Ex-Heroes by Peter Clines

Ex-Heroes

by Peter Clines

Series: Ex-heroes (1)

In a Los Angeles ravaged by a zombie plague, a group of former superheroes protect the survivors.

Pretty much just okay. Little disappointed by the lack of depth, but it's a book about superheros and zombies, and superhero zombies, and the action scenes were pretty decent and the plot moved along nicely. It was fun mapping out Clines's versions of our own supers.

But the science was dumb, the characters a little flat and very, very white (except for the bad guys of course)... I probably won't bother with the sequel and would recommend Austin Grossman's Soon I Will Be Invincible instead. ( )
  prufrockcoat | Dec 3, 2019 |
Ex-Heroes by Peter Clines is the first book in a series about a group of super-heroes trying to survive and help others during the zombie apocalypse. I’ve always had a soft spot for zombie stories but who knew how much fun they would become by adding a few super heroes to the mix. This is a fun mash up of genres that is chock full of violence, action and zombies.

The setting is post-zombie apocalypse Los Angeles. The survivors take up residence in the large major movie studio which they call The Mount (Paramount). Having a group of super-heroes with them is exceeding helpful when it comes to chores like scavenging among the millions of zombies that wander the streets of LA. But like many zombie stories the real danger is from other living humans in particular a surviving gang called the Seventeens. Our group of superheroes consist of St. George who is super strong, can breath fire and is impervious to the bite of the zombie. There is also Cerberus, Lady Bee, Zzzap, Regenerator and Stealth all with their own special skills.

The story is told in two time-frames, both the current and the past so we get a good idea of how the zombies came into being, how the superheroes developed and how the current battle evolved. While I found the superheroes were fairly well rounded and interesting characters, the human characters were less so and eventually just seemed to be fodder for the action scenes. As this is the first book in a series, it serves more as a foundation for what is to come. I couldn’t help but feel that this would perhaps have been more riveting if it had been a graphic novel. Nevertheless, I enjoyed the story with it’s different perspective on a zombie apocalypse. ( )
  DeltaQueen50 | Apr 5, 2019 |
In a dystopian zombie filled world, the superheroes of Southern California are protecting the surviving humans in a fortified Paramount Studios. A fun amuse bouche of a story. I enjoy the superhero genre and like when the author comes up with their own take on the usual tropes, and Cline does not disappoint. Stealth, Gorgon, Zzzap and the Mighty Dragon, to name a few. This is an interesting look at what happens when a world that has super/meta beings come crashing down during an Ex-human (Clines' world doesn't like to use the Z word) apocalypse. Its the start of a 5 book series, that I'm going to have to continue.

8/10

S: 2/8/19 - 2/20/19 (13 Days) ( )
  mahsdad | Mar 6, 2019 |
This will certainly be optioned as a movie (if it hasn't yet), and it'll be a good summer popcorn flick. But it was pretty silly at many points. ( )
  patl | Feb 18, 2019 |
The premise of this book sounded interesting - and fun. And at the start it seemed to be what it promised to be, but as I went on I found myself losing interest in the story and the characters.
Nothing I can truly put my finger on, but still it didn't work for me. ( )
  SpaceandSorcery | Dec 25, 2018 |

Clines, Peterprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bartlett, JonathanCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hvam, KhristineNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Snyder, JayNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Katie had been on the walls of the Mount for two hours, leaning against the Earth, when St. George dropped out of the sky wearing a leather flight jacket.

I'm pretty sure you already know who I am. As for everyone else... I don't think there are enough people left to make a secret identity worth the effort.
Stealth. Gorgon. Regenerator. Cerberus. Zzzap. The Mighty Dragon. They were heroes. Vigilantes. Crusaders for justice, using their superhuman abilites to make Los Angeles a better place.

Then the plague of living death spread around the globe. Despite the best efforts of the superheroes, the police, and the military, the hungry corpses rose up and overwhelmed the country. The population was decimated, heroes fell, and the city of angels was left a desolate zombie wasteland like so many others.

Now, a year later, the Mighty Dragon and his companions must overcome their differences and recover from their own scars to protect the thousands of survivors sheltered in their film studio-turned-fortress, the Mount. The heroes lead teams out to scavenge supplies, keep the peace within the walls of their home, and try to be the symbols the survivors so desperately need.

For while the ex-humans walk the streets night and day, they are not the only threat left in the world, and the people of the Mount are not the only survivors left in Los Angeles. Across the city, another group has grown and gained power.

And they are not heroes.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Peter Clines's book Ex-Heroes was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 142,343,960 books! | Top bar: Always visible