The Devil Wears Prada by Lauren Weisberger

The Devil Wears Prada (2003)

by Lauren Weisberger

Series: The Devil Wears Prada (1)

8,531None356 (3.33)136
2006 (36) American (25) audiobook (20) chick lit (656) comedy (26) contemporary (41) contemporary fiction (34) fashion (351) fiction (832) humor (127) journalism (19) library (21) made into movie (53) magazine (45) movie (54) New York (143) New York City (76) novel (81) own (55) paperback (22) publishing (26) read (145) read in 2006 (25) Roman (28) romance (34) to-read (106) unread (38) USA (25) women (34) work (24)

English (172)  French (5)  Dutch (3)  Danish (2)  Italian (1)  German (1)  Finnish (1)  Swedish (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (187)
Sorry I stooped so low as to read this. I will note that the boyfriend and the best friend were the least likable characters for me, which I don't think was the intent there. ( )
  thatotter | Feb 6, 2014 |
I absolutely LOVED this book! I thought it was cute, funny, and chic! Andrea was just great and I love listening to her little comments or thoughts after Miranda sent her on a job to do. Miranda was just pure evil and mean, I really don't know how Andrea or Emily stayed working for her as long as they did. Maybe all the free designer clothes and purses they got? They had to be pretty awesome!

I was able to watch the movie right after I read this and it was really good! The book of course was much better! I listened to this book on my Audible and the narrator was great, so easy to listen to! ( )
  BeckyGandee | Nov 14, 2013 |
Re-read in advance of the sequel. ( )
  lucy3107 | Sep 23, 2013 |
Reseña de Fantasía Mágica

Llegué al libro por haber visto la película (sino no se hasta qué punto me hubiese interesado por él), y aunque esperaba que se parecieran, terminaron siendo dos historias muy diferentes. Se mantiene la idea básica de la jefa déspota, pero nada más.

El argumento es bastante sencillo, ya que gira en torno al trabajo de la protagonista y las relaciones y emociones pasan a un segundo o tercer plano (además de que aunque quisiera seguir con su vida, no tendría tiempo de hacerlo).

El diablo viste de Prada me resultó realmente divertido. En serio.
Hay una cantidad considerable de sarcasmo e ironía, y me he reido mucho con la forma en que se cuentan las situaciones que padece la pobre Andrea a causa de su jefa, con sus exigencias tan diversas como ridículas.
Trabajar para Miranda Priestly es malo para la salud.

Andrea decide tomar ese empleo porque resistir un año con Miranda equivale en experiencia a cinco años en otros lugares. Lo que no le dijeron es que ese trabajo por el que miles de chicas darían un ojo de la cara sería como perder cinco años de vida, y despertaría en ella instintos asesinos (llevados con mucho humor).
"Miranda llevaba su ropa sucia a la oficina y a mí me correspondía, qué afortunada, llamar a la tintorería y comunicarles que teníamos mercancía. (...) Mi trabajo era, intelectualmente, cada vez más estimulante."
Me gustó especialmente que aunque estuviese sumergida en el mundo de la moda, a Andrea no pudieran importarle menos su aspecto, las marcas carísimas por las que todos se desviven o el glamour del que se ve rodeada. Si la personalidad de la protagonista hubiese sido diferente, parte del encanto del libro se habría perdido. ( )
  outlanders22 | Sep 21, 2013 |
I will freely and bashfully admit that no, I was not aware this was a book. I am a "meh" fan of the movie. I don't mind it, but it's not epic IMO, which is the same way I felt about the book.

It's a great read, and I am NOT a fan of Chick-Lit so to even have bought it (granted, $2 at a secondhand bookshop) was a big deal. But I thought it was a lot of fun. Poor Andy Sachs just wants to be a writer, and instead is a personal assistant to the boss from hell.

It's a fun book, plus it manages to get across the strained friend and family relationships Andy has through the stress of her job. And while we understand that her family/friends/boyfriend need her, we understand completely that she can't just ditch Miranda. It's out of the question.

The ending differs from the movie, but I liked both of them and probably couldn't pick a preferred one. I do recommend it if you're a fan of Chick-Lit, or even just want something light to read. ( )
  littleton_pace | Jun 22, 2013 |
I really like the book. It is not a quality book but you just want to finish the book as quick as you can. Almost every girl likes fashion. So many girls would kill for Andrea Sachs's job. She must be so lucky to get to work for the most powerful woman in fashion publishing and wear all those beautiful clothes. And you feel sympathizes for the main character of the book. Their is also a lot of humor in the book.
added by NaomiKallendorf | editJust me

Lauren Weisbergerprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Mutsaers, SabineTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Talvitie, TiinaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Beware of all enterprises that require new clothes. -- Henry David Thoreau, Walden 1854
My Mother, Cheryl, the mom "a million girls would die for" ; My father, Steve, who is handsome, witty, brilliant, and talented, and who insisted on writing his own dedication; my phenomenal sister, Dana, their favorite (until i wrote a book).
The light hadn't even officially turned green at the intersection of 17th and Broadway before before an army of overconfident yellow cabs roared past the tiny deathtrap i was attempting to navigate around the city streets.
Miranda was, as far as I could tell, a truly fantastic editor. Not a single word of copy made it into the magazine without her explicit, hard-to-obtain approval, and she wasn't afraid to scrap something and start over, regardless of how inconvenient or unhappy it made everyone else.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0307275558, Mass Market Paperback)

It's a killer title: The Devil Wears Prada. And it's killer material: author Lauren Weisberger did a stint as assistant to Anna Wintour, the all-powerful editor of Vogue magazine. Now she's written a book, and this is its theme: narrator Andrea Sachs goes to work for Miranda Priestly, the all-powerful editor of Runway magazine. Turns out Miranda is quite the bossyboots. That's pretty much the extent of the novel, but it's plenty. Miranda's behavior is so insanely over-the-top that it's a gas to see what she'll do next, and to try to guess which incidents were culled from the real-life antics of the woman who's been called Anna "Nuclear" Wintour. For instance, when Miranda goes to Paris for the collections, Andrea receives a call back at the New York office (where, incidentally, she's not allowed to leave her desk to eat or go to the bathroom, lest her boss should call). Miranda bellows over the line: "I am standing in the pouring rain on the rue de Rivoli and my driver has vanished. Vanished! Find him immediately!"

This kind of thing is delicious fun to read about, though not as well written as its obvious antecedent, The Nanny Diaries. And therein lies the essential problem of the book. Andrea's goal in life is to work for The New Yorker--she's only sticking it out with Miranda for a job recommendation. But author Weisberger is such an inept, ungrammatical writer, you're positively rooting for her fictional alter ego not to get anywhere near The New Yorker. Still, Weisberger has certainly one-upped Me Times Three author Alex Witchel, whose magazine-world novel never gave us the inside dope that was the book's whole raison d' etre. For the most part, The Devil Wears Prada focuses on the outrageous Miranda Priestly, and she's an irresistible spectacle. --Claire Dederer

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:32:40 -0400)

A delightfully dishy novel about the all-time most impossible boss in the history of impossible bosses.

Six editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,502,587 books! | Top bar: Always visible