The Man Who Walked Between the Towers (2003)

by Mordicai Gerstein

A lyrical evocation of Philippe Petit's 1974 tightrope walk between the World Trade Center towers.

(Growth area: Nonfiction/informational) This was a nerve-wracking read for me because I have an extreme fear of heights. I was afraid he would fall the entire time. Luckily he successfully walked between the towers but he was arrested. After being arrested he was sentenced to perform for children at the park. I thought that was a great choice made by the judge. I don't know why anyone would want to do what he did, but regardless he was brave and left behind a historical moment of the twin towers.
  Cerisenoelle | Jul 10, 2022 |
This book was a great book to read because it added a lot of visual elements as the gentleman in the book wanted to do a stunt between the World Trade Center. It also is a great book to have in the classroom because it provides the visual element to the reader who may not be aware how big these towers were. It adds a bit of a historical component and I like that in books. ( )
  CarlosY | Feb 10, 2022 |
A book that captures the essence of someone's talent and encourages others to explore their own talents and step into it fearlessly. ( )
  Mia_Cha | Feb 9, 2022 |
Beautifully told and illustrated. Hard to believe that this event was only in 1974. I worked on the 97th floor at various times in 1986 and enjoyed the harbor views and the Statue of Liberty. This book is a good tribute to what was there before 9/11. ( )
  deldevries | Sep 9, 2021 |
This book is based on a true story about a man who decided to walk between the twin towers. He was brave enough to do so and it can give the audience a scarce feeling while reading this book. Especially since it is based on true events, it would be more exciting to read about. “I’ve walked through many of places, but I knew walking between the towers would be memorable.” ( )
  vivianarama | Nov 16, 2020 |
Biography

Mordicai Gerstein was already a talented children’s book illustrator when he decided to start writing children’s books of his own. Since then, he has released dozens of titles and has won nearly as many awards for his stories of childhood innocence, spiritual exploration, and imagination gone wild. His biographical story of tightrope walker Philippe Petit won the 2004 Caldecott Medal, making The Man Who Walked Between the Towers the most distinguished American picture book for children in 2004.
added by sriches | editBarnes and Noble Author Biography, Barnes and Noble

Gerstein's ink and oil paintings of that "joyful morning" aren't for anyone with a fear of heights; the perspectives are dizzying enough to make the strongest stomach lurch. — Elizabeth Ward
added by sriches | editThe Washinton Post, Elizabeth Ward

TO PHILIPPE PETIT
for the gifts of his courage,
his impeccable art,
and his mythic sense of mischief
Once there were two towers side by side.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 177,006,709 books! | Top bar: Always visible