homage to both Scanner Darkly and A Clockwork Orange in the way the sub-culture of designer drugs are used and abused and how their importance interplay with the expression of self and the experience of perception on reality. The synthetic neurocotic Symphony makes Substance D look like Tic-Tacs. Rubicon Harvest deserves it's place among the medicated plots of these other great postmodern works of spec-fiction!… (more)
    A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess (Aeryion)
    Aeryion: The sub-culture of designer drug use and it's effect on the gritty society within Rubicon call back to A Clockwork Orange like an anesthetized echo. The prevalent use and abuse of the potent designer neurocotic Synth and the language (Illuminese) that the addicts speak amongst themselves is a brilliant homage to Burgess's original genius! This story gave me shivers as I read through the vivid hallucinatory narrative. A must read for every fan of the genre!… (more)
    The Andromeda Strain by Michael Crichton (Desmorph)
    Desmorph: The slippery slope of technology and the evolution of mankind provide a colorful backdrop for this futuristic tale.
    Neuromancer by William Gibson (Aeryion)
    Aeryion: Though Rubicon Harvest is not cyber-punk, the worlds within are reminiscent of Philip K. Dick and Gibson's gritty, raw Sprawl-like society--complete with hyper-advanced computer processing (liquid digital optical processors!) and synthetic designer drugs that make 'jacking -in' and Substance-D seem like candy!… (more)
    Envar Island by C. W. Kesting (Aeryion)
    Seizure by Robin Cook (Desmorph)
    Desmorph: Rubicon Harvest does for stem cell fiction what Robin Cook failed: makes it frighteningly real and human. ANd perhaps something not to outright fear, but certainly contemplate
    Next by Michael Crichton (Desmorph)
    Desmorph: In Next, Crichton takes genetic engineering to comical commercial heights; but with Rubicon Harvest, Kesting brings the future of stem cell science right into our world. Gritty and stunning in it's realism, Rubicon Harvest is a roller coaster ride of tech thrillers. Think Blade Runner meets CSI!!… (more)

Balanced on the slippery slope of technological advancement, Rubicon Harvest paints a fascinating world of future science, politics, and human advancement. It's a story written in the gritty noir style of Blade Runner--a seductive tale with rich narrative and familiar dialogue. The characters are so real that they become indelible images on your mind from the opening chapter. With sexy science and sly speculation on world politics, Kesting abducts us from our comfortable seat of denial in the present and forces us to consider our inevitable evolution.

The plot races out of the opening pages as a mysterious multiple murder that introduces us to Jon Webb, an ex-soldier and veteran of the Arabian Wars (the future result of our continued presence in the Middle East) and Sal Gionetti, inspector detective in charge of the investigation. Gionetti reminds us of Philip K. Dick's character Deckard from "Do Androids Dream..." Soon the murder investigation unveils a corporate conspiracy with roots that lead all the way through the convoluted government of Kesting's future world. As the story races forward, we are treated to revelational and detailed flashbacks that fulfill the character development further giving us the best group of three-dimensional players to come along in a long while. Not since Dean Koontz--at his best--have we seen such richly layered human personalities.

United through a creative series of events, a small band of heroes sprint through the gritty future landscapes in pursuit of the truth behind a diabolical scheme to force the evolution of mankind through the application of stem cell science to alter human consciousness. The plot and the science surrounding it are so plausible that you will find yourself Googling things throughout the entire read. Rubicon Harvest seduces us with it's possibilities and forces us to rethink our bias's.

Kesting doesn't preach for or against the controversy of stem cell science, but rather merely supposes the inevitability of it. This is not a "What if..." story but instead, "How far..." Rubicon Harvest will do for stem cell technology what Andromeda Strain did for microbiology. You will put this book down only to do your own research. This will be a catalyst for discussion for years to come.

Kesting writes with an eloquence rarely seen in todays literary world of mass produced "must-read/best-sellers". While most people are impulse buying the next bubble-gum romance between angst ridden teens and their vampire boyfriends, I encourage any and everyone to give this new author an immediate read. Kesting's voice is rich in vernacular and vibrant in description. The entire book reads like a smooth script. This is a very good movie waiting to be made!! ( )
  Desmorph | Jul 7, 2009 |
A memory is what is left when something happens and
does not completely unhappen.
—Edward de Bono
What does a fish know about the water in which it swims
most of its life?
—Albert Einstein
“Alea iacta est.” (The die has been cast)
—Julius Caesar, upon crossing the Rubicon
Rubicon Harvest is dedicated to the undiscovered authors
of tomorrow’s stories.
“Do you understand?”
The question resonated in his mind. The voice strange and
electronically altered.
Memories echo.
It’s not about metaphysics and karma, you know that, Jon. We
were meant to evolve, whether through natural selection or
technological advances
Technology has robbed us of everything that
made being human fun
Do not confuse the physicality of the brain with the essence of
the mind. It is in the way we experience our world that makes us
human.

Rubicon Harvest offers a futuristic world in which the issues surrounding the utilization of embryonic stem cells have been long resolved and diseases like diabetes and Parkinson’s have been completely eradicated through the Advanced Stem Cell Initiative. Technological breakthroughs in optical computer processing, human genomics, and the globalization of governments through corporate economics have thrust society into quantum leaps of forced adaptation.

Jonathan Webb is a man on the fringe of his own hell, rehabilitating from personal devastation that has left his wife in a vegetative coma and his son severely mentally handicapped. Over a single forty-eight-hour period he finds himself the prime suspect in a mysterious multiple murder. Betrayed by a longtime friend and pursued by corporate assassins, he flees into the shadows of the city, bent on revenge.

Sal Gionetti is the detective assigned to the shocking quadruple murder and soon finds himself immersed in an elaborate corporate conspiracy woven from the threads of greed, power and dangerous hubris. United, the two men lead a small band of renegades to the eventual exposure and collapse of a vulgar plan to enlist Jon’s wife as the prototype for a cerebral interface that would alter the evolution of mankind.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,379,775 books! | Top bar: Always visible