Can We Save the Tiger? by Martin Jenkins

Can We Save the Tiger?

by Martin Jenkins, Vicky White (Illustrator)

A look into various animal species that are either on the verge of extinction, or were on the verge of extinction, but are coming back through the effort of conservationists.
  AmandaTolmachev | Aug 11, 2018 |
A great addition to a science talk/read aloud. Beautiful illustrations and concise, not overly technical facts about endangered species. And not just about the tiger, as I expected.
  Jaded.Animal | Dec 3, 2017 |
Can We Save the Tiger? by Martin Jenkins is a children's book about endangered species and why it's important to try to save them.

When I first picked this up, I assumed it was going to be about Bengal tigers in general due to the cover illustration. It was a lovely surprise to see that the book touches on numerous different animals, some that are already endangered, and others that are on the brink of extinction.

Students love the illustrations and simple facts. It's a meaningful lesson for them to learn about how our human behaviors have altered the world and disrupted ecosystems.

This is perfect for schools, libraries, or a home library.

5***** ( )
  Mischenko | Nov 30, 2017 |
Summary:
Can We Save the Tiger? By Martin Jenkins is an informational book about the world’s most endangered species. The author writes about extinct animals such as the Dodo, Steller Sea Cow, Marsupial wolf, Great Auk and Broad- faced Potoroo. He also writes about the different endangered animals such as the Tiger, Asian Elephant, Sloth Bear, African Hunting Dog and various insects and reptiles as well. The author writes about animals, which were once endangered but have grown back to healthier numbers. Such as the American Bison and White Rhinoceros. It is a great book about the history and conservation of wildlife.

Personal reaction:
I thought this was a great book especially with the unique way of drawing the extinct and endangered animals. The extinct animals are drawn in grey scale. The endangered animals are drawn with grey scale slowly engulfing the living color of the animal. This is a very effective symbolic technique of the illustrator. It was very informal and I did not know there were so many extinct animals. The author includes the Latin names, place of origin and numbers left of each of the animals. This book helps children understand that we need to take care of the environment that we live in, in order to protect the animals we have now. The illustrations are very detailed pencil drawings and almost look photogenic.

Classroom extensions:
1. Teach the children on conservation and environmental change as well as the negative effects it has on wildlife.
2. Visit an extinct and endangered museum.
3. Discuss methods on how we can prevent endangered animals from becoming extinct. ( )
  Robyn7 | Jul 25, 2016 |
The world is not only home to billions of humans, but other kinds of living things as well. Humans have drastically changed the earth to make room for ourselves and to produce things we need. Some animals have learned to cope with the changes. Some have been unable to and have become extinct. Can we help those species who are struggling to survive in an ever changing environment?
  bcelaya | Nov 11, 2015 |

Martin Jenkinsprimary authorall editionscalculated
White, VickyIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
For Nick, of course -M.J.
For Kes and Maggie -V.W.
The world's quite a big place, you know. But it's not that big, when you consider how much there is to squeeze into it.

The team behind the award-winning APE returns with an inspiring look at a range of endangered species sure to engage every child who loves animals.

Tigers are pretty special — and so are ground iguanas and partula snails and even white-rumped vultures. But these and many other animals are in danger of disappearing altogether, joining the dodo, the marsupial wolf, the great auk, and countless other animals we will never see again. Using the experiences of a few endangered species as examples, Martin Jenkins highlights the ways human behavior can either threaten or conserve the amazing animals that share our planet. Vicky White’s stunning portraits of rare creatures offer a glimpse of nature’s grace and beauty — and give us a powerful reason to preserve it.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:45 -0400)

The tiger is just one of thousands of animals -- including the ground iguana, the white-rumped vulture, and the partula snail -- currently in danger of becoming extinct, joining the dodo, the marsupial wolf, the great auk, and countless others we will never see again.… (more)

Candlewick Press

An edition of this book was published by Candlewick Press.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,962,073 books! | Top bar: Always visible