HomeGroupsTalkExplore

Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret (1970)

by Judy Blume

Faced with the difficulties of growing up and choosing a religion, a twelve-year-old girl talks over her problems with her own private God.
    Then Again, Maybe I Won't by Judy Blume (Cecrow)
    Eleven by Lauren Myracle (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: With humor and insight, both of these girl-pleasing novels highlight concerns with family, friends and school. Margaret also looks at physical development, as well as religion.

I read this book as a girl; just wanted to read it again, this time with an adult perspective. Not bad, but I do think Ms. Blume could have carried the book out just a little farther. It ended so abruptly, I thought. ( )
  AuntieG0412 | Jan 23, 2023 |
Although dated as far as a lack of racial diversity, otherwise much of the decades old subject matter here is similar to what’s found in current contemporary middle-grade stories, navigating friendships, trying to fit in, first crushes, and the changes in your body and the judgment that sometimes comes with those changes.

Where this book goes its own way is in it’s exploration of religion which it doesn’t do in much detail nor does it force any one faith on the reader or even on Margaret. I thought it was interesting to see Margaret’s parents give her the freedom to figure out what if any religion works for her and that journey she’s on as well as the estrangement due to religion in her family are things I haven’t encountered all that often in children’s fiction.

Some readers may find the writing style here is too simple for their taste, but the lack of pretension and the way it doesn’t go overboard with descriptions felt right in capturing the voice of an average kid.

The one area I’m torn over is the ending, on one hand, it’s a realistic match for the slice of life tone to not really have any finality to it, on the other hand I craved a slightly more satisfying, less abrupt wrap up. ( )
  SJGirl | Jan 16, 2023 |
I never read this book growing but thought that my tween daughter was of an age that might be interested so I thought I'd give it a quick read through. It is funny to me that anyone would be practicing and excited to get their period but I guess when it is an idea of "being a woman," it could viewed that way by some girls, but that wasn't me. The characters and story are cute and fun and almost seem innocent compared to a lot that of what our children are exposed to on the internet today. I remember Judy Blume was very controversial when I was a kid but it seems almost old-fashioned and wholesome to me now. Even so, I think girls today would relate to the characters and enjoy the book. ( )
  JediBookLover | Oct 29, 2022 |
Independent Reading 10+
Awards: Outstanding Book of the Year, New York Times. Time Magazine All-Time 100 Novels List. Scholastic Magazine’s Parent and Child 100 Greatest Books for Kids
  alexleealston | Oct 28, 2022 |
Classic Judy Blume relatable story of childhood and growing up mentally and physically. Margaret is every girl in sixth grade. I am reading through a list of banned books, and this one, surprisingly, is often banned. Slow down, Karen. Your daughter doesn't need Judy Blume to tell her about garters and bras and boys. Likewise, your son already experiences girls like Margaret every day. ( )
  GhostDuchess | Apr 8, 2022 |
To my Mother
The Coleman Family
Are you there God? It's me Margaret.
Are you there God, it's me Margaret. Life is getting worse every day. I'm going to be the only one who doesn't get it. I know it God. Just like I'm the only one without a religion. Why can't you help me?
"Oh, you're still flat," Nancy laughed.
"Not exactly," I said, pretending to be very cool. "I'm small-boned is all."

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 182,756,944 books! | Top bar: Always visible