Gilded: How Newport Became America's…

Gilded: How Newport Became America's Richest Resort

by Deborah Davis

Recently added byprivate library, varielle, omnia_mutantur, gghill1, rbtanger, MissHavisham, mfiehn

This was fun, I love gossipy nonfiction, and this was a lot like watching/reading an intellectually redeemable reality show. There's something delicious about learning about why people who owned Newport mansions referred to them as 'cottages'.

I'd still go for Strapless over this, but I liked it.
  omnia_mutantur | Aug 7, 2012 |
I've been to Newport many many times so I really enjoyed this book. It's not the place of high society so much anymore so I think unless you have an interest in Newport and its mansions or high society of the late 19th century - early 20th century, you might not enjoy it. But I loved it. ( )
  readingfiend | Mar 1, 2012 |
Disappointing. Written in 2-3 page chapters in a very simplistic style, so that it reads more like a collection of blog entries written on a 5th grade reading comprehension level. I'd been hoping for a social history with more meat on its bones--more in depth about the background, personalities, and history of Newport and the main players. ( )
  Marissa_Doyle | May 24, 2011 |
Great fun. Gossipy. Gives one a good feel for the super rich in their summer playground. ( )
  SigmundFraud | Dec 27, 2010 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 047012413X, Hardcover)

A beautifully written history of high society in Newport, Rhode Island, from the acclaimed author of Party of the Century

Newport is the legendary and beautiful home of American aristocracy and the sheltered super-rich. Many of the country's most famous blueblood families?the closest thing we have to royalty?have lived and summered in Newport since the nineteenth century. The Astors, the Vanderbilts, Edith Wharton, JFK and Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis, Doris Duke, and Claus and Sunny von Bulow are just a few of the many names who have called the city home. Gilded takes you along as you explore the fascinating heritage of the Newport elite, from its first colonists to the newest of its new millennium millionaires, showing the evolution of a town intent on living in its own world. Through a narrative filled with engrossing characters and lively tales of untold extravagance, Davis brings the resort to life and uncovers the difference between rich and Newport rich along the way.An engrossing multigenerational saga that tells the real story of the rich and famous in NewportVibrant, praiseworthy writing: "[Davis] brings splendidly colorful behind-the-scenes action and players up front" (the New York Times on Party of the Century)34 evocative black-and-white photographs

Written with insight and dramatic flair, Gilded gives you a rare peek into the cloistered coastal playground of America's moneyed elite.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:43:56 -0400)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,360,721 books! | Top bar: Always visible