dismiss

A Time to Kill by John Grisham

A Time to Kill (1989)

by John Grisham

Series: Jake Brigance (1)

10,202124478 (3.84)129
A Southern town is shocked when a 10-year-old black girl is raped by two white men--until the girl's father takes the law into his own hands.
    To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee (Caramellunacy)
    Caramellunacy: A Time to Kill's courtroom drama and emphasis on race relations in a small town in the South definitely brought to mind the trial scenes in Harper Lee's To Kill a Mockingbird.
    The King of Lies by John Hart (VictoriaPL)
    The Quiet Game by Greg Iles (VictoriaPL)
    The Color of Law by Mark Gimenez (JenniferRobb)
    JenniferRobb: Grisham has several books that deal with racial prejudice in the South, especially when it relates to trials. This is the one whose title I could remember offhand. Gimenez uses some of the same ideas with some of the antagonists in this book that Grisham uses.… (more)
    The Help by Kathryn Stockett (citygirl)
    citygirl: The ugliness of small-town Mississippi in racial matters wrapped in a compelling, page-turning story.

English (119)  Dutch (2)  French (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (123)
Ive seen this movie so many times i figured it was time for me to read the book. Im so glad I did! In my opinion I did feel the movie was better, which I don't usually sway that way but I did this time. This book has revenge, suspense but is also full of love. This can really be controversial if you feel like the law shouldn't be in someone else's hands. But you have to think, if that happened to your daughter, didn't Carl Lee do what every parent would want to do? And others to be to blind by racism to see it that way. I just feel like between the book and the movie you just can't help but be on Carl Lee's side. Loved both the movie and book! ( )
  LiveLaughRead | May 17, 2020 |
813.54 GRI
  alessandragg | Apr 16, 2020 |
This was an ok book. I wish we could give half stars. I'd give it a 3 then, or perhaps a 4-. Not great literature, but an ok read.

I didn't much like the main character and I had problems with the naked racism of virtually everyone. I can't believe the 'n' word was still acceptable in the 1980s, but what do I know?

The book does pose a problem that is worth pondering, what kinds of egregious abuses will make it ok to take the law into one's own hands? In theory, the law should be sufficient, but as we know, such is not always the case. Hell, we now have a SCOTUS justice openly taking bribes from political interest groups (technically, it's his spouse who is getting oodles of cash from those groups). Can you trust such a person to be impartial? I don't. Neither could you trust white people in the US south to be impartial in judging white-against-black violence. ( )
  lgpiper | Jun 21, 2019 |
A Popular Author's First Book

I haven't read any other Grisham - only seen the movies The Firm and Runaway Jury, so I can't say whether his writing has improved. A Time to Kill runs too long, has numerous details that do nothing for the plot and leaves a lot of loose ends in what is an unbelievable tale. The opening chapters use too many adjectives describing characters rather than scenes letting their character show. I especially struggled with the Klan in the early 80s doing things as they had in the 60s. And with the trial continuing in spite of an assassination attempt on lead counsel, a kidnapping of lead counsel's clerk and the fire-bombing of lead counsel's home. An easy read but not a recommendation. ( )
1 vote skavlanj | Oct 22, 2018 |
A good legal thriller by the man who created the genre. This is apparently one of his very first novels. It is a very good one with many good character developments. Did they really use the "n" word so much in that time in Mississippi? Terrible things happen after the rape and brutal beating of a ten year old black girl. Her father takes the law into his own hands and who can blame him...but is it right? The resulting tragedies done by the Klu Klux Klan really make you hate them. The ending of the book seems rather abrupt, though. Was the murder of the poor informant, Mickey Mouse, ever discovered? What about his assistant, Ellen? After her attack, her voice is never heard in the novel again. I would just have liked a little closure on those parts of the stories a little more. ( )
  LilQuebe | Oct 22, 2018 |

John Grishamprimary authorall editionscalculated
Rambelli, RobertaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tremps, EnricTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Renée,
  A woman of uncommon beauty,
  A fiercely loyal friend,
  A compassionate critic,
  A doting mother,
A perfect wife.
Billy Ray Cobb was the younger and smaller of the two rednecks.

Clanton, Mississippi

The life of a ten-year-old girl is shattered by two drunken and remorseless young men. The mostly white town reacts with shock and horror at the inhuman crime. Until the black father acquires an assault rifle - and takes justice into his own outraged hands.

For ten days, as burning crosses and the crack fo sniper fire spread through the streets of Clanton, then nation sits spellbound as young defense attorney Jake Brigance struggles to save his client's life .. and then his own ...

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

John Grisham's book A Time to Kill was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 146,581,111 books! | Top bar: Always visible