The Sandman: Preludes and Nocturnes by Neil…

The Sandman: Preludes and Nocturnes (1991)

by Neil Gaiman

Other authors: Robbie Busch (Colorist), Mike Dringenberg (Illustrator), Malcolm Jones, III (Illustrator), Sam Kieth (Illustrator), Todd Klein (Letterer)2 more, Dave McKean (Cover artist), Danny Vozzo (Colorist)

Series: The Sandman (1-8), Hellblazer (Cameo), The Sandman TPBs (1)

8,812171341 (4.21)1 / 399
Recently added byprivate library, lipsticklibby, alvherre, mrsrobin, kmr86, catlin, kephradyx, MMollin, hchillcat

English (164)  German (2)  Hungarian (1)  French (1)  Finnish (1)  All (1)  Danish (1)  All (171)
I was tired last night and so I read a graphic novel. I had not read Sandman since I was a teenager and never read the first part of the series. This was a solid introduction to the character of Dream and I really enjoyed his quest to find his missing objects. ( )
  Jamichuk | May 22, 2017 |
First of all, Neil Gaiman is, undoubtedly, my favorite author.

To be completely honest, I was never interested in graphic novels. Not because I disliked them, but I never found one I was eager to read. Being a Gaiman fan, I decided that The Sandman would be worth a try. I was having a really crappy day and my boyfriend decided that I needed to visit the library for a book. My chances of finding a book I wanted seemed dismal. That is until my boyfriend found the first to volumes of The Sandman sitting on a re-shelving truck.

Needless to say, I eagerly checked them out and began reading the first on my way home.
I was captivated.

The story, the art, everything. It all worked well together, and I felt foolish for having not reading this sooner. The fact that it takes place in the DC universe also adds a lovely touch of familiarity. It had been so good that my boyfriend, who had been read the majority of the novel by myself, finished the novel himself.

We loved it! ( )
  EmStephenson | May 6, 2017 |
I don't generally read graphic novels (but wanted to start), and I had a hard time getting into this one at first. It's a great story though, and once I got used to the form, it was much a much more enjoyable read. As I understand it, the first volume is the weakest of the collection, so I plan to keep reading for now. ( )
  StefanieBrookTrout | Feb 4, 2017 |
As good as folk said it was. ( )
  deeronthecurve | Jan 19, 2017 |
I bought this many years ago (try a decade) and never read. WHY? I have no idea, but clearly the onus is on me. A wonderful story that is only beginning and I can't wait to to continue on - even more so now that Mr. Gaiman has dropped the wonderful news that there is a new SANDMAN book coming out. ( )
  byshieldmaiden | Jan 17, 2017 |

Klein, ToddLetterersecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
McKean, DaveCover artistsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Vozzo, DannyColoristsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Berger, KarenIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"But where shall wisdom be found? And where is the place of understanding? Man knoweth not the price thereof; neither is it found in the land of the living... for the price of wisdom is above rubies."

THE BOOK OF JOB, Chapter 28, verses 12, 13, 18
"D is for lots of things."
John Dee, All Fools Day 1989
For Dave Dickson: oldest friend. - Neil Gaiman
To my wife Kathy, my pal Tim, and to everyone in jail. - Sam Kieth
To friends & lovers. To Sam, Malcolm, and Neil; may your talents never dim. You made working on this book an indescribable pleasure. To Karen, Tom and Art (without whom this book would not have been possible), thanks for the time and your super-human patience. Special thanks to Beth, Matte, Sigal, the incomparable Barbara Brandt (a.k.a. Victoria), Rachel, Sean F., Shawn S., Mimi, Gigi, Heather, Yann, Brantski, Mai Li, Berni Wrightson (for Cain & Abel) and, as ever, to Cinamon. - Mike Dringenberg
To Little Malcolm - Malcolm Jones III
"Wake up, sir."
But it's funny. I always thought when I became king...I thought there would be applause.
I though somebody would say something.

Contains issues #1-8: Sleep of the just -- Imperfect hosts -- Dream a little dream of me -- A hope in hell -- Passengers -- 24 hours -- Sound and fury -- The sound of her wings

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0446393630, Paperback)

"Wake up, sir. We're here." It's a simple enough opening line--although not many would have guessed back in 1991 that this would lead to one of the most popular and critically acclaimed comics of the second half of the century.

In Preludes and Nocturnes, Neil Gaiman weaves the story of a man interested in capturing the physical manifestation of Death but who instead captures the King of Dreams. By Gaiman's own admission there's a lot in this first collection that is awkward and ungainly--which is not to say there are not frequent moments of greatness here. The chapter "24 Hours" is worth the price of the book alone; it stands as one of the most chilling examples of horror in comics. And let's not underestimate Gaiman's achievement of personifying Death as a perky, overly cheery, cute goth girl! All in all, I greatly prefer the roguish breaking of new ground in this book to the often dull precision of the concluding volumes of the Sandman series. --Jim Pascoe

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:31 -0400)

An occultist attempting to capture Death to bargain for eternal life traps her younger brother, Dream, instead. After his 70 year imprisonment and eventual escape, Dream, a.k.a. The Sandman, goes on a quest for his lost objects of power. Author Neil Gaiman creates an unforgettable tale of the forces that exist beyond life and death by weaving ancient mythology, folklore and fairy tales with his own distinct narrative vision.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,209,380 books! | Top bar: Always visible