SantaThing signup ends Monday at 12pm Eastern US. Check it out!
dismiss

The Devil Wears Prada (2003)

by Lauren Weisberger

Series: Prada (1)

Andrea Sachs is the personal assistant to Miranda Priestly, the high-profile, fabulously successful editor of Runway magazine. As can be imagined, the relationship of Ms. Priestly to Ms. Sachs is one of unmitigated oppression, enormous egoism, and blatant disregard for human feeling. Andrea is given a series of increasingly degrading and mind-bogglingly menial tasks, and must complete all of them, around the clock, without complaint. What induces Andrea to suffer this treatment? It is the dangled promise that a recommendation from Miranda will get Andrea a top job at any magazine of her choosing. But as her burden increases, she realizes that she may have made a deal with the devil, and that the price of a future job may be her very soul.… (more)
Recently added bywood2wn, brian.oshea, Myrajensen, Rennie90, private library, sdnkwn, DeSmetLibrary1, AllisonFoster
    The Bonfire of the Vanities by Tom Wolfe (citygirl)
    citygirl: Skewers those at the top of the heap in NYC. Both quite funny.
    Beyond the Blonde by Kathleen Flynn-Hui (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Beyond the Blonde and The Devil Wears Prada are chick lit novels about small-town women who, through their jobs, are thrust into the drama and demands of New York celebrity society.
    The Knockoff by Lucy Sykes (Anonymous user)
    The Agency by Ally O'Brien (citygirl)
    The Misadventures of Oliver Booth: Life in the Lap of Luxury by David Desmond (infiniteletters)
    Schooled by Anisha Lakhani (jbarry)
    Streetsmart by Nicholas Coleridge (jayne_charles)

English (194)  French (5)  Danish (2)  Dutch (2)  Spanish (2)  Italian (1)  German (1)  Finnish (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (209)
Funny. ( )
  mbellucci | Apr 10, 2021 |
See my review for Pamela. ( )
  irrelephant | Feb 21, 2021 |
Okay.... Honestly, I'm rather dissapointed with this book. I hate to say this, but the movie was better.

The book wasn't badly written, I just really, really disliked this version of Andy. In the book she's a whining, self-centered, stealing (yes, stealing. Making all those extra expenses and charging them to the company is stealing. She even admits she does it to spite her employer) and disrespectful person.

Also, Miranda isn't nearly as evil as the title wants you to believe. She's just demanding, and rightfully so (in my opinion. She didn't get were she's now without working hard).
As for the complaints for being on call 24/7: Andy was hired as a personal assistant. That comes with the territory, everyone knows that. And the promised pay-off for a year of servitude isn't bad either.

Here's the big difference between the movie and the book: the girl Ann Hathaway portrayed seemed to have a nice personality, Andy Sach's personality is bordering on vile.
It takes her best friend having an almost-fatal accident to have her consider anyone else then herself, and even then, I, as a reader, am not convinced this is a lasting change.
The subjects of her freelance stories (which sound like they're bordering on tell-all vengeance) seem to support this.

Oh, and the way Andy leaves Paris? Rather immature. I understand the stress of the past year building up, but really, I don't believe that warrants the cursing.

This review was probably a bit of a rambling, that's just because my thoughts on the book. If it hadn't been for Andy Sachs, I would have liked it. ( )
  HeyMimi | Dec 28, 2020 |
this was exactly what i wanted right now. i'm not sure how much i'd like it at a different point of time, but this was the perfect light palate cleanser, reset that i needed. i thought it would be more about fashion than it was, thankfully. the main character actually knows nothing about fashion when she ends up working for the biggest fashion magazine and the most "important" fashion diva around. it was more about that awful experience, and how someone's priorities can totally shift, or maybe how easy it is to make excuses for yourself. i know that i related more than i wish i did to the main character, and to making the decisions she did, when she shouldn't have.

there are some continuity issues with the writing - a couple made it genuinely hard to understand what was happening at some points. but overall this was an easy, fun, sometimes cheeky read that reminds you of what matters. ( )
  overlycriticalelisa | Nov 15, 2020 |
liked it a lot more than i thought i would! for 'chick lit' it was really well written and super-interesting. ( )
  gakgakg | May 28, 2020 |

Lauren Weisbergerprimary authorall editionscalculated
Dunne, BernadetteNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mutsaers, SabineTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Talvitie, TiinaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Beware of all enterprises that require new clothes. -- Henry David Thoreau, Walden 1854
My Mother, Cheryl, the mom "a million girls would die for" ; My father, Steve, who is handsome, witty, brilliant, and talented, and who insisted on writing his own dedication; my phenomenal sister, Dana, their favorite (until i wrote a book).
The light hadn't even officially turned green at the intersection of 17th and Broadway before before an army of overconfident yellow cabs roared past the tiny deathtrap I was attempting to navigate around the city streets.
Miranda was, as far as I could tell, a truly fantastic editor. Not a single word of copy made it into the magazine without her explicit, hard-to-obtain approval, and she wasn't afraid to scrap something and start over, regardless of how inconvenient or unhappy it made everyone else.
ISBN 0007156103 is for The Devil Wears Prada

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,344,757 books! | Top bar: Always visible