So here’s my bio. I bet you think it’s going to be boring, right? Well, guess what? You’re probably right. Bios are always boring. I mean do you really care that I used to be a lawyer and that I teach college courses on academic research and writing? OMG, NO! I think I put myself to sleep typing that!
So what do you want to know? Well, how about a list of things? Lists tend to be easier to read and you can skip the boring stuff. Just don’t skip number 7. You’ll see what I mean:
1. I am Korean American and grew up in NYC. Well, mostly in Brooklyn. I resent the fact that my parents bought a place on the Upper West Side AFTER I moved away.
2. I love food. If you try to come between me and my food, you might get bitten. I’m not a cannibal, just very territorial about my food.
3. I went to NYU and Georgetown U law center.
4. I met my husband while going to law school and ended up staying in the Washington, DC area because my husband refused to move to NY. He said he would miss trees too much. To which I replied, “Hey! A Tree Grows in Brooklyn!”
5. I have 3 amazing, super smart, extremely talented daughters who I’m so very proud of.
6. My nickname is Brooklyn Girl, not because of my accent, which only tends to come out when I’m driving, but because of this story: As I was dancing, a man walked by and grabbed my arm and copped a cheap feel of my left breast. So the raging feminist in me lost her mind and in crazy, self-righteous anger, began to punch the guy as hard as she could, and as many times as she could, knocking him down, and making him let go of her. Da Man [Ellen's husband] reckons I hit that guy at least 10 times before he hit the ground.
Raging Feminist - 100 "you go girl" points vs Nasty Sexual Molester - 0 [...]
Ok so here's the other side of the story. Guy is at a bar and gets rip roaring drunk and accidentally staggers on to the dance floor, trips and grabs at a nearby girl's arm in order to steady himself. The girl is actually insane and turns on said drunken fool and begins to punch him senseless, even as he is falling to the ground. [...]
Insane Girl - 0 vs Drunken Fool - 1000 sympathy points [...]
And I'm pretty sure the only person laughing was Da Man. I distinctly remember him telling the drunken fool's friends not to mind me as I was from Brooklyn. To which one responded, "let's get the hell away from The Brooklyn Girl." And that's how I got my nickname.
7. My maiden name is Ha. I am now an Oh. I dare you not to laugh.
8. I practiced corporate law and then entertainment law for a long time. Entertainment law isn’t as entertaining as it sounds. It’s just contract law for television shows and movies. You don’t even get to meet anyone famous. Although I did get to see my name on an IMAX screen during the end credits. It was huge! Not so impressive when your last name is HA.
9. My favorite teacher ever was my HS English teacher who told me I had an amazing talent for writing and encouraged me to write creatively. He’s the reason I learned to love writing.
[continued on: Ellen Oh website/bio
[retrieved 9/12/2018 from Amazon.com]
Ellen Oh is the president and founder of We Need Diverse Books. She is a former adjunct college instructor and lawyer who has insatiable curiosity about ancient Asian history. She now lives with her family in Bethesda, MD. [from A Thousand Beginnings and Endings