A Man Without a Country by Kurt Vonnegut

A Man Without a Country (2005)

by Kurt Vonnegut

Other authors: Daniel Simon (Editor)

English (61)  Swedish (1)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (63)
I picked this up on a whim at the library and I couldn't have chosen a better read.

Vonnegut was a man that not only wrote about the bombing of Dresden in Slaughterhouse Five, but actually lived through it himself. Using that experience as a lens, he expresses his views on our current conflicts in the middle east. As you can imagine, he takes a hard line stance against warmongering and the glorification of killing. It's not a new perspective, but one that carries some weight while being incredibly interesting to read.

Along side said essays are his interesting musing on life and the human condition. I often find myself searching for meaning in life and welcome any new perspectives, regardless of how pessimistic they may be.

A very enjoyable read that I will be recommending to those that haven't already read it. ( )
  plaeski | Dec 16, 2014 |
For those who have read one or more of Vonnegut's books, this book will seem like a Cliff Notes summary of his thoughts. You may find that this book has little in new information or surprises. However, if you have not read one of his books before or are not familiar with his biography, this might be a good start. It reads like it is a series of short excerpts from an interview, but I would think that he wrote this himself.
Having spent many years in his hometown of Indianapolis, I could easily identify with his early recollections. The family name is still prominent from the architecture that bears the family name. There is a Museum/Library now in his name there.
I recently saw a professional production of an adaptation of three plays from [Welcome to the Monkey House] called 'Who Am I This Time and the Conundrums of Love." Like this book, he has a simple Midwestern common sense approach mixed in yet with a bit of fantasy. Somehow, he makes it work.
Was he the Twain for our times? He just might have been. ( )
  Forthwith | Mar 11, 2014 |
This book is equal parts of all these elements:
-information about history, literature, and writing
-grumpy ramblings of an old man
-insightful wisdom from a man who's lived over 80 years
-a chapter about aliens and God
-religious exploration
-anti-Bush
-pro-saving the earth for the future
-thoughts on war from a former POW

But most of all, it's an encouragement for us to take care of ourselves and of each other and just enjoy our lives while we still have them. ( )
  amyolivia | Oct 25, 2013 |
All of the G.W. Bush/Rumsfeld rants sounded quaint in light of the Tea Party, Koch Bros govt shutdown immorality. Some of this snippet meets essay meets memoir was lovely and funny and sharp, but others fell a bit flat for me. Loved the confetti prints. ( )
  beckydj | Oct 7, 2013 |
Me reí tan agusto con este libro. Kurt Vonnegut es un personaje excepcional. En este libro narra en tono jocoso, con anécdotas y referencias su forma de ver y vivir la vida. No puede un@ sino amar a este autor. ( )
  Amemur | May 31, 2013 |
added by KayCliff | editThe Indexer, Hazel K. Bell (Aug 6, 2009)

Kurt Vonnegutprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Simon, DanielEditorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
There is no reason good can't triumph over evil, if only angels will get organized like the mafia.
As a kid I was the youngest member of my family, and the youngest child in any family is always a jokemaker, because a joke is the only way he can enter into an adult conversation.
If you live long enough, a lot of people close to you are going to die.
Here is a lesson in creative writing. First rule: Do not use semicolons. They are transvestite hermaphrodites representing absolutely nothing. All they do is show you've been to college.
Humor is an almost physiological response to fear.
And on the subject of burning books: I want to congratulate librarians, not famous for their physical strength or their powerful political connections or their great wealth, who, all over this country, have staunchly resisted anti-democratic bullies who have tried to remove certain books from their shelves, and have refused to reveal to thought police the names of persons who have checked out those titles.

So the America I loved still exists, if not in the White House or the Supreme Court or the Senate or the House of Representatives or the media. The America I love still exists at the front desks of our public libraries.

In a collection of brief autobiographical essays, the renowned novelist offers his views on art, politics, and everyday life in America.

Seven Stories Press

2 editions of this book were published by Seven Stories Press.

Editions: 158322713X, 1583227903

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,388,857 books! | Top bar: Always visible