Lit by Mary Karr

Lit

by Mary Karr (Author)

Recently added byprivate library, ElanaB, Julia.Reeb, ArleenWilliams, dm13, jennifersoule, harold371

And now I'm at the end of the trilogy of Mary Karr's memoirs. This one came at a good time as I contemplate writing my own. Again -- I had a hard time relating because I don't drink or do illicit drugs, and I'm also not a poetry fan (and Karr is a poet), but she has a way of crafting words. I thought it was a lot tamer than it could have been, considering the rawness of "The Liar's Club", but it was a different type of rawness, where she dug deep within her heart and owned up to some frailties and faults.

A tough read due to content, but for those interested in memoirs of trainwreck lives turned around, this would fit. ( )
  limamikealpha | Jun 5, 2014 |
This is a sequel, but "lit" is the first work I have read by this offer. I'd say this book is a lot like the hard liquor she battled so hard to kick. It looks pretty in the package, but burns when you first try to ingest it. Soon you're over the initial shock and a warmth spreads over you. I definitely recommend this book, but I couldn't read too many like this in a row. ( )
  dele2451 | Mar 2, 2014 |
Hard to put down. Everything I like in a book chocked into every page. Honest, compelling and deeply heroic. ( )
  Micalhut | Aug 20, 2013 |
Lit. Mary Karr. 2009. This title concludes the trilogy of memoirs, The Liar’s Club and Cherry. In this book Karr basically describes her life when she went to college, got married, had a child and became established as a poet. Karr spent these years getting drunk and trying to deal with her mother and the scars of her dysfunctional childhood. The book reminds me of The Glass Castle. Karr relates the events of these years with brutal honesty and wit. With the help of AA, her AA friends, and her discovery of faith, Karr pulls herself through this nightmare. If you liked the previous memoirs you’ll like this. Interviews with Karr can be found on YouTube. ( )
  judithrs | Jul 18, 2013 |
This is the third of poet Mary Karr's memoirs, covering her college days through her success as a writer. Though in the first half of the book she seems whiny, that's the point. The book details her journey from bottomed-out alcoholic mom to AA supplicant trying to find her "higher power". She shops for a church to belong to, finally settling on Catholicism. Her trials include an irresponsible "taker" of a mother (also a recovering alcoholic), and a set of in-laws who, although they're among the most affluent families in America, are hard-wired for only coldness and frugality when it comes to aiding their proud, struggling poet son and his family. I don't want to suggest that this book is depressing. Far from it. Karr's native sense of humor never fails her even in her darkest moments. The final chapters are beautiful and inspiring, tempting even one such as myself, who has given up on faith in a higher power, to give it another go. ( )
  EricKibler | Apr 6, 2013 |
We believe she means every word, fiercely dredging up memories, however wrenching to revisit. At the same time she's keeping a cool eye on what makes a story work.

In a gravelly, ground-glass-under-your-heel voice that can take you from laughter to awe in a few sen­tences, Karr has written the best book about being a woman in America I have read in years.

“Lit” is by no means a perfect performance: the sections dealing with the author’s ex-husband, Warren, feel oddly fuzzy and abstract, but for the reader who can manage to push those sections aside, the book is every bit as absorbing as Ms. Karr’s devastating 1995 memoir, “The Liars’ Club,” which secured her place on the literary map.

The author reveals how, shortly after giving birth to a child she adored, she drank herself into the same numbness that nearly devoured her charismatic but troubled mother, reaching the brink of suicide before a spiritual awakening led her to sobriety.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,601,083 books! | Top bar: Always visible