Melvil Decimal System: 911.71
Dewmoji: 🗿 > ⚓ > 🔙 > ? > ?
Philosophy and Psychology
Mathematics and Science
Arts and Recreation
Biography and History
Geography, Voyages And Travel
Geography and Travels
Maps and Atlases
Ancient World -- Antiquties And Archaeology
Pacific and Polar Regions
Mexico, Central America, and the Caribbean
South Central U.S.
West Coast U.S.
New Brunswick and Atlantic Provinces
Nova Scotia and Acadia
Works under MDS 911.71
- Historical Atlas of Canada: Volume I: From the Beginning to 1800 by R. Cole Harris
- A Historical Atlas of Canada by D. G. G. Kerr
- Historical Atlas of Canada: Volume III: Addressing the Twentieth Century by Donald Kerr
- Historical Atlas of Canada: Volume II: The Land Transformed, 1800-1891 by R. Louis Gentilcore
- A History of Canada in Ten Maps by Adam Shoalts
- Vancouver: A Visual History by Bruce Macdonald
- Historical Maps of Canada by Michael Swift
- Ontario's history in maps by R. Louis Gentilcore
- Concise Historical Atlas of Canada by William G. Dean
- British Columbia: A New Historical Atlas by Derek Hayes
- Historical atlas of Canada by Geoffrey J. Matthews
- Historical atlas of the Maritime Provinces 1878 by Joan Dawson
- History of Niagara by Janet Carnochan
- The Boundaries of the Canadian Confederation (Carleton Library Series) by Norman L. Nicholson
- Three Centuries and the Island: A Historical Geography of Settlement and Agriculture in Prince Edward Island, Canada by Andrew Hill Clark
- An Historical Atlas of Canada by Lawrence J. Burpee
- Illustrated historical atlas of York County, Ontario by Miles and Company
- Heritage Atlas of Hastings County by Orland French
- Le pays revêche : société, espace et environnement au Canada avant la Confédération by Cole Harris
- Atlas of the Acadian settlement of the Beaubassin, 1660 to 1755 : the great marsh, Tintamarre and Le Lac by Paul Surette
- Openings: A Meditation on History, Method and Sumas Lake by Laura Cameron
- Canada before confederation : maps at the exhibition by Chet Van Duzer
- The Mapmakers' Legacy by Joan Dawson
- Atlas de la Nouvelle-France = An Atlas of New France by Marcel Trudel
- Illustrated historical atlas of the counties of Northumberland and Durham Ont
- Ottawa in maps : a brief cartographical history of Ottawa = Ottawa par les cartes : brève histoire cartographique de la ville d'Ottawa, 1825-1973 by Thomas L. Nagy
- Le Québec; genèses et mutations du territoire; synthèse de géographie historique by Serge Courville
- Illustrated historical atlas of Northumberland and Durham Counties, Ontario by H. Belden & Co.
- Atlas Historique du Quebec le Territoire by Claude Boudreau
- People, places, patterns, processes : geographical perspectives on the Canadian past
- Illustrated historical atlas of Ontario County, Ontario by J. H. Beers & Co.
- Quebec: A Historical Geography by Serge Courville
- Illustrated Historical Atlas of Stormont, Dundas, and Glengarry Counties, Ontario by H & Co. Belden
- Illustrated Historical Atlas of the Counties of Lincoln & Welland, Ont by H.R. Page & Co.
- Historical atlas of York County, N.B. and St. John, N.B. (city and county) by H. E. Halfpenny
- Ontario Central Places in 1871: A Gazetteer Compiled from Contemporary Sources [Canadian Industry in 1871: Research Report 13] by G.T. Bloomfield
- Maps and atlases of the City of Toronto by Charles E. Goad
- Atlas of Toronto: waterfront to Bloor Street and from Don River to Dufferin Street by William Somerville Boulton
- Toronto directory: alphabetical directory of the citizens, and a a street directory by Mights Directories
- Society blue book: a social directory: a reliable directory to over 2500 elite families of Toronto and Hamilton
- Brown's Toronto city and home district directory, 1846-7 containing the names, professions and addresses of the householders in the City of Toronto, alphabetically arranged by George Brown
- The Riel Rebellions, a cartographic history = Le récit cartographique des affaires Riel by William A. Oppen
- Essays on the Historical Geography of the Canadian West: Regional Perspectives on the Settlement Process by L. A. Rosenvall
- Illustrated historical atlas of Hastings and Prince Edward Counties, Ontario by H. Belden & Co.
- Historical atlas of the county of Wellington, Ontario;
MDS classes with significant recommendations overlap, excluding ones under the same top-level class.
What is MDS?
Melvil stands for "Melvil Decimal System," named after Melvil Dewey, the famous librarian. Melvil Dewey invented his Dewey Decimal System in 1876, and early versions of his system are in the public domain.
More recent editions of his system are in copyright, and the name "Dewey," "Dewey Decimal," "Dewey Decimal Classification" and "DDC" are registered trademarked by OCLC, who publish periodic revisions.
LibraryThing's MDS system is based on the classification work of libraries around the world, whose assignments are not copyrightable. MDS "scheduldes" (the words that describe the numbers) are user-added, and based on public domain editions of the system.
The Melvil Decimal System is NOT the Dewey Decimal System of today. Wordings, which are entered by members, can only come from public domain sources. The base system is the Free Decimal System, a public domain classification created by John Mark Ockerbloom. Where useful or necessary, wording comes from the 1922 edition of the Dewey Decimal System. Language and concepts may be changed to fit modern tastes, or to better describe books cataloged. Wordings may not come from in-copyright sources.