Melvil Decimal System: 891.1
Dewmoji: 📚 > 🗨 > ? > ?
Philosophy and Psychology
Mathematics and Science
Arts and Recreation
Biography and History
American And Canadian
Spanish And Portuguese
Greek and other Classical languages
Literature of other Indo-European languages
Literature of Egyptian, Coptic and North African languages
Altaic, Finno-Ugric, Uralic and Dravidian literatures
Other Literature: Pacific Islands, Basque, Artificial Languages, Georgia, Mesopotamia
Bangladeshi, Hindu and Urdu
Languages of the British Isles (Gaelic, Cornish, Irish, Breton, Welsh)
West and South Slavic languages (Bulgarian, Slovene, Polish, Czech, Slovak, Serbo-Croatian, and Macedonian)
Languages of Eastern Europe (Albania ∙ Armenia ∙ Lithuania ∙ Latvia ∙ and the Balkans)
Works under MDS 891.1
- Fortress Besieged by Qian Zhongshu
- 600 B.C. to the Early Twentieth Century by Susie Tharu
- The Twentieth Century by Susie Tharu
- Shower of Gold: Women and Girls in the Stories of India by Uma Krishnaswami
- An Anthology of Indian Literature by John B. Alphonso-Karkala
- Poetry of Kings: The Classical Hindi Literature of Mughal India (South Asia Research) by Allison Busch
- Cast Me Out If You Will: Stories and Memoir by Lalithambika Antherjanam
- The Slate of Life: More Contemporary Stories by Women Writers of India by Kali for women
- Indian Poetry; Containing "The Indian Song of Songs," from the Sanskrit of the Gîta Govinda of Jayadeva, Two Books from "The Iliad of India" (Mahábhárata), "Proverbial Wisdom" from the Shlokas of the Hitopadeśa, and other Oriental Poems by Edwin Arnold
- Another India: An Anthology of Contemporary Indian Fiction and Poetry by Nissim Ezekiel
- Literatures of India: An Introduction by Edward C. Dimock
- The Big Bookshelf: Sunil Sethi in Conversation with Thirty Famous Authors by Sunil Sethi
- Women Writing in India: 600 B.C. to the Present [complete 2 volume set] by Susie Tharu
- Flesh and Fish Blood: Postcolonialism, Translation, and the Vernacular (FlashPoints) by S. Shankar
- The Performance of Nationalism: India, Pakistan, and the Memory of Partition (Cambridge Studies in Modern Theatre) by Jisha Menon
- Telling Tales: Selected Writings, 1993-2013 by Amit Chaudhuri
- Indisk dikt och tanke by Elin Lagerkvist
- Indian Love Poetry by Anna L. Dallapiccola
- Rig Veda : A Metrically Restored Text With an Introduction and Notes /Book and Disk (Harvard Oriental, Vol 5) (Written in Sanskrit) by Barend Van Nooten
- Stories from India by K. Natwar-Singh
- Indian Literary Criticism: Theory and Interpretation by G. N. Devy
- Painted Words: An Anthology of Tribal Literature by G. N. Devy
- Handbook of twentieth-century literatures of India by nalini natarajan
- Commerce with the Universe: Africa, India, and the Afrasian Imagination by Gaurav Gajanan Desai
- The Wandering Fool, Sufi Poems of a Thirteenth-Century Turkish Dervish by Yunus Emre
MDS classes with significant recommendations overlap, excluding ones under the same top-level class.
What is MDS?
Melvil stands for "Melvil Decimal System," named after Melvil Dewey, the famous librarian. Melvil Dewey invented his Dewey Decimal System in 1876, and early versions of his system are in the public domain.
More recent editions of his system are in copyright, and the name "Dewey," "Dewey Decimal," "Dewey Decimal Classification" and "DDC" are registered trademarked by OCLC, who publish periodic revisions.
LibraryThing's MDS system is based on the classification work of libraries around the world, whose assignments are not copyrightable. MDS "scheduldes" (the words that describe the numbers) are user-added, and based on public domain editions of the system.
The Melvil Decimal System is NOT the Dewey Decimal System of today. Wordings, which are entered by members, can only come from public domain sources. The base system is the Free Decimal System, a public domain classification created by John Mark Ockerbloom. Where useful or necessary, wording comes from the 1922 edition of the Dewey Decimal System. Language and concepts may be changed to fit modern tastes, or to better describe books cataloged. Wordings may not come from in-copyright sources.