The Devil Wears Prada by Lauren Weisberger

The Devil Wears Prada (2003)

by Lauren Weisberger

Series: Prada (1)

9,458208309 (3.34)161
    The Bonfire of the Vanities by Tom Wolfe (citygirl)
    citygirl: Skewers those at the top of the heap in NYC. Both quite funny.
    Beyond the Blonde by Kathleen Flynn-Hui (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Beyond the Blonde and The Devil Wears Prada are chick lit novels about small-town women who, through their jobs, are thrust into the drama and demands of New York celebrity society.
    The Knockoff by Lucy Sykes (Anonymous user)
    The Agency by Ally O'Brien (citygirl)
    The Misadventures of Oliver Booth: Life in the Lap of Luxury by David Desmond (infiniteletters)
    Schooled by Anisha Lakhani (jbarry)
    Streetsmart by Nicholas Coleridge (jayne_charles)

English (192)  French (5)  Dutch (3)  Danish (2)  Italian (1)  German (1)  Finnish (1)  Swedish (1)  Spanish (1)  All (207)
Reread: 1/1/2014 - WOW a second reading of this book sucked. I found that I did not like the Andy in the book at all. If Andy is supposed to be Lauren Weisberger I don't ever want to meet her either. Not only is Ahn-dre-ah snotty but she's self-righteous and never ever learns from her experience. It's a book to bash Miranda Priestly (Anna Wintour) and that's all.

Yes, I'll admit working for that woman would suck; but Andy looks down on every single person at the magazine and people who read fashion magazines. Oh it's not the New Yorker (who rarely, if ever, publishes female authors) so it can't be any good. Oh they're so skinny whine whine whine.

Miranda and Emily both tell her repeatedly how they know she thinks she's better than everybody else. And Andy NEVER EVER gets it (because Miranda is the bad guy). Upon second reading, this book reminds me of "Japan Took the J.A.P. Out of Me" https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/6636839-japan-took-the-j-a-p-out-of-me. It's a whiny book.

The movie is still a lot more fun and Andy in the movie is WAY more sympathetic than the one in the book. Andy in the book is just a whiny bitch.

Again, this is another book I'm listening to while inputting all my data. I've read the book before, so I'm not missing anything really.

I'm not a huge fan of the voice actress. She's okay, but maybe I've seen the movie too many times and I wish I could hear Anne Hathaway's voice instead. My biggest gripe is with her "voice" for Andrea's boyfriend and her southern brother-in-law and sister. I hate people who do really bad southern accents, over acting it to make it seem as if all southerners were stupid idiots. Also her male voices were awful, I mean really, really bad. The only voices she did well were the voices for Andy and Miranda Priestly.

The book is pretty cliche. It's Nanny Diaries but not as well written. Girl goes through insanely tough boss and survives only to find herself finding a her dream at the end. Yay. It'd be nice if the real world was like that.

It did bother me that her friends and family weren't just a little more supportive. Okay, yeah, working for Miranda sucked, but everybody starts at the bottom. At least everybody I know who's made any kind of success in her life. Sometimes you work for real buttheads who ask you to do some really insane stuff. And you need your friends to back you up instead of giving you hell because you're not spending every waking moment with them. I think this was more of the author's decision than what "realy" happened. The book is based on the author and the author's friends lives of starting out in the world. Miranda Priestly slightly based on Anna Wintour of Cosmopolitan (supposedly she's just like this!)

And it bothers me tremendously that she sold all the stuff. *sigh* Oh well, I guess sometimes you need money more than you need awesome free Prada. But again, it drives me nuts that the author tried to make her so saintly. In the movie it made sense to have Andy give the clothes to Emily.

It's kind of an annoying book. If you enjoyed the movie, skip the book. There's nothing new in the book.

Personally, the movie is deliciously better than the book. I think it might be because of Anne Hathaway and Meryl Streep. I just loved Meryl Streep as Miranda Priestly, "That is all."

From the book: A delightfully dishy novel about the all-time most impossible boss in the history of impossible bosses.

Andrea Sachs, a small-town girl fresh out of college, lands the job “a million girls would die for.” Hired as the assistant to Miranda Priestly, the high-profile, fabulously successful editor of Runway magazine, Andrea finds herself in an office that shouts Prada! Armani! Versace! at every turn, a world populated by impossibly thin, heart-wrenchingly stylish women and beautiful men clad in fine-ribbed turtlenecks and tight leather pants that show off their lifelong dedication to the gym. With breathtaking ease, Miranda can turn each and every one of these hip sophisticates into a scared, whimpering child.

THE DEVIL WEARS PRADA gives a rich and hilarious new meaning to complaints about “The Boss from Hell.” Narrated in Andrea’s smart, refreshingly disarming voice, it traces a deep, dark, devilish view of life at the top only hinted at in gossip columns and over Cosmopolitans at the trendiest cocktail parties. From sending the latest, not-yet-in-stores Harry Potter to Miranda’s children in Paris by private jet, to locating an unnamed antique store where Miranda had at some point admired a vintage dresser, to serving lattes to Miranda at precisely the piping hot temperature she prefers, Andrea is sorely tested each and every day—and often late into the night with orders barked over the phone. She puts up with it all by keeping her eyes on the prize: a recommendation from Miranda that will get Andrea a top job at any magazine of her choosing. As things escalate from the merely unacceptable to the downright outrageous, however, Andrea begins to realize that the job a million girls would die for may just kill her. And even if she survives, she has to decide whether or not the job is worth the price of her soul.
  wendithegray | May 1, 2017 |
Nothing original to add that hasn't already been said about the book and the movie, though movie characters were much more interesting than those in the book. Andrea Sachs hates her job and has an absolutely horrible boss. She's supposed to be bright, with an Ivey League education and had traveled the world. It's frequently been said that she was a small town girl, but she was from Providence, not that small. I tried to remember how witless I was when first out of college, but this character takes the cake. She's not to leave the office except when sent on many errands, but she is constantly sneaking off to smoke, call her friends and try to eat in this weight conscious atmosphere. She makes it apparent to all that the position is beneath her. After nearly a year of knowing that she can't get away for lunch she never clued in that you can pack your lunch. Despite being given specific instructions about what to do and not do, when to speak and not speak, she can never seem to get it right. The likelihood that an office assistant would be allowed unlimited and unaccountable access to large sums of money is a bit far fetched, even in a lucrative business. Since this was written pre-crash and before the magazine industry hit the doldrums I suspect this type of carelessness would never be allowed today. She is perpetually late and seems incapable of planning or anticipation. Her family and boyfriend are not supportive of her career. The guilt they lay on her for not rushing home when on an overseas assignment because an alcoholic friend was in a car accident was ridiculous. She should have ditched the guy and taken up with the handsome writer. Despite contrived, unrealistic situations and my many criticisms, this was still a fun read. ( )
  varielle | Apr 8, 2017 |
I wasn't super impressed with this book. It was just okay. I didn't particularly like the main character, Andy, very much. Part of her problem with her job was she didn't want to do the work being asked of her because she didn't find it important. It was just "fashion". Her boss picked up on that and became more demanding of her. That's part of human nature. Also, I was completely unimpressed with Andy's temper tantrum at the end. Having said all of that, I did like how the novel ended. It showed both Lily and Andy were trying to grow up. ( )
  jguidry | Oct 24, 2016 |
NYC 1st job — nightmare — others would die for — asst to a Big Mag - Fashion

Andrea Sachs, a small-town girl fresh out of college, lands the job “a million girls would die for.” Hired as the assistant to Miranda Priestly, the high-profile, fabulously successful editor of "Runway "magazine, Andrea finds herself in an office that shouts "Prada! Armani! Versace!" at every turn, a world populated by impossibly thin, heart-wrenchingly stylish women and beautiful men clad in fine-ribbed turtlenecks and tight leather pants that show off their lifelong dedication to the gym. With breathtaking ease, Miranda can turn each and every one of these hip sophisticates into a scared, whimpering child.
  christinejoseph | Sep 16, 2016 |
Better than the movie of course!
Listened on audio Rachael Leigh Cook - good ( )
  Indygirl | Aug 4, 2016 |

Lauren Weisbergerprimary authorall editionscalculated
Mutsaers, SabineTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Talvitie, TiinaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Beware of all enterprises that require new clothes. -- Henry David Thoreau, Walden 1854
My Mother, Cheryl, the mom "a million girls would die for" ; My father, Steve, who is handsome, witty, brilliant, and talented, and who insisted on writing his own dedication; my phenomenal sister, Dana, their favorite (until i wrote a book).
The light hadn't even officially turned green at the intersection of 17th and Broadway before before an army of overconfident yellow cabs roared past the tiny deathtrap i was attempting to navigate around the city streets.
Miranda was, as far as I could tell, a truly fantastic editor. Not a single word of copy made it into the magazine without her explicit, hard-to-obtain approval, and she wasn't afraid to scrap something and start over, regardless of how inconvenient or unhappy it made everyone else.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0307275558, Mass Market Paperback)

It's a killer title: The Devil Wears Prada. And it's killer material: author Lauren Weisberger did a stint as assistant to Anna Wintour, the all-powerful editor of Vogue magazine. Now she's written a book, and this is its theme: narrator Andrea Sachs goes to work for Miranda Priestly, the all-powerful editor of Runway magazine. Turns out Miranda is quite the bossyboots. That's pretty much the extent of the novel, but it's plenty. Miranda's behavior is so insanely over-the-top that it's a gas to see what she'll do next, and to try to guess which incidents were culled from the real-life antics of the woman who's been called Anna "Nuclear" Wintour. For instance, when Miranda goes to Paris for the collections, Andrea receives a call back at the New York office (where, incidentally, she's not allowed to leave her desk to eat or go to the bathroom, lest her boss should call). Miranda bellows over the line: "I am standing in the pouring rain on the rue de Rivoli and my driver has vanished. Vanished! Find him immediately!"

This kind of thing is delicious fun to read about, though not as well written as its obvious antecedent, The Nanny Diaries. And therein lies the essential problem of the book. Andrea's goal in life is to work for The New Yorker--she's only sticking it out with Miranda for a job recommendation. But author Weisberger is such an inept, ungrammatical writer, you're positively rooting for her fictional alter ego not to get anywhere near The New Yorker. Still, Weisberger has certainly one-upped Me Times Three author Alex Witchel, whose magazine-world novel never gave us the inside dope that was the book's whole raison d' etre. For the most part, The Devil Wears Prada focuses on the outrageous Miranda Priestly, and she's an irresistible spectacle. --Claire Dederer

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:16 -0400)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,224,462 books! | Top bar: Always visible