The Devil Wears Prada by Lauren Weisberger

The Devil Wears Prada (2003)

by Lauren Weisberger

8,970201334 (3.33)149

English (185)  French (5)  Dutch (3)  Danish (2)  Italian (1)  German (1)  Finnish (1)  Swedish (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (200)
I hated this book. Hated it. Andy was horrible, inconsistent and fully of contradictions. Awful. And I love the movie, I thought it would have at least been enjoyable to see the background. ( )
  Jackie_Sassa | Nov 20, 2015 |
I loathed this book! Even though I was reading it for a book club and really felt I should finish it, I just couldn't. ( )
  lucybrown | Sep 27, 2015 |
Listened to the audiobook version. Definitely chick lit. I have no interest in fashion, designers or anything, but I had enjoyed watching the movie so I figured I'd give this audiobook a chance. It was okay. I actually preferred the movie. ( )
  Barb_H | Sep 10, 2015 |
I really like the book. It is not a quality book but you just want to finish the book as quick as you can. Almost every girl likes fashion. So many girls would kill for Andrea Sachs's job. She must be so lucky to get to work for the most powerful woman in fashion publishing and wear all those beautiful clothes. And you feel sympathizes for the main character of the book. Their is also a lot of humor in the book.
added by NaomiKallendorf | editJust me

Lauren Weisbergerprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Mutsaers, SabineTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Talvitie, TiinaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Beware of all enterprises that require new clothes. -- Henry David Thoreau, Walden 1854
My Mother, Cheryl, the mom "a million girls would die for" ; My father, Steve, who is handsome, witty, brilliant, and talented, and who insisted on writing his own dedication; my phenomenal sister, Dana, their favorite (until i wrote a book).
The light hadn't even officially turned green at the intersection of 17th and Broadway before before an army of overconfident yellow cabs roared past the tiny deathtrap i was attempting to navigate around the city streets.
Miranda was, as far as I could tell, a truly fantastic editor. Not a single word of copy made it into the magazine without her explicit, hard-to-obtain approval, and she wasn't afraid to scrap something and start over, regardless of how inconvenient or unhappy it made everyone else.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0307275558, Mass Market Paperback)

It's a killer title: The Devil Wears Prada. And it's killer material: author Lauren Weisberger did a stint as assistant to Anna Wintour, the all-powerful editor of Vogue magazine. Now she's written a book, and this is its theme: narrator Andrea Sachs goes to work for Miranda Priestly, the all-powerful editor of Runway magazine. Turns out Miranda is quite the bossyboots. That's pretty much the extent of the novel, but it's plenty. Miranda's behavior is so insanely over-the-top that it's a gas to see what she'll do next, and to try to guess which incidents were culled from the real-life antics of the woman who's been called Anna "Nuclear" Wintour. For instance, when Miranda goes to Paris for the collections, Andrea receives a call back at the New York office (where, incidentally, she's not allowed to leave her desk to eat or go to the bathroom, lest her boss should call). Miranda bellows over the line: "I am standing in the pouring rain on the rue de Rivoli and my driver has vanished. Vanished! Find him immediately!"

This kind of thing is delicious fun to read about, though not as well written as its obvious antecedent, The Nanny Diaries. And therein lies the essential problem of the book. Andrea's goal in life is to work for The New Yorker--she's only sticking it out with Miranda for a job recommendation. But author Weisberger is such an inept, ungrammatical writer, you're positively rooting for her fictional alter ego not to get anywhere near The New Yorker. Still, Weisberger has certainly one-upped Me Times Three author Alex Witchel, whose magazine-world novel never gave us the inside dope that was the book's whole raison d' etre. For the most part, The Devil Wears Prada focuses on the outrageous Miranda Priestly, and she's an irresistible spectacle. --Claire Dederer

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:16 -0400)

A delightfully dishy novel about the all-time most impossible boss in the history of impossible bosses.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,909,019 books! | Top bar: Always visible