The Devil Wears Prada by Lauren Weisberger

The Devil Wears Prada (2003)

by Lauren Weisberger

Series: The Devil Wears Prada (1)

8,791193344 (3.33)146

English (177)  French (5)  Dutch (3)  Danish (2)  Italian (1)  German (1)  Finnish (1)  Swedish (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (192)
Andrea Sachs moves to New York City, hoping to land her dream job of working for The New Yorker. Things don’t go quite to plan, but eventually Andrea manages to land a job in publishing as the assistant to Miranda Priestly, editor-in-chief of the fashion magazine Runway. Although Andrea isn’t interested in fashion, and doesn’t know Versace from Valentino, she’s assured that after one year with Miranda she’ll be able to land a position at any magazine she wants. Miranda, however, is a terror to work for. Unpredictable, impatient, and absolutely lacking any respect for her subordinates, Miranda runs Andrea ragged. If her coffee isn’t precisely the right temperature, Miranda screams. If Andrea is unable to locate a contact based on vague descriptions along the lines of “the man we always use”, it’s her own fault. As her relationships collapse, Andrea struggles to keep her eye on the prize.

This is a fun book. At first, I couldn’t pinpoint exactly why I enjoyed it, but now I think it now: Andrea gets what she deserves. She annoyed me from the beginning; she’s ungrateful for her incredible job opportunity, and spends enough of the book scorning the people she works with that it became enjoyable when Miranda Priestly took a big dump on her. I mean, Andrea doesn’t care about fashion and is only using the job to get ahead. Fair enough. But maybe Miranda senses this and dumps on Andrea all the more because of it? Or maybe she’s just a cruel, terrible boss. Hard to say. But I’m the first to admit that if I knew someone was working with me not because they cared about our product, but only because they wanted to use my connections to skip an extra few years of grunt work, I doubt I’d shower them with favors.

Having said that, Miranda Priestly is a great villain. She’d be right at home in the Disney pantheon with Ursula, Maleficent, and the Evil Queen. Why? She’s figured out what she wants out of life and she wants it done, no excuses. She gives absolutely no f*cks about her employees’ personal lives or mental states. This makes her demanding, rude, and a terror to work for. As the reader, you love to hate her, but you also admire just how completely narcissistic and cruel the woman can be. What extreme action will she take next? You don’t know and Andrea doesn’t dare to guess, but you can’t wait to find out.

Is this great literature? Hell no. I probably wouldn’t even classify it as ‘good’. But it’s funny, and it’s mindless, and it’s entertaining. It made me laugh ten years ago and it still made me smile today. ( )
  makaiju | Feb 22, 2015 |
I read very little gossipy fiction, this was an exception I enjoyed this book, it was cute. ( )
  Willow1972 | Feb 8, 2015 |
I realise this came out a fair few years ago and to be fair, I did read it a good few years ago.

I'm not going to write a proper review because it would be a waste of words. I'm just going to say this (and I have NEVER said this before):

The movie was 100x better than this. You go, Hollywood! ( )
  Aly_Locatelli | Jan 26, 2015 |
Did not finish. I'm not sure which is worse, the narrator or the "devil." Both are equally uninteresting. ( )
  lesmel | Jun 26, 2014 |
I am not really a fun of what they call "chicks books", but I had reed some of them and had fun. This one was not one of them. The author repeats herself and the main character is weak and everybody around has more personality and attitude. Watch the movie is better. First time I said this.... ( )
  CaroPi | May 6, 2014 |
I really like the book. It is not a quality book but you just want to finish the book as quick as you can. Almost every girl likes fashion. So many girls would kill for Andrea Sachs's job. She must be so lucky to get to work for the most powerful woman in fashion publishing and wear all those beautiful clothes. And you feel sympathizes for the main character of the book. Their is also a lot of humor in the book.
added by NaomiKallendorf | editJust me

Lauren Weisbergerprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Mutsaers, SabineTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Talvitie, TiinaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Beware of all enterprises that require new clothes. -- Henry David Thoreau, Walden 1854
My Mother, Cheryl, the mom "a million girls would die for" ; My father, Steve, who is handsome, witty, brilliant, and talented, and who insisted on writing his own dedication; my phenomenal sister, Dana, their favorite (until i wrote a book).
The light hadn't even officially turned green at the intersection of 17th and Broadway before before an army of overconfident yellow cabs roared past the tiny deathtrap i was attempting to navigate around the city streets.
Miranda was, as far as I could tell, a truly fantastic editor. Not a single word of copy made it into the magazine without her explicit, hard-to-obtain approval, and she wasn't afraid to scrap something and start over, regardless of how inconvenient or unhappy it made everyone else.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0307275558, Mass Market Paperback)

It's a killer title: The Devil Wears Prada. And it's killer material: author Lauren Weisberger did a stint as assistant to Anna Wintour, the all-powerful editor of Vogue magazine. Now she's written a book, and this is its theme: narrator Andrea Sachs goes to work for Miranda Priestly, the all-powerful editor of Runway magazine. Turns out Miranda is quite the bossyboots. That's pretty much the extent of the novel, but it's plenty. Miranda's behavior is so insanely over-the-top that it's a gas to see what she'll do next, and to try to guess which incidents were culled from the real-life antics of the woman who's been called Anna "Nuclear" Wintour. For instance, when Miranda goes to Paris for the collections, Andrea receives a call back at the New York office (where, incidentally, she's not allowed to leave her desk to eat or go to the bathroom, lest her boss should call). Miranda bellows over the line: "I am standing in the pouring rain on the rue de Rivoli and my driver has vanished. Vanished! Find him immediately!"

This kind of thing is delicious fun to read about, though not as well written as its obvious antecedent, The Nanny Diaries. And therein lies the essential problem of the book. Andrea's goal in life is to work for The New Yorker--she's only sticking it out with Miranda for a job recommendation. But author Weisberger is such an inept, ungrammatical writer, you're positively rooting for her fictional alter ego not to get anywhere near The New Yorker. Still, Weisberger has certainly one-upped Me Times Three author Alex Witchel, whose magazine-world novel never gave us the inside dope that was the book's whole raison d' etre. For the most part, The Devil Wears Prada focuses on the outrageous Miranda Priestly, and she's an irresistible spectacle. --Claire Dederer

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:32:40 -0400)

A delightfully dishy novel about the all-time most impossible boss in the history of impossible bosses.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,243,276 books! | Top bar: Always visible