The Diary of John Evelyn

by John Evelyn

Other authors: E.S. De Beer (Editor)

These diaries span most of Evelyn's long life--from the reign of James I in 1620 to the reign of Queen Anne in 1706. This selection, based on the Oxford Standard Authors edition, comprises nearly one third of the Diaries and is the only edition now in print.

Old library books, two volumes from 1901
  C.J.J.Anderson | Jun 8, 2014 |
I read Evelyn's Diary after having read Pepys' and Boswell's. The first quarter of Evelyn's Diary about his voyages in France and Italy is really dull. This is a mere description of monuments, with only very few anecdotes. The diary written during the Restoration is much more interesting. I found the description of the damage caused by the Great Fire much better than what Pepys wrote himself. It's also funny to remark that, although Pepys and Evelyn knew each other quite well and frequented the same persons, they had different affinities with the royals. For instance, Evelyn almost never mention the Duke of York, while Pepys does a lot. This is perhaps due to the Duke being a Catholic while Evelyn was a Protestant not willing to compromise with Papists... ( )
1 vote Pepys | Jan 23, 2007 |

John Evelynprimary authorall editionscalculated
De Beer, E.S.Editorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bedoyere, Guy de laEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Bray, WilliamEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dobson, AustinEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Russell, George W. E.Prefacesecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Publisher Series

20 November 1692. A signal Robbery of the Tax mony brought out of the North Country towards Lond; set upon by severall desperate persons, who dismounted and stopt all Travellers on the Rode, and guarding them in a field, when the exploit was don, and The Treasure taken, killed all the Horses of those they had stay'd, to hinder the pursuit of them: 16 Horses they stabbed and then dismis'd those that they had dismounted etc: This done in Hartfordshire.
1643 March the 11th I went to see my L: of Salisbury's Palace at Hatfield; where the most considerable rarity besides the house, (inferior to few for its Architecture then in England) was the Garden and Vineyard rarely well water'd and planted: They also shewd us the Picture of Secretary Cicil in Mosaique-worke very well don by some Italian hand.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 155,623,551 books! | Top bar: Always visible