The Bounty: The True Story of the Mutiny on…

The Bounty: The True Story of the Mutiny on the Bounty (2003)

by Caroline Alexander

1,2042710,346 (3.88)76
More than two centuries have passed since Master's Mate Fletcher Christian mutinied against Lieutenant Bligh on a small, armed transport vessel called Bounty. Why the details of this obscure adventure at the end of the world remain vivid and enthralling is as intriguing as the truth behind the legend. In giving the Bounty mutiny its historical due, Caroline Alexander has chosen to frame her narrative by focusing on the court-martial of the ten mutineers who were captured in Tahiti and brought to justice in England. This fresh perspective revivifies the entire saga, and the salty, colorful language of the captured men themselves conjures the events of that April morning in 1789, when Christian's breakdown impelled every man on a fateful course: Bligh and his loyalists on the historic open boat voyage that revealed him to be one of history's great navigators; Christian on his restless exile; and the captured mutineers toward their day in court. As the book unfolds, each figure emerges as a full-blown character caught up in a drama that may well end on the gallows. And as Alexander shows, it was in a desperate fight to escape hanging that one of the accused defendants deliberately spun the mutiny into the myth we know today-of the tyrannical Lieutenant Bligh of the Bounty. Ultimately, Alexander concludes that the Bounty mutiny was sparked by that most unpredictable, combustible, and human of situations-the chemistry between strong personalities living in close quarters. Her account of the voyage, the trial, and the surprising fates of Bligh, Christian, and the mutineers is an epic of ambition, passion, pride, and duty at the dawn of the Romantic era.… (more)

A good, thorough-going history of the Bounty mutiny and its aftermath. Well written and quite readable, for all the detail. ( )
1 vote JBD1 | Aug 7, 2018 |
I love this story and tis well told here. More reading along these lines to come.... ( )
  untraveller | Jun 10, 2018 |
If Alexander wants to tell me a story, I want to listen. I didn't care about the bounty until she told me to. ( )
  Kaethe | Oct 17, 2016 |
A riveting account of an event which most of us feel we already know about. It is very constructed to build up suspense in the 'storytelling' of the events. It is detailed and very well researched yet still leaves many questions unanswered - not least the confusing accounts of what may or may not have happened to Fletcher Christian after the mutiny. ( )
  stephengoldenberg | Apr 6, 2016 |
Listened to the CD version, with reader Simon Prebble (one of my favorite readers). VERY DETAILED book, which seemed to me to be a bit "circular" at first. I suspect it would have been more clear to me had I been reading the print version and not had my attention torn between driving and listening carefully to names and the intricate descriptions of their backgrounds.
Definitely an interesting read, just glad I'm not to be tested on the contents as there was a bit much for me to absorb. I would consider reading the text version next time around.
Interesting to note that the history of the event was/is so strongly colored by the political activity of the day. A reminder that history is often written based on the participants ties to those with political influence. Author definitely attempted to put the event in the perspective of the times in which it occurred and how various factors contributed to the public knowledge of and opinion about the event. ( )
  KylaS | Feb 18, 2016 |
To Smokey
His small vessel pitching in the squally winter sea, a young British naval lieutenant waited restlessly to embark upon the most important and daunting voyage of his still young but highly promising career.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,116,354 books! | Top bar: Always visible