The Devil Wears Prada (2003)

by Lauren Weisberger

Series: Prada (1)

10,527208472 (3.33)174
Andrea Sachs is the personal assistant to Miranda Priestly, the high-profile, fabulously successful editor of Runway magazine. As can be imagined, the relationship of Ms. Priestly to Ms. Sachs is one of unmitigated oppression, enormous egoism, and blatant disregard for human feeling. Andrea is given a series of increasingly degrading and mind-bogglingly menial tasks, and must complete all of them, around the clock, without complaint. What induces Andrea to suffer this treatment? It is the dangled promise that a recommendation from Miranda will get Andrea a top job at any magazine of her choosing. But as her burden increases, she realizes that she may have made a deal with the devil, and that the price of a future job may be her very soul.… (more)
    The Bonfire of the Vanities by Tom Wolfe (citygirl)
    citygirl: Skewers those at the top of the heap in NYC. Both quite funny.
    Beyond the Blonde by Kathleen Flynn-Hui (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Beyond the Blonde and The Devil Wears Prada are chick lit novels about small-town women who, through their jobs, are thrust into the drama and demands of New York celebrity society.
    The Knockoff by Lucy Sykes (Anonymous user)
    The Agency by Ally O'Brien (citygirl)
    The Misadventures of Oliver Booth: Life in the Lap of Luxury by David Desmond (infiniteletters)
    Schooled by Anisha Lakhani (jbarry)
    Streetsmart by Nicholas Coleridge (jayne_charles)

English (191)  French (5)  Dutch (3)  Danish (2)  Spanish (2)  Italian (1)  German (1)  Finnish (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (207)
liked it a lot more than i thought i would! for 'chick lit' it was really well written and super-interesting. ( )
  gakgakg | May 28, 2020 |
I gave up on this book about halfway through. I really enjoyed the movie, so I thought the book would be equally entertaining. However, I was highly disappointed. Andy is stuck up, whiny, and pretentious. She spends every second complaining about her job and how helpful her parents are and how sweet her boyfriend is (why oh why can't he be a hot bad boy). This book is pretty much nothing but first world problems and I couldn't take anymore. ( )
  ChelseaMcE | Mar 19, 2020 |
Andrea (at the beginning of the book) and I have one thing in common... I don't have even the slightest bit of interest in fashion.

I suppose the book itself isn't too terrible (at least not if you enjoy fashion and can tell the difference between Chanel and Gucci - I certainly can't), but it is very repetitive, and could probably lose about 150 pages of redundant repeats without losing much in the way of story.

Ultimately, this is one of those rare occasions where the movie is actually better than the book. Meryl Streep is glorious as Miranda Priestley, and Anne Hathaway is one of those uber talented, lovely and just all-round perfect individuals whose mere existence makes so much as getting out of bed a pointless exercise for us mere mortals (for male equivalent, see Hugh Jackman). Put them together, alongside the brilliant Stanley Tucci, and you have a great movie, no matter what the subject matter may be.

The movie is a great watch for pretty much anyone. The book is probably only really worth it for fashion nuts... ( )
  Sammystarbuck | Feb 23, 2019 |
Waste of time. Complain, complain, complain, complain, fuck you, warm and fuzzy ending. Seriously? I suppose the appeal is the idea that one gets a behind the scenes look at Vogue. Meh. ( )
  CatherineBurkeHines | Nov 28, 2018 |
I found The Devil Wears Prada to be a cliche at times. The story was not bad and moved along at a nice pace. I did love the characters, that was the best part of the whole book.

The book is a good beach read. Not too demanding on the mind. Just easy and straight forward to read in one sitting. ( )
  purpledog | Jun 8, 2018 |

Lauren Weisbergerprimary authorall editionscalculated
Dunne, BernadetteNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mutsaers, SabineTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Talvitie, TiinaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Beware of all enterprises that require new clothes. -- Henry David Thoreau, Walden 1854
My Mother, Cheryl, the mom "a million girls would die for" ; My father, Steve, who is handsome, witty, brilliant, and talented, and who insisted on writing his own dedication; my phenomenal sister, Dana, their favorite (until i wrote a book).
The light hadn't even officially turned green at the intersection of 17th and Broadway before before an army of overconfident yellow cabs roared past the tiny deathtrap I was attempting to navigate around the city streets.
Miranda was, as far as I could tell, a truly fantastic editor. Not a single word of copy made it into the magazine without her explicit, hard-to-obtain approval, and she wasn't afraid to scrap something and start over, regardless of how inconvenient or unhappy it made everyone else.
ISBN 0007156103 is for The Devil Wears Prada

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 151,750,279 books! | Top bar: Always visible