Mitigating Circumstances (1993)

by Nancy Taylor Rosenberg

Series: Lily Forrester (1)

Corruption, violence, rape and a mother¿s vengeance are the explosive ingredients of this exceptional thriller. Promotion to chief of the Sex Crimes Division, and a budding romance with colleague Richard Fowler, give DA Lily Forrester the courage to end a bad marriage. Once she gets teenage Shana through the divorce, she can really start to live her own life. But the dream is shattered when a brutal intruder invades her home and attacks Lily and her daughter. And ¿ distraught, terrified, frantic to protect Shana ¿ Lily takes the law into her own hands . . .… (more)

English (5)  Dutch (1)  All languages (6)
I registered this book at BookCrossing.com!

Lily Forrester, ADA and Chief of the Sex Crimes Division of a city in Southern California, is shaken by a horrifying incident in her daughter Shana's life. She abandons all she knows about crime and punishment and decides to go vigilante. Or I believe we are meant to believe she acts out of blind rage and doesn't realize what she is doing until she has done it.

It's a serious subject and it deserves serious treatment. I don't think Rosenberg is a good enough writer to tackle it. I was irritated all the way through by the actions and thoughts of this supposed champion of law. It just didn't ring true. I kept feeling Lily was making excuse after excuse and so was everyone else. ( )
  slojudy | Sep 8, 2020 |
This was a very good read. The story kept you in suspense. ( )
  jeanniea | May 7, 2017 |
It started off difficult for me based on sex and language and harshness. But after that phase passed, it was interesting to see the story unfold and what was going to happen with the main character based on her decisions. ( )
  emily.ann | May 1, 2012 |
This started off well and sucked me in quickly, but my interest lagged towards the end. Whilst it brought up some interesting points about "mitigating circumstances" I felt it could have been explored further and that the ending was a bit of a cop-out. That said, I liked the protagonist and will probably read the sequel to this. ( )
  bigcurlyloz | Feb 16, 2008 |
An interesting read about a ADA who, along with her young teenage daughter is assaulted by a known offender. What can she do to protect her daughter. And how does her history influence what she does.

Interesting. Does ask some interesting question from the reader. ( )
  wyvernfriend | May 31, 2007 |

Belongs to Series

To
Jerry
my beloved husband and very best friend.
Without his support, this book would not have been possible.
Inside the windowless courtroom, a man awaited sentencing for murder.

Lily Forrester is an ambitious Assistant District Attorney on the rise in her professional career and on the bring in her private life. Eager to step into her role as Chief of the Sex Crimes Division, she is also coping with a foundering marriage and the lure of an extremely attractive man.
What keeps her anchored is her quirky 13-yr-old daughter Shana.
But when an intruder invades their home and commits a savage attack against them, Lily heads out on a trail of vengeance beyond any law but that of her own rage. And suddenly, with one shattering act, she finds her life spinning out of control, leaving her nowhere to hide.
But even as a circle of danger closes in on her, Lily Forrester knows that she must find a way out, because there's no turning back.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 151,592,880 books! | Top bar: Always visible